Contemplating a new system build.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NyteOwl

Contemplating a new system build.

Post by NyteOwl » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:45 pm

Preliminary 1st draft specs (subject to change):

Case: Antec P180B
PSU: Antec Phantom 500
Motheboard: Asus M2N32 WS Professional
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 5000+
Memory: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C3
Video: Asus EN7600GS TOP SILENT/HTD/512
HDD: 4x Seagate Barracuda 2700.10 250GB
Optical1: Plextor 755SA or 760A
Optical2: ASUS Quietdrive DVD-E616A DVD-ROM
FDD: 3.5" Teac

Possible future additions: flash card reader, hardware RAID card, second video, additional memory

Any comments/suggestions regarding cooling/silencing/etc appreciated.

Howard

Post by Howard » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:42 pm

I'm not a fan of fanless PSUs (no pun intended) or even semi-fanless PSUs because the internals must run hotter than those of fanned PSUs. Not good for longevity.

Core 2 Duo is faster than the X2, so you might wanna check that out. If you OC, you can get an E6300 and Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 for about $335 after shipping, though it doesn't come with an HSF. EDIT: Oops, didn't see that you're Canadian.

Why not go with 2 500GB drives?

Running two 7600GS cards would be pointless. Sell the 7600GS and get a faster one if you want to upgrade.

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:11 pm

Howard wrote:I'm not a fan of fanless PSUs (no pun intended) or even semi-fanless PSUs because the internals must run hotter than those of fanned PSUs. Not good for longevity.
True enough.
Core 2 Duo is faster than the X2, so you might wanna check that out. If you OC, you can get an E6300 and Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 for about $335 after shipping, though it doesn't come with an HSF. EDIT: Oops, didn't see that you're Canadian.
Core 2 duo isn't enough faster to warrant the price difference, and I prefer AMD all other things being equal. Ditto for Asus over Gigabyte. I never overclock as I prefer stability to speed and overclocking shortens component life as much as overheating does.
Why not go with 2 500GB drives?
The 4 250's will be in a RAID 5 array. The machine really doesn't need that much native storage but based on the price differential between 160 to 500 GB drives the 250's are the best value while leaving some room for expansion.
Running two 7600GS cards would be pointless. Sell the 7600GS and get a faster one if you want to upgrade.
Actually the speculation at the time I wrote it was the possible addition of a PhysX card but have since dropped that idea.

moritz

Post by moritz » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:12 am

Go for that hardware RAID card you mention in the first post if you're serious about that RAID 5. But remember: RAID is not backup! Personally, I'd go for a C2D, I don't see why you don't think it's price is competitive. But anyway, sounds like a fairly mean workstation you got there. :)

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:17 am

NyteOwl wrote:
Howard wrote:I'm not a fan of fanless PSUs (no pun intended) or even semi-fanless PSUs because the internals must run hotter than those of fanned PSUs. Not good for longevity.
True enough.
I've been running with a Phantom 500 in a P180 case for over a year with just a 500 RPM Nexus cooling both the PS and the hard drives. The power supply fan has never come on because the top heat sink has never gotten above 45*C, and is usually much lower than that. Especially since I shed 100 W by switching from an 830 D to an E6600.

IMO the silence of the Phantom is well worth the cost, and at these temperatures it will run for many years.

Howard

Post by Howard » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:12 pm

NyteOwl wrote:
Core 2 duo isn't enough faster to warrant the price difference, and I prefer AMD all other things being equal. Ditto for Asus over Gigabyte. I never overclock as I prefer stability to speed and overclocking shortens component life as much as overheating does.
What will you be using the rig for?

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:30 am

Pretty much a general purpose rig. Some software development, some web design, some graphics manipulation, a bit of audio dubbing/editing, standard business type apps, an occasional game or two, maybe a little distributed projects work.

Shadowknight

Re: Contemplating a new system build.

Post by Shadowknight » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:12 am

NyteOwl wrote: Possible future additions: flash card reader, hardware RAID card, second video, additional memory
I don't know if Tiger Direct has a Canadian branch, but if you want a Flash reader that includes a floppy drive, always good for legacy stuff, and you're hardcore about wanting it black to match the rest of the case, I've had success with Ultra. Mitsumi doesn't support Asus boards :roll: They're the only 2 companies that make black floppy/flash drives.

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:54 pm

don't know if Tiger Direct has a Canadian branch, but if you want a Flash reader that includes a floppy drive, always good for legacy stuff, and you're hardcore about wanting it black to match the rest of the case, I've had success with Ultra. Mitsumi doesn't support Asus boards They're the only 2 companies that make black floppy/flash drives.
Thanks for the heads up on the Mitsumi flash reader.

Yes there is a Canadian outlet - www.tigerdirect.ca - with decent prices.

Is this the one you mean? http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... &CatId=962

I had been considering these (I know - big price difference):

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... 18&CatId=0
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... 47&CatId=0

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:35 pm

Yep. Oviously, you just need to pick what's best for you. But if you're concerned about old stuff on floppies, I'd go with the ultra. If you don't need that, then go with one that's more versatile with the various flash media cards.

Good luck.