a question about undervolting fans

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JohnFL

a question about undervolting fans

Post by JohnFL » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:46 am

Being fairly new into the quiet pc field, i am wondering how fan speed can be controlled. I am in the process of buying 3 Nexus fans, and want to be able to throttle them down to the lowest noise level.

I am putting this into my Antec p180 case.

On my Asus P4P800 SE , there are 3 pin connections for a CPU_fan1, a CHA_fan1, and a PWR_fan1. I am looking at getting the Nexus 120 mm real silent case fan black / white sleeved. These fans have connectors for 3 pin ( mother board connection ), and also 4 pin power connectors.

I take it that i would not use the 4 pin power connectors, but use the 3 pin mother board connectors, so that i could then use SpeedFan to slow the fans down?

Getting a fan controller is not an option, as all my bays are filled up.

Natronomonas

Post by Natronomonas » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:44 pm

You can get some 'basic' controllers that don't need a bay, eg http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod769.htm
http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod2800.htm

and other such devices.

Alternatively, you can just wire them up yourself to a fixed voltage from your molex cables or similar.

You could use the mobo plugs, just check they've enough amperage to handle the 120mm fans.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:16 pm

Asus MBs usually have a feature called Q-Fan. When enabled in the BIOS settings Q-Fan adjusts the RPM of the CPU-fan, and on some boards also one of the case fans, depending on the temperature of the CPU.

I use Q-Fan on my A8N-SLI Premium to control two Nexus 120mm fans (the only two fans in my system besides the PSU fan) both connected to the CPU-fan connector. Works great for me, maybe it'll work for you. It's a hassle free solution. Don't know if it's wise to connect all three to the same fan connector though.

If you don't need variable speed, I think a FanMate suggested by Natronomonas is the best solution.