Need help with case, PSU, and HD

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Nino_fs

Need help with case, PSU, and HD

Post by Nino_fs » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:58 pm

I am planning to build a new computer and I am looking to make it quiet since my current PC is quite noisy. There are a few things I have already decided on but the main thing I need help with is picking a PSU and Case. If you have any other suggestions about the components I have listed I would like to hear them.

This computer will ge used for everything including gaming. So I need to put in a good graphics card. I plan to buy a fairly cheap card now and replace it when DirectX 10 cards become less rediculous.

The specs:

Core Duo 6300
Thermaltake Big Typhoon (already purchased)
2Gb DDR 800
160 GB max Hd Any suggestion welcome
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
7600GS or 7900GS or X1800 depends on what is on sale. Are the ATI cards hotter than Nvidia?

I am a little confused as to what PSU to get because I want quiet but many of the SPCR reviews consider 300W to be enough which it would be in most situations but I am worried about when I put a Dx10 Card in that I won't have the power.

As for Case I don't want a very large case as I simply don't have the room for it. But I think something as big as the P180 would fit.

MY current thoughts on for the other parts are
Case: P180 or P150
PSU: Seasonic S12 Energy+ 550
HDD: Completely unsure

kater

Post by kater » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:26 am

hi

to address the psu selection issue - it is true that many user today tend to buy huge psus they won't utilize even in 50%. i'm pretty sure it's all the marketing bs served by psu manufacturers. naturally, it's good to have some headroom, it's good to let the psu run at ca 70% under max load as that is when its efficiency is best (good for temps and power bills), but the headroom should be reasonable, right? that said, i'd strongly suggest not getting anything bigger than ca 400. if you aren't planning sli you really don't need anything bigger than 400-430. your c2d is pretty easy on power, and even oc'ed won't draw more than 80w (proly less), oc'ed 7900gs (good choice for non-hardcore gaming) will need <50w, mobo and hdd and fans etc will need <40w - and all this is top max under serious stress and load. today's top vga, the mighty 8800gtx, needs <140w. future revisions of it made in 80nm process will need less. and cards like 83xx or 86xx will certainly need less power, probably even less than todays mid-range cards - that's mostly because of chips made in smaller technological process (80 and 65 instead of 90 and 110) and smarter overal design. (same thing is happening to cpus - compare p4 & fx vs c2d)

now, to point a few good power supplies - seasonic s12 430 (classic, always a good choice), antec neohe 430 (, modular cables, louder under load but still v quiet, especiallu ducted), bequiet straight power 400 (europe only?)

the s12 550 energy+ is a mighty psu, but way too strong for your planned setup, and you probably won't use its biggest advantage - v quiet operation under serious load

a few words about cases - p180 will make it possible for you to build a quieter setup than p150, true. but it won't be a big difference. also, your p150 will already have a nice psu (antec neohe 430) and will most probably be a good back/bang choice. you can also get a solo and a psu of your choice.

vga - i guess 7900gs is a decent choice for gamers w/o super large screens. it also has a good performance/price ratio. galaxy 7900gs with factory fit zalman vf 700 cooler and mad oc'ability seems a good idea. i'm sure you will find a lot of 7900gs with total passive coolers - a good thing since the card is not v hot. heck, you can even get a 7950gt with a passive cooler.

this link should give you some idea of power draw of vga cards (compare ati and nvidia hotwise)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/ ... noise.html

hope it helps :)

Nino_fs

Post by Nino_fs » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:33 am

Thanks that all helped alot. The reason I am looking at just getting a cheap card is I just want something to tide me over until the dX 10 cards become less expensive. I am currently quite happy with the performance I get from my 9800pro and would continue using that in the new system if it was pci but it is agp. So I don't need a great card because I am ok with playing games at low settings as long as they have a playable framerate.

DeltaForce

Post by DeltaForce » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:25 pm

Agree with advice above--

Go with a Samsung HD. Check the reviews on this site; they're nice and quiet.

Check quietpc.com -They have good quiet products for sale. Fan speed controllers, 120mm fans, etc.

As stated above; a standard p150-type design will work fine. A case will not quiet componets all that much; what it can do is avoid making things worse with rattling, resonanating, etc. Make sure every fan is adjustable with a fan speed controller, or thermally controlled for quiet (powersupply), and you can have a very quiet system most of the time, and then if you play games, you can turn up the fans for better cooling (and a little more noise). But this trade-off works well.