Review of First Build Plan

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nycdan

Review of First Build Plan

Post by nycdan » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:42 pm

Hi all,

I've been browsing for a few weeks while researching and contemplating my first build vs. years of buying Dells. I'm currently just about end-of-life with my Dimension 8300 for a few reasons. The only change I made was to put a LeadTek 6600GT in about 2 years ago and while I've lived with the incredible noise, I'm ready for something faster and quieter.

My main goal is a reasonably quiet machine both at idle and load with enough performance to run high-end graphics applications and provide reasonable performance on any current or soon-to-come high-end game. I also want the machine to be pretty easy to build and bring up (Vista). I may be interested in OCing or upgrading later, but only after I've got the machine up and running for a few weeks. Finally my budget is in the $1,500-$1,800 range

I would really appreciate feedback on the compatibility of the components I've come up with so far, with regard to ease-of-build, anything missing you would recommend, and/or possible problems you might forsee (i.e. length of modular PSU cables in a p180b case). So without further ado...

Case: Antec P180b - Gets good reviews for noise suppression and overall quality. Only concern is how hard it will be to achieve a decent build.

Mobo: ASUS P5B-E - Seems to have everything I want and nothing I don't.

Proc: e6600 (what else!)

Ram: Corsair XMS2 2x1GB kit DDR2 800 - I'm not sure if I can get something less expensive that's just as good.

PSU: Corsair HX520w - I wanted modular, thinking it will make for an easier build, and I wanted quiet and cool. Corsair over comparible Seasonic based on reviews. Concern is the bottom air draw in a bottom position on the case. Will this restrict airflow in?

HDs: 2 x WD Caviar SE16 WD3200KS - Wasn't sure WD vs. Seagate but this seems to get the best reviews for quiet. Still considering Raid 0 vs. Raid 1 vs. adding a third drive for best of both.

VC: XFX GeForce 7950GT - This was the hardest choice. Compared to the similarly priced PNY version, I am willing to take the risk on the fanless card to get the quietest build as long as I can control the heat in the case. As a backup, would it make sense to throw a Zalman VF900 onto this card? Is there a better card for this if that's the plan? Definitely want feedback here.

DVD: Sony AW-Q170A-B2 - expensive, but I wanted fast loading, quiet, and dependable. Don't care much about lightscribe. Any other choices?

Sound: CL Audigy 2 ZS SB0350 - too many problems with the X-Fi so far. This was the conservative play.

This comes to just about $1,600 on newegg. Wish List: https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wi ... ID=3696391

Thanks to all for reading this far and for any feedback.

-Dan

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:02 am

Hello & welcome to SPCR!

It all looks very good! The only thing that you don't mention is a good quiet heatsink and fan for the CPU. Is the northbridge on that mobo passively cooled? If not, I'd use a Zalman HS.

The PS should be fine for air flow -- you can probably leave out the lower case fan? Check the PS cable length issue for your mobo choice in the P180.

You might want to consider the Antec Solo: quieter HD's and a simpler build, and possibly better cooling for the video card?

Good luck, it should be a reasonably quiet machine.

nycdan

Post by nycdan » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:26 am

Thanks for the quick feedback, Neil.

I realized I might need cooling for the CPU after I posted. The Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835186134 comes to mind from some quick research.

As for the Northbridge, the pictures indicate a stock heatsink (see http://www.asus.com/prog_content/middle ... model=1347 ). Would I still want an after-market cooling solution for the Northbridge on the Asus p5g-e? I'll have to see if that mobo needs it.

Would you be recommending the ZM-NB47J? There is a much less expensive Zalman 32K that seems like it will work for Northbridge as well ($6 vs. $33). Any thoughts on either of these vs. the standard solution on the p5b-e?

As for the case, I hadn't looked closely at the Solo until now. It does seem that it will be an easier first build. I had thought the p180 was a successor of sorts and would naturally be 'better' but now I'm not so sure. I also have no need for a locking door blocking the DVD drive. Is there anything about the Solo that is inferior to the p180?

stigweard

Post by stigweard » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:40 am

I have the xfx7950gt and it idles 44-47c and is usually around 50-55c under load with GRAW AND Oblivion being the exceptions that cause it to run up to 68c after a few hours. This is in a room with an ambient temperature of ~21-24c depending whether the door is opened or closed. I have a 120mm nexus on the back exhaust, and one on the optional mount using the same antec p180b as you. The cpu is cooled by a naked Ninja and the top exhaust in the case is just open. I haven't gotten around to testing case flow by covering up extraneous holes in the case and I probably won't unless things start getting too hot come next summer. I do have to blow out the case bi-weekly for dust. The case noise is audible with the fans running, but it isn't loud enough to be bothersome or tiring. (I like my cases quiet because white noise makes me sleepy.)

MC FLMJIG

Post by MC FLMJIG » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:21 am

How much are you getting the 7950 for?

The Zalman is great but keeps the heat inside. I like the arctic cooling becasue heat went outside the case and was pretty silent too... you can always drop fanspeed a bit with software.

If you can try for a 7900gto... great stock heatsink and very, very quiet and cool.

nycdan

Post by nycdan » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:11 am

Thanks to all so far.

Stig, general thoughts on the p180b? Would you have considered the Solo as well?

MC FLMJIG, the 7950 is about $290 on newegg. you can see the exact pricing with my wishlist link. Which arctic cooling fan works with this card? The accelero X1?

Newegg doesn't have the 7900GTO...is it a disco. card?

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:24 am

yes, it is discontinued. you should be good with the passive 7950, but if you really want backup then attach a 120mm fan over it, allthough i doubt you'd need it, but at 5V it would probably cool better than most active coolers at that amount of noise (a nexus or yate loon fan is recommended)

if you want straight through airflow modular psu, try the antec Neo-HE, it is inaudible in idle and quiet when it gets very hot.

MC FLMJIG

Post by MC FLMJIG » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:30 am

Its a 7900gtx in disguise. You should look in the used sections and you may score one. Great stock cooler.

I don't know if the Arctic Silencers work on the 7950... But they are those huge coolers that are c through. It fits on a 7900gt I know for sure but the exhaust part sticks out a bit.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=40
Last edited by MC FLMJIG on Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stigweard

Post by stigweard » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:33 pm

My impressions are pretty much on par with most people here who have one. It is well constructed and easy to work with apart from cable management.

phartknokr

Post by phartknokr » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:46 pm

I have the Corsair 620 mounted in a P180 waiting on the rest of my stuff. Cable length for the Corsairs in a P180 is not an issue.

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:06 am

HDs: 2 x WD Caviar SE16 WD3200KS - Wasn't sure WD vs. Seagate but this seems to get the best reviews for quiet. Still considering Raid 0 vs. Raid 1 vs. adding a third drive for best of both.
I would stay away from raid 1. The real world performance increases are minimal and the data risk is very high. I played around with raid 1 for a year and finally decided it was not worth the trouble. As for raid 0, just burn your music and pictures to dvd every once in awhile and you will be fine. Especially for a first build, keep it simple. Everything else looks good. The stock motherboard cooling will be fine.

Are you going to use the stock tri-cool fans? Check out the fan reviews if you want pure silence. I am happy with tri-cools in most of my rigs but your mileage may vary. I had to pull them out of my HTPC though. I swapped them for $4 Yate Loons from Jab Tech. Much quieter now. Wish the XB 360 wasn't so damn loud though.

ciz28

Post by ciz28 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:19 am

autoboy wrote:I would stay away from raid 1. The real world performance increases are minimal and the data risk is very high. I played around with raid 1 for a year and finally decided it was not worth the trouble. As for raid 0, just burn your music and pictures to dvd every once in awhile and you will be fine. Especially for a first build, keep it simple. Everything else looks good. The stock motherboard cooling will be fine.
I believe you have RAID 1 and 0 mixed up? RAID 1 is mirroring and RAID 0 is striping.

MC FLMJIG

Post by MC FLMJIG » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:12 am

Ballistix by Crucial (Micron)... they are what's inside the best memroy modules. Go to the source.