anyway to cable sleeve without removing molex connector?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aztec

anyway to cable sleeve without removing molex connector?

Post by aztec » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:09 am

I'm thinking of sleeving the 3 fans and PSU leads on an old PC, and I was wondering what I'm going to be needing for this mini project.

I know zip ties would work as well, but I've always wanted to learn how to sleeve the connectors on fans and PSU.

Also, is there anyway to sleeve without removing the molex connectors?

Thanks for any advice on how to get started and what I'll need.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:31 am

The only way I can think of is if you get larger sleeving than you require, so it fits right over the molex. That will be pretty ugly though.

When I had to sleeve a couple of power supplies, I bought a molex extractor tool for $5. It's great because I'm still using it even though I'm not sleeving anymore - I use it to pull molex pins out for 7V/5V mods.

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

Post by ultrachrome » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:36 am

I think the best way is with a pin extractor. You can remove the connectors without damage and easily reassemble them.

If you are near a Radio Shack, they carry one under part number 274-223 for about $8.

For a couple dollars more you can get the tool and some swank new connectors in annoying lan-boy colors.

http://www.extensiontech.net/reviews/tv/vantec/molex/

Beel

Post by Beel » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:41 am

If you are using the woven nylon sleeving kits, there is a little trick that can help some. If you compress the sleeving material lengthwise, its diameter increases. This enables you to push the sleeve over the larger connector. Once you have the correct amount over the connector, stretch the sleeve back out, and it returns to its original diameter.

I have had better luck doing this with fans and their small connectors than with power supply connectors.

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:59 am

Spiral wrap & heatshrink tubing: http://www.modd1ng.com/g-hsmolex.php.
Can be done without removing the connectors.

L3thal

Post by L3thal » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:33 pm

Vantec makes an expandable sleeving kit that will stretch over molex connectors.

They have all kinds of them at www.frozencpu.com

aztec

Post by aztec » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:51 pm

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I was actually looking at the sleeving kits from performancepcs.com and the sleeves do extend up to 150%. Which is great for 3-pin connectors, but probably won't matter for the 4-pin molex types.

The pin extractor is an option of course....though the last time I took pins out...I could never get the new pins to fasten to the leads properly. Mind you I wasn't using a pin extractor.

will check out all the links and report back.

Cheers!