Comments on Socket 754 Build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fastturtle

Comments on Socket 754 Build

Post by fastturtle » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:19 pm

Well I've finally been forced by memory starvation - lots of disk thrashing due to page file usage, to build a new system and I've pretty much decided to go the cheapest route possible for now.

Basic Specs:
ECS K8M800 Socket 754 board (I know it's obsolete)
Sempron64 2800+
2x 1GB DDR400 (PC3200) Ram

Main thing to note is that I'm not CPU bound as I'm running Folding at Home 24/7 and having no performance issues except when memory consumption exceeds 60% and page file usage goes up.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:44 am

Reading between the lines, I see that the *only* reason the old system needed upgrading was Folding at Home. So you're spending good money, including for 2G memory, to continue to support Folding.

I suppose you're content with taking food out of IBM employees' mouths, who would otherwise be paid for making more Blue Genes? :D :D

fastturtle

Post by fastturtle » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:40 am

Sorry but that hasn't proven out through some fairly rigorous testing. Instead the problem is Windows itself is now using over 50 percent of the ram even when in safe mode. Bleeping bloated Windows patches.

<rant>Guess MS wants to force everyone to ugprade to Vista fairly quickly and they're bloating the code with all of the damn patches to XP. If that's the case, then it will become impossible to run XP on anything less then a High Performance system simply due to the bloat and feature creap they're encouraging.</rant> :evil: