Computer will not start

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Dgard

Computer will not start

Post by Dgard » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:21 am

I unplugged my new computer and took it off my desk so I could put my old computer in its place temporarily to retieve some files. When I plugged the new computer back in and pushed the power button, nothing happened. No lights or fans came on. I took the side off the case and made sure the power supply connector was firmly connected to the motherboard, and plugged it in again. Still nothing. the LED on the motherbord wasn't lit, either.

I unplugged the computer and left it that way for a couple of hours. I plugged it back in just a little while ago. It still won't power up, but the motherboard LED is flickering. Here are the components of the computer:

Antec NSK-3300 case
Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard
Athlon 64 X2 3800+ cpu
2x512 MB Mushkin HP2-5300 memory
Samsung SP2504C HD
Benq 1655 DVD-RW

Any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks.

vitaminc

Post by vitaminc » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:10 am

First check your smaller connectors/components like the case to motherboard power/reset pins and BIOS chip/battery. Maybe they are lose or something.

Worst case is that you need to test each individual components seperately. I would start by switching a working PSU cos it looks like you might have zap the PSU when you unplug it from the wall.

Dgard

Post by Dgard » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:48 pm

Thanks for the response. I did check the connections, and after I saw your response, I checked the battery. I also used another power cable, but it's still not powering up.

As I said before, the motherboard LCD didn't light up at all at first, but now the LCD flickers. Would that suggest a problem with the NSK-3300 power supply? Unfortunately, I don't have another power supply I can use to troubleshoot the problem. My old computer is an older Shuttle XPC, and the PSU in it is not compatible. It may be best to try to RMA the case. Again, thanks for the help

vitaminc

Post by vitaminc » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:29 pm

well, it be best to try to "rent" a PSU to test the motherbaord before you RMA the case, which would be expensive in shipping and probably takes a while.

Oh, and another thing. You should probably check if you have enough clearing between the case and the bottome of the motherboard, i.e, are there any motherboard soldered pins touching the back of the mobo causing shorts. Donno, theres an remote possibility that this sh1t is happening. At least it did to my friend once. :(

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:38 pm

Greetings,

Try it with just one stick of RAM, the CPU and the video card, and see if it posts.

Add a CD-ROM and see if it boots.

Try Ultimate Boot CD and run Prime or x86MemTest.

Add the other stick of RAM, and run Prime again.

Add the HD, and try installing the OS.

Beel

Post by Beel » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:23 pm

Yet another thing to check is if all of your cards are correctly seated. I have seen a few cases where add in cards (especially video cards) have come unseated during swaps.