Antec Fusion no additional fan system.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PPGMD

Antec Fusion no additional fan system.

Post by PPGMD » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:15 pm

I am looking to build a quiet HTPC system. This system will mostly play xvid files of my ripped DVDs outputted to my HDTV set.

CPU: Athlon 64 3700 s939 (Something I had lieing around)
RAM: Corsair Value Select 1GB x 2 (salvaged from old system)
Motherboard: DFI RS482
Video: On Board X300
Audio: On Board Realtek ALC850
LAN: On Board Realtek Gigabit
Hard Drive: Seagate 7200.10 500GB Drive (Ordered when it was on special)
Optical: Sony DRU-709 (I think that's the model number it was the first of the dual layer recorders)
OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition (free copy I have lying around)
CPU Cooler: SILVERSTONE SST-NT01V2.0

I think that about covers it, I simply want to make this as quiet as possible without going overboard. I intend to only use the video for 2D (through the S-video to component adapter no other monitor except for troubleshooting) and running the Nvidia DVD decoder (got it free at the MCE release along with an OEM version of MCE). Audio just to output the streams to be decoded by my receiver.

I am pretty sure that the Silverstone should be able to handle the CPU, I am worried about the cooling of the VGA integrated onto the motherboard. Is there anything else that I am forgetting or maybe someone more experienced with these parts that know any secrets I should know.

Shukuteki

Post by Shukuteki » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:08 pm

I am running a X300 right now, and it really does not get that hot.

I have one of those Zalman northbridge flower coolers that i am going to attempt to mount to it, and if it works, I have no doubt that it will be able to provide adequate cooling. That should say something about the X300s heat output.

PPGMD

Post by PPGMD » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:14 am

Hmm that sounds pretty good. I'm going to order this next week, hopefully soon I will have my HTPC all setup.

PPGMD

Post by PPGMD » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:15 pm

Got another question, would it be better to use my Antec NeoHE 430 that I have lying around rather then the standard PSU?