What's you opinion on this C2D system?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

IceFire
Friend of SPCR

What's you opinion on this C2D system?

Post by IceFire » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:11 am

Hello,

I'm trying to spec out a new system and need you advice. Let me know what you think of my choose.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
MB: Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3 (integrated graphics)
Case: Antec P180B (the new one)
Memory: Mushkin 2 GB DDR2 800
HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250 GB (might go 2x with raid 0)
HSF: Scythe SCNJ-1000P 120mm
PS: either Antec NeoHE 430 or modified Seasonic S12-380
Fans: Depending one the fans that comes with the P180B, I might buy some Nexus to replace them.

I trying to figure out what to do about the PS. Should I just go with the NeoHE or the Seasonic. I don't need 430 watt but is a stragiht through design which will work better for this case. If I go with the S12, I would remove the fan, block the fan opening, open upt the back, and use the fan that is mounted between the PS and the HD cage.

I like to go Raid 0 for that little extra performance but don't know know much extra the noise will be. I might just go with one and see. If it is reasonable quiet, I get the second.

I will not use the fan that comes with the Scythe. Instead, I will duct it to the rear case fan.

Due to budge, I'm going to use the built in graphics card, but like to move off of it. Any one have recommendation on a good fanless card?

Thanks in advance.

ekendahl

Post by ekendahl » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:06 am

I'm having a similar system built. I'm using a sonata II box (with included power supply).

I've added a MSI NVIDIA 7300GT heat sink card to it and I'm using a Zalman CPU heatsink.

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:43 pm

I don't think the Seasonic should be a problem. You should be able to use it as is since there is clearance around the PSU for airflow. The path will not be straight, but I think that'll be fine since it will still pull air from the front of the PSU and push it out the back. You can see it in the SPCR article here: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article255-page3.html . They also used a Seasonic with a 120mm fan.

Gigabyte and ASUS do make passive 7600gt graphics cards. They're about $170-200. The gigabyte one takes up an extra expansion slot while the ASUS one has a moveable radiator/heatsink that might be troublesome, but that's the price you pay for getting a good passive video card.

Also, I'd suggest you avoid the 7200.10 Seagate drives. My experience with a 300GB 7200.9 us that they get VERY HOT with low or no airflow. The new Western Digital 'KS' series drives are quieter and cooler. Something like the WD 2500KS would be a better choice.

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: What's you option on this C2D system?

Post by smilingcrow » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:41 pm

IceFire wrote:Any one have recommendation on a good fanless card?
Take a look at this fairly comprehensive review of fanless VGA cards at Anandtech.

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:12 pm

I just don't think RAID 0 is worth it in terms of heat, noise, or potential for data loss. I regularly work with large files with a 2.5", 5400RPM drive running at ATA-66. If I can live with that, most people should have no problem with 3.5" SATA2 drives.

If you really want 500GB of storage, you might want to check out SPCR's review of the WD Caviar SE16 500GB. Except for a small performance hit, you'll probably come out way ahead in all of the other areas I mentioned above. Note that WD also makes a 250GB version, but I'm not sure if it's just as quiet.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:06 pm

Hello,

RAID 0 is almost certainly not worth it, for the reasons mentioned. If anything, I'd go with RAID 1, or just run separate drives and do a backup from one to the other.

Also, you may be better off with low latency DDR2 533, because it is synchronous with the system bus? The DDR2 800 gains you maybe 5-6%?

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:14 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Also, you may be better off with low latency DDR2 533, because it is synchronous with the system bus? The DDR2 800 gains you maybe 5-6%?
That's true if you stay with stock 266 FSB. But if you overclock (and what C2D owner hasn't?) the 800 memory gives you that headroom to stay at 1:1 up to FSB of 400 or even more. For about $10 more, why not?

Balthazar_B

Re: What's you opinion on this C2D system?

Post by Balthazar_B » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:42 am

IceFire wrote: Due to budget, I'm going to use the built in graphics card, but like to move off of it. Any one have recommendation on a good fanless card?
I'm also looking at putting together a system soon, and because I'll probably move to Vista sometime next year, I'm inclined to save money on the GPU and use the Gigabyte 7600GS heatpipe card that Anandtech likes until it's clear which cards are optimal for the new OS in terms of performance as well as silent operation. I'm thinking it will take 6 months from the OS release before this is hashed out, and in the meantime I'll have a perfectly acceptable graphics subsystem.

- J.

IceFire
Friend of SPCR

Getting closer

Post by IceFire » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:43 am

Here are my changes so far based on fellow SPCR members.

PS: I will go with the Seasonic and maybe the next model up since I read that it maybe cooler due to larger heatsinks.

HD: I will go with a single drive and look into other options. Does anyone know if the 7200.10 250 GB are singe or multi plater?

So, besides the WD, any other recommended HDs? I have thought about the 2.5" but ran into several issues. One, I would need 2 because of the size. I usually keep quite a bit on my HD. Two, I use it for work when I'm home. I usually us VMware workstation for development environments. This means there will be lots of disk access on both the host and the VMWare environment. This is the same reason I want to do raid 0 or two drive separated with the second hosting the VM environment. I could go with the lower capacity but speed is an issue (but not all the time).

Video card: Wait on it and see what is out there in about 6 month to a year.

Other information:
I forgot to tell you what I do with this plan computer. It is primary for home use with some work involved. Home means usually web, email, some video edition, etc.

The work part is where it is hard hit and the reason for duel core and 2 gig of memory and the multiple HD. I use VMWare that runs server side software. These server side softwares usually runs on multiple cpu with 4 plug gig of RAM. I am current using a HP dual Xeon 3.0G HT with 8 gigs of RAM for this purpose. Problem is that it has 10 high RPM 60mm fans and SCSI HD in my basement. It cranks alot of heat, noise and use a lot of power.

THANK YOU ALL for working with me on this.

PS: My company doesn't pay any of this so I'm trying to keep it below 1K.

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:16 pm

Does anyone know if the 7200.10 250 GB are singe or multi platter?

The 320GB model is on sale and has a promo code (BUYBARRACUDA) at newegg to make it the same price as the 250GB. Both have 2 platters.
http://techreport.com/ja.zz?comments=10698

Keep in mind that Seagates do an annoying calibration routine at idle when the drive is new, but it eventually goes away.

I'd guess another option would be the aforementined 250GB WD 2500KS, which happens to have a mail-in rebate if you buy it this weekend. Seems like a good deal to me, especially since you can get 2 rebates if you buy 2(I read the fine print).

I've never worked with Samsung drives, so I won't make any comments on them. Hitachi is too noisy IMO.