Zero Noise Core 2 Duo system possible?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zash

Zero Noise Core 2 Duo system possible?

Post by zash » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:19 pm

I'd like to build a new system that is totally fanless/noiseless (passive CPU cooler, fanless PSU). The size of the case is not important.

Is it possible to run a system with an Intel 965G motherboard (using onboard video), a 1.8Ghz Core 2 duo, 2GB RAM and a 250GB 7200RPM disk without any fans doing regular web browsing, some PHP coding and a little Photoshop, basically having the CPU idle most of the time?

And if that works, could I take it one step further and a Radeon 1950 Pro with passive cooling, and then fire up a game, or would the system go up in smoke? Maybe adding manually switchable case fan at the rear of the case for gaming (fan noise wouldn't bother me during games, but otherwise I would like it to be silent)?

I'd appreciate your advice and ideas. I don't care much about the looks honestly, if it means drilling holes into a case, so be it.

Atmosper

Post by Atmosper » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:32 am

"Totally silent" is so much more difficult and expensive than "practically inaudible". I think you can just forget a Radeon 1950 Pro in a fanless PC.

Just get a notebook hard drive, a couple of Nexus fans and undervolt them, a Ninja and a Seasonic S12 or the like and you will have a practically inaudible computer.

"Totally silent" is not worth it in my opinion.

loz

Post by loz » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:35 am

A very quiet, undervolted fan is quieter that any 3.5" drive.
So why going fanless with a harddrive ?

Go for 2.5" drives and good, undervolted, fan(s)

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:46 am

Hello & welcome to SPCR!

These folks have put their finger on the main question: the hard drive will make as much/more noise than quiet fans will, so if you have to have the drive, you'll need to aim for a quiet machine; not a silent one.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:07 am

Have a look at this project to see what it takes to go totally fanless:

0dBA Project rev.2

And that is in pretty cold ambient temps (Russia).

mb2

Post by mb2 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:11 am

heres the less simple, more abitious answer.. :twisted:
i'm not certain about the C2D as i haven't looked into them that much as i'm not upgrading.. but i think it would be 'possible'. certainly if they run cooler than the low semprons (and lets be honest TDP is irrelevant). which i believe they do.

as stated before however, there is no chance of doing it with a 1950 Pro, it needs quite a bit of secondary airflow to stop it overheating.

u say you aren't concerned about looks; this is good.
how u could do it is;
get a ninja CPU
undervolt the C2D, with appropriate motherboard.
use integrated gfx, pico psu + power brick

as everyone's said also.. the HDD will be noisier than a quiet fan. so if u want it 0db, don't use one.
a 2 or 4gb CF card can be got reasonably cheaply, as can the adaptors which fit them into normal IDE sockets (and they are seen by windows as a normal HDD). get a fast one. install XP (perhaps using nlite) and ur programs onto it.
Then put music/games/videos onto a secondary HDD (perhaps a notebook one, which are quieter, but slower and more expensive) so.. then u'll have sound for all that stuff anyway which will cover the HDD noise (set it to spin down when not in use).

and mount the motherboard outside of the case (perhaps on the back of a desk or something as done by someone here). putting it in a case will make it farr hotter, as the heat will all build up. but could be possible if u chop it up a lot and leave a lot of space for air to circulate/ not get trapped.

so u could do that, or just buy a normal PSU and get some quiet fans.. which would still be really quiet. personally i still prefer the 0 noise idea.. but i'd say it depends on ur surroundings (ambient noise), eg if in a bedroom its more worth it. good luck if u dare.

zash

Post by zash » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:35 pm

Thank you for all the replies. Each one is appreciated!

I will consider using a solid state disk and the harddisk as a media storage only, and send it to sleep if not in use.

For the Radeon, I will probably need a case fan anyway and use a manual voltage control and spin it up more when gaming.

I saw a small Antec mini tower for mATX boards with a 12mm fan. Might be the right case to build this box, and use passive PSU and CPU cooling.

As for having the motherboard in the open, that's a great idea, but my little cat likes to chew on small diameter cabling. So that would not work :-(

Thanks to all posters again for all the valuable info.