Quiet Xp to Vista Gaming rig

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Nino_fs

Quiet Xp to Vista Gaming rig

Post by Nino_fs » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:52 am

I am planning to build a new pc but I am going to wait abit longer and hope for some price drops in the components. I hope the VGA will go down with the release of ATI's dX10 cards and the price of my processor should fall soon. This computer will be used for gaming including new games(F.E.A.R., HL2, Supreme Commander, maybe Conan) and watching DVDs or video files. Anyway here is the build,

Antec P150 case
I don't have the space or want to have a huge tower so the P180 is out and this seemed like the next best option.
Core 2 Duo 4300
I plan to overclock this since a stable overclock can be achieved without even a voltage boost and with my more efficient cooler I should achieve nice overclocks without putting much or any strain on the cpu. It only needs to last 3 years anyway.
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
Good overclocking and is not really expensive. (have seen a 6300 boosted by 87% on this board.
OCZ 2GB PC6400 Gold Dual Channel DDR2 (2x1GB)
Going with the 6400 instead of 5300 to leave room for the overclock since I will likely take the fsb up to 1066 when I OC the CPU.
Western Digital 160GB Caviar SE 7200RPM SATA II w/ 8mb Cache
This is referenced as a very quiet drive and I don't need alot of space as I often burn files to DVD and only have max of 3 games installed at a time.
BFG Geforce 7900 GS 256mb or ATI X800XL 512mb
I can save 40 bucks by going with the ATI but the other card gives me about 40% better framerates and I can probably hold out on the jump to a dX10 card longer, so it is the current leader but there is a sale on which is saving $40 so without that the price difference is $80.
BigTyphoon CPU cooler
This is already purchased and will be used in the build.
Lite-On DVD +RW 18x
I already own this and will be reusing it in the build. I don't mind DVD noise as it is not constant and is only really loud when a game is loading then it quiets down so that it can't be heard over the ingame sounds.

It will run WinXP until I upgrade to dX10 card then I will move to Vista.

I plan to duct the PSU and was planning to duct the air coming off the Big Typoon to head out the back of the case. I may have to take the fan off the big typhoon and move it to the back of the case due to the hieght of the typhoon and lack of clearance between it and the case.

It I duct the PSU then it won't try to ramp up on me.

The big typhoon pulls air off the Motherboard and so the airflow it creates should cool the mobo components then pass through the typhoon to cool the cpu. Then dump the heat out the back of the case.

I want to get a VGA cooler which also exhausts out the back of the case or Get a Passive cooler and use a 120mm fan in a duct to push air across it.

The final thing I am thinking about doing it purely cosmetic since I am not a big fan of the look of the P150. I may build some parts to add to the case and make it look different. I am thinking of using shaped wood to make a style that is a cross between the Nexus iStyle and the Spire Pininfarina. These will be purely cosmetic and I will make sure not to block a single intake point. I will also meshout the 5.25" drive port below my disc drive to allow sufficient intake for the PSU.

Does anyone have some comments or recommendations?

vincentfox

Post by vincentfox » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:10 am

I just built a very similar system and I'm pleased with it. I think the Antec Solo is a better choice though, as you can find them cheaply and you aren't stuck with paying for a PSU you are just going to replace. Fry's had the Solo with a rebate recently. The Corsair 520HX lives up to it's place on the SPCR Recommended list, which you probably already read.

I love the DS3 for it's solid-caps. I miss having built-in FireWire though, and if you are a gamer the built-in sound is a waste as you will buy a card since it's just mediocre.

If you are gaming, I would plan on running XP for about 2 years by which time you might be doing a whole new build anyways. The reviews are quite clear that gaming on Vista is inferior and it's not a matter of just driver updates, you may be waiting a long time for that to improve. Build for now, not some unknowable future upgrade path. I might run Vista on a work PC, but NOT on my gaming system.

Nino_fs

Post by Nino_fs » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:26 am

I don't plan to replace the PSU since it is an antec HE which is not the highest rated on spcr but it is definately up there and I don't need any more power than 430 since I have 1 hdd, 1 disc drive, a VGA and that is it, no other upgrades.

When I upgrade my VGA I don't plan to get a top of the line dx10 card one of the budget ones so it won't draw too much power or cost too much.

Also I definately don't plan to get a better sound card because I only have a 2.1 sound system and I just don't feel that a sound card upgrade is worth the money.

But from what you are saying at least my components should fit together and not have a whole load of problems. Good to hear.

I guess I forgot to mention that I live in Canada so shipping anything from the states is just not worth it because of the annouance in getting even a toothpick across the boarder.

derekva

If you are waiting a while...

Post by derekva » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:26 pm

You may want to wait for the 8600GT / 8600Ultra DX10 video cards to ship this spring (not sure when - the internet is rife with unsubstantiated rumors) if you are planning on going to Vista...

-Derek

Nino_fs

Post by Nino_fs » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:49 pm

My plan is to actually get the computer now with a somewhat decent card (the 7900GS or ATI 800xl) and just hold out as long as I can and then get a dX10 card and Vista when there are more options.

I want to upgrade instead of waiting the months because my current computer is very underpowered and loud. MY current set up is

P4 2.6GHz (first gen P4's)
1GB DDR 333(2x512)
9800Pro 128mb

And this thing is as loud as a freight train. I have to keep it under my desk in an attempt to keep my sanity. I replaced the CPU cooler with the big typhoon and that helped but my PSU is extremely loud and the 9800pro has a very high pitched tone to it. Plus games are now at the point where even on low settings I can't get smooth framerates.

With that in mind I am going for the upgrade. I will probably be able to survive on the 7900GS for quite awhile because I am ok with running the games on low settings as long as the framerate is smooth.

vincentfox

Post by vincentfox » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:37 pm

For me the choice of PSU was never a matter of Wattage. The Corsair is quieter, and has the modular cables. If you read the power-supply forums you will also read people having trouble with the NeoHE units for coil whine and for being unreliable at starting the system if you don't have enough load on it. I didn't want to spend my time messing around with those troubles, I'd rather game. I am only putting max 130 Watts load on my PSU. I don't really care about the over-capacity, it's quiet, efficient, and reliable.

A good sound-card will correctly process the surround, so that even on headphones or a 2.1 speaker setup, you get much better surround-effect. I game and I use headphones, and the motherboard sound is markedly inferior to the X-Fi card. I also have an old set of LogiTech 2.1 speakers on the system for watching movies.

Opinion delivered, over and out.

Nino_fs

Post by Nino_fs » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:20 pm

thanks for the info but from what I have read the problems with that PSU are from older versions as there was some kinda of problem with it. I am not really worried about not having enough voltage to get it booted since from what I read that happened to people who were undervolting there system to get it quieter.

As for sound cards I am sure that the sound is better with a card but I am on a tight budget due to tuition and loans so if I can cut costs somewhere without a huge sacrifice I will. I just don't have the extra money to buy a good sound card. Which is another problem with the solo getting the case and then a PSU adds about $30.

DeepRough

Post by DeepRough » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:19 am

thanks for the info but from what I have read the problems with that PSU are from older versions as there was some kinda of problem with it. I am not really worried about not having enough voltage to get it booted since from what I read that happened to people who were undervolting there system to get it quieter.
You know, that's exactly what I thought. So silly me, I went ahead and ordered a P150 from zipzoomfly. I'm sure the HE is fine now. Right. I move my stuff from my noisy (but very large) lian-li case, into the P150...route all the cables nice, installed a couple 92mm fans in the front. Power it up with just the hds/etc...to hear the fans. Ahh...whisper quiet.

Then I put in my 6800gs agp video card (i have an older system, abit ic7-g motherboard). Plugin the molex connector to the video card...hit power...nothing.

Hmm...reseat the video card...power...nothing

Try another modular power slot on the neo he....power...nothing

Strange, ok, so I try my older radeon 9700 pro agp card. That also has a molex connector....power....nothing

argh!

I resorted to using an old mx4200 video card I had, that doesn't require additional power. That powers up and boots fine.

Now I have a corsair 520HX on order...and I realize I should have just bought the Solo and this power supply. The white case is nice looking though ;)

Maybe you'll have better 'luck' :)

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:54 pm

thats an odd problem there...have you ever tried using the card without molex or is it required? i'm thinking the slot might not be compatible with the card if thats happening.