Troubleshoot Panaflo 80L

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

wagging_tail

Troubleshoot Panaflo 80L

Post by wagging_tail » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:02 pm

I've got a Panaflo 80L plugged into my mobo (Gigabyte - GA-K8NSC-939) and I can not get a read on fan speed. I know its not the mobo connection b/c when I swapped out different fans, I could get a reading on the alternate fan. This fan sits on top of a Thermalite XP-90.

Should I be able to get a fan speed reading from this Panaflo fan (benchmark fan for SilentPC)?

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot the problem ?

I could replace the yellow wiring, but don't really have the parts to fit into the 2 respective 3 pin connectors. I saw a site (directron.com) listing a "bare wires tail" for a Panaflo. Would that one do it? I prefer to test before ordering a $3 part and paying $7 for shipping.

I know how to slow it down, but prefer to also monitor fan speed through the mobo.

Thanks,
Peter

ecto

Post by ecto » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:10 am

I'm no fan guru (there are lots of them around here) but..

I have to ask, do you know that the yellow wire is the tach-wire (i.e., your fan has three cables)? Sorry if the question sounds stupid to you. I'm not "dumbifying" you, I just don't know whether tach-wires usually are yellow, and it doesn't really say in your post if you checked that the fan actually has a third wire. Maybe it's just too obvious to say? :)

Anyway, what I'd do is get out the trusty volt-meter and while the fan is running measure the tach-wire to see if there's any current. Could be a little tedious but can be done. But I don't know what a tach-signal looks like or if it's measurable, I guess some of the fan gurus around could tell you that. If it is measurable and you can't get a reading, I'd simply check the cable and it's connection to the fan.

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:35 am

Hi Peter,

what's the code on the fan label? 1BX, 1A, 1AJ etc?

Only 1BX has the tacho (IIRC), the others mean the third wire (yellow) is either locked rotor, possible locked rotor or not used.

Although, I've had a surplus 80L1BX from Germany which is supposed to have tacho, but didn't work (gee, wonder why it was surplus...).

You probably won't get a sensible reading from the tacho wire if you try measure it, as it needs a pull-down resistor (which motherboards etc have) to get a square wave tacho signal.