Is this too hot? -- new system

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DGW

Is this too hot? -- new system

Post by DGW » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:05 pm

I built a new PC recently. I'm surprised at some of the temperature readings, as provided by Everest version 2.20.405.
Maybe these are OK, I've not had quite so much information in the past. These are the readings:
MB - 48 C - 118F
CPU - 41 C - 106 F
Aux - 32 C - 90 F (I have no idea where this sensor is)
GPU - 55 C - 131 F
HD - 40 C - 104 F

The case is an Antec P-180. MB is an ASUS P5W, Video is a Gigabyte Geoforce 7600, a fanless card. Proc is the Core 2 Duo E6700, memory is Corsair 8500 (CM2X1024-8500C5D). HD is a Seagate 400 gig SATA drive, and the power supply is a Seasonic Super Tornado 400. I have the three supplied case fans running at lowest speed. No overclocking at this time. As far as I can tell, I'll have to overclock the memory to get the 8500 rating that it has. These readings are from a light load.

On a side note, the power supply has connector for fan speed, and perhaps temp. Can I just plug that into any fan header on the MB without destroying anything?

pyogenes

Re: Is this too hot? -- new system

Post by pyogenes » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:16 pm

DGW wrote: MB - 48 C - 118F
Asus states the normal temp range for the MB (really southbridge chip) is 40-65C. You're in good shape.
CPU - 41 C - 106 F
Stock cooler? If so that's about right.
Aux - 32 C - 90 F (I have no idea where this sensor is)
GPU - 55 C - 131 F
AUX - I still haven't figured out where that sensor is.
GPU- Can't comment on the since i don't have that card but that seems to be in the usual range for a mid-to-high range video card idling.
HD - 40 C - 104 F
Is that the Seagate 7200.10? That temp is about right. How do you like that drive so far? I found mine to be unacceptably loud (high pitch whine drove me crazy)
On a side note, the power supply has connector for fan speed, and perhaps temp. Can I just plug that into any fan header on the MB without destroying anything?
Is that a 3-pin connector but with only 2 wires? You can plug it into any MB header but it'll only report back RPM. You can't control speed with it.
Last edited by pyogenes on Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:18 pm

Those temps look fine. I'm guessing that the 'MB' is the chipset temp and the 'Aux' is a case temperature sensor.
Yes, the connector is provided for you to plug into a fan header and monitor the RPM's of the PSU's fan.

pyogenes

Post by pyogenes » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:06 pm

jackylman wrote:Those temps look fine. I'm guessing that the 'MB' is the chipset temp and the 'Aux' is a case temperature sensor.
That's what I initially thought about the AUX, but the temps rarely make any sense if that's what it's for. Right now mean reads at 20C. My room is around 22C...

Asus' software doesn't report this temperature and I don't recall seeing it in the BIOS. Pretty safe to assume you can just ignore it.

MC FLMJIG

Post by MC FLMJIG » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:54 pm

Asus sensors aren't the best... Windows temp reading aren't gret but they give you an idea. Don't 4get to check BIOS temps as well.

If they are accurate you're ok.

DGW

Post by DGW » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:28 pm

Thanks for the replys everybody. When I first saw those temps, everything over 100 F, I was pretty surprised. I really haven't paid a lot of attention to temps in the past, the PC I replaced was so loud I figured it had to be cool.

Responses to questions/comments, yes the Proc is running the stock cooler.

For the video, gigabyte and/or Nivida implies that way over 100 C is OK for the video, I was an un-believer.

The HD is the 7200.10. I only hear it during seek, and its not that loud to me. I actually intended to buy a WD. I have two of their Netcenter's, fanless and totally silent to me, but Seagate claimed their drive was silent and I got it for $85 after rebate so I took a chance because it has the 5 year warranty. I also have Seagate SCSI drives that just keep going.

ASUS PC probe gives me about the same temps for the CPU and the MB.

NovionSolarius

Post by NovionSolarius » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:47 pm

Seems unusual to me that the mobo temp is higher than the CPU (mine is always lower), but all of those temps are within normal ranges.

fmriguy

Post by fmriguy » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:41 pm

pyogenes wrote:Is that the Seagate 7200.10? That temp is about right. How do you like that drive so far? I found mine to be unacceptably loud (high pitch whine drove me crazy)
I just bought the same drive and it's driving me crazy as well. At first, it was relatively quiet (except for VERY loud seeks), but after burning in for a few days, the high pitch whine set in. I guess that's what I get for jumping in on a good deal...should have just gone with the new WD's...

@DGW, as most people have stated, those temps are well within a normal operating range

Longwalker

Post by Longwalker » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:51 am

fmriguy wrote:should have just gone with the new WD's...
Reliability is a problem with WD unless you buy a Raptor or one of their 'RAID edition' drives.

There's not much out there at the moment that's both quiet and reliable.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:26 am

On the P5W DH, the "motherboard" sensor is actually the south bridge (ICH) chip temperature, and the "CPU" sensor is on the motherboard near the CPU socket.

As a result, the reported "CPU" temperature is much lower than the actual CPU chip temperture, and the reported "motherboard" temperature is much higher than would be reported by other boards.

The AUX sensor is not hooked up to anything, and gives pretty much random values.

To get an accurate idea of the CPU temperature, you should use the on-chip DTS, which can be read by TAT, Core Temp, RMClock or Everest Ultimate. I think I also saw a post saying that the latest SpeedFan can read the DTS too.