Critique my new system

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cadman342001

Critique my new system

Post by cadman342001 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:10 am

Hi there, new to the spcr forum, currently putting together my 3rd system. Any advice / comments / critique welcome.

Here's the spec:

Case: Asaka Mirage 62
CPU: E6600 C2D
Mobo: ASUS P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi
RAM: Corsair XMS2 PC6400
PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850W
GFX: Gainward 8800 GTX
Saitek Gamers Keyboard
Razer Diamondback mouse
Zalman 9700 LED
ASUS MW221U 22" widescreen TFT

If you think any of the above could be improved upon for similar cash then suggest away.

I'd also be interested in any additional items that would improve the cooling etc. without excessive noise.

Thanks,

Andy

edit - forgot to add, I already have a 320 SATA int. HD and a 16x DVD D/L optical drive.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:13 am

Hello & welcome to SPCR!

Is the Mirage aluminum? (Can you post a link for it?) If so, then it will be louder than a good steel case, or a steel/plastic composite, like the Antec P150, Solo, & P180.

There is no way that you need a 850watt PS!

The Zalman HSF is not nearly as quiet or as efficient as some of the "tower" heatsinks; the Scythe Ninja is the best around.

cadman342001

Post by cadman342001 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:19 am

Thanks Neil,

Link to the case:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductI ... tID=424680

Here's a review of the Eclipse I've just found (which is identical to the mirage but without the front door):
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=907&aoc=39

I thought the 850 PSU would maybe be needed if I added a 2nd GTX ?

Andy

nici

Post by nici » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:48 am

There is a recent thread about the Mirage here somewhere, a search for mirage should find it. My opinions on the case are there. It's a good case, i really like it :) And yes, i have owned a P180 and a P150 and bla bla, i would take the Akasa.

There is also a thread about 8800GTX SLi, look in the VGA forum. A 700W Seasonic should be fine. And it will be quiet in idle at least, don't know about the Galaxy. Probably a good PSU, but i doubt its very quiet.

Anodyne

Post by Anodyne » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:54 am

I have another comment, not really silence-related: I have a Saitek gamer's keyboard on a secondary computer (my son's machine), and although the blue glow is cool I don't really care for the feel of it. The keys just don't have a positive action that I like. In particular, the space bar seems very imprecise - more often than not I hit it and discover it didn't register my keystroke, so I have to backspace and retype. Maybe I just have a bad sample, but in hindsight I regret having bought it. Mine is the 'original' version, not the newly released one, but to me the keys look identical. I wouldn't want to game with it, which is ironic since it is a 'Gamer's Keyboard'.

kesv

Post by kesv » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:55 am

cadman342001 wrote: I thought the 850 PSU would maybe be needed if I added a 2nd GTX ?
The person selling you the stuff might want you to think so. It's worth to read the PSU FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=14231

Note that just as important as the total power output of a PSU is the load it will handle on each separate voltage. Cheap PSUs usually have trouble handling the named maximum power on a single voltage let alone in total output. All PSUs recommended on SPRC are quality products.

Enermax PSUs are quality products, just not among the most quiet. If you want to go with Enermax fine, but you should consider something around the 500W mark. Even that will leave you ample headroom.