How to silent a socket 7 Pentium 200?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

raphaelmsx

How to silent a socket 7 Pentium 200?

Post by raphaelmsx » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:57 am

Hi!

I want to silent down my old socket 7 system.

The specs are:
Asus P5A mobo
Intel Pentium 200MHz MMX CPU
Generic ATX PSU
Casetek CK-151 desktop ATX case (very generic)

The questions are:

Can I use a socket 370 cooler like Nexus AXP-3200? If not, what are the silent socket 7 coolers you recommend?

Can I use the Silverstone ST30NF fanless PSU without any case fan?

Thanks!

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:19 am

How big is the heatsink that's already on it? Does it look like it has a decent amount of fin area? Unless it's very short/small, it may be able to cool the processor completely fanless and passive.

Engine

Post by Engine » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:27 am

Yeah, I had a couple of passive Socket 7s; the 200 doesn't produce too much heat, and a passive cooler - mine were all tallish - works fine if you have decent airflow. Unfortunately, fewer decent passive coolers were available for the 7 than were available for Slot 1; I had a passive cooler on a P2-450, which produced a lot more heat than a P-200, but it had three times as much linear surface, and thus a whole lot more total surface area.

Alternately, you can always fan swap or undervolt the fan.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:00 am

If it's anything like the Pentium/K6 heatsinks I've got, they're a tiny chunk of aluminum with a whinny little fan on them. When my fan died on my K6-200, the system would freeze. I currently have an $5 SVC heatsink on it. It's never crashed when running completely passive. (sitting on my desk with no case and no direct airflow) But it does get very hot. A 80mm fan at 5V keeps it plenty cool. If it was in a case with good airflow, it would probably be fine fanless. Socket 7 is the same dimensions as socket 370/A. I think it only has one mounting lug though.

Either of these would probably do fine:

$7.99 GLOBAL WIN FA782N CPU COOLER FOR AMD K7

$4.49 COOLER MASTER DP5-6I31D-A1 CPU COOLER FOR AMD K7 AND INTEL 370

raphaelmsx

Post by raphaelmsx » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:55 am

Thanks all for the answers.

So, can I go completly passive with a good heatsink with fan removed (like the Nexus AXP-3200) for the CPU, a fanless PSU, no case fan, and HD on smartdrive 2002 enclosure, or it´s too much risky?

Or... at least one quiet case fan?

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:12 pm

I'd be very surprised if you had any problems going completely fanless. However, I personally wouldn't be very comfortable with a 3.5" drive in a true fanless computer (regardless of whether it was in an enclosure).

I must admit that my fanless Pentium 120 had a 3.5" drive just sort of crammed in there...but this was an ancient 2gig drive which I really didn't care about. I replaced it with an enclosed 2.5" drive, but only because I had it to spare.

disphenoidal

Post by disphenoidal » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:20 pm

Older drives can be very noisy as well. If the drive is the same vintage as the processor, it may make lots of bearing noises.

hapveg

Post by hapveg » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:43 pm

I tried running an AMD 200+ fanlessly using a modernish aluminium heatsink with fan disabled, it'd be fine until it had been under 100% load for about an hour, needed a tiny bit of airflow. With heatsink designed to run fanlessly (like the Zalman 6000) you should be OK.

For the last about year I've been running an Intel 863Mhz without a CPU fan using a Zalman CNPS6000-ALCU, it has a (quiet) PSU fan though. Under load it reaches about 60 centigrade.

It had been using a PATA Spinpoint 120GB hdd in a Zalman cooler sat outside the case for about 6 months, max temp about 42C, for the last few months it's been in an Arctic Cooling hdd enclosure, and the drive reaches about 47C. That PC is on 24/7, and uses Artic Silver Ceramic glue (or whatever it's called), since modern headsinks don't like old sockets (desktop case, so the cpu socket is horizontal).

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:22 am

I would think that the CPU should be easy to cool ... it will be the PSU and the HDDs that will make the noise. Good luck sourcing a quiet AT power supply; fanless probably won't be an option unless you just rip the fan out of the existing PSU ... and I wouldn't recommend that.

If you're using a modern HDD you should probably be OK ... but I kind of wonder whether it's worth spending the money for such an old system. If you're going with a Pentium vintage HDD, I don't think you'll be able to silence it effectively, even with an enclosure; those ball-bearing drives are NOISY, especially when they've had time to age.

raphaelmsx

Post by raphaelmsx » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:41 am

The mobo has only an ATX power connector, so I will add the Silverstone fanless PSU. I am currently using a Fujitsu 18GB 10K RPM SCSI and pretend to swap for a IDE card reader with a Sandisk or Lexar 8GB CF card. This don´t produce many heat as an HDD, right?
Devonavar wrote:I would think that the CPU should be easy to cool ... it will be the PSU and the HDDs that will make the noise. Good luck sourcing a quiet AT power supply; fanless probably won't be an option unless you just rip the fan out of the existing PSU ... and I wouldn't recommend that.

If you're using a modern HDD you should probably be OK ... but I kind of wonder whether it's worth spending the money for such an old system. If you're going with a Pentium vintage HDD, I don't think you'll be able to silence it effectively, even with an enclosure; those ball-bearing drives are NOISY, especially when they've had time to age.