Please help! NEED QUIET LGA 775 cooler, non-gamer

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mutimedi

Please help! NEED QUIET LGA 775 cooler, non-gamer

Post by mutimedi » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:01 pm

I have a p4 3.0 lga775. I don't run games or anything that uses massive processor power. I purchased a Thermaltake tr2-m21 rx, but it's not as quiet as advertised, just slightly quieter than the stock fan. I was pretty disappointed. I need a cooler that is quiet, with easy fit/install preferably without removing the motherboard. I appreciate any input.

where?wolf

Post by where?wolf » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:10 pm

If your case is wide enough? then maybe a Scythe Ninja will do the trick?
Then a 120mm Nexus or Noctua (1200rpm version, lowered to 850 rpm) Or if you just cant manage by ducting the Ninja to the rear exhaust fan? This, by making a simple duct, made out of glossy cardboard.

Just make sure the duct fits tight to the sides and top of the Ninja. And have as round corners as possible on the inside.

The Ninja is: 110mm by 110mm by 150mm.

The Noctua NH-U12F is also a very good heatsink. And comes with their special 120mm fan. 155mm high.

mutimedi

Post by mutimedi » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:02 pm

What would be the purpose of ducting?

where?wolf

Post by where?wolf » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:29 pm

You dont need a fan on the heatsink. Alternative, no exhaust fan. Fan on the heatsink instead.

mutimedi

Post by mutimedi » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:40 pm

I believe both these require back plates and motherboard removal. Anything else you can recommend that clips in place of the stock heatsink?

where?wolf

Post by where?wolf » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:38 pm

The Ninja Plus, revision B. (Make shure you get the "B" revision, and not Ninja Plus.) Does'nt need a motherboard removal in most cases.

Just check motherboard compability at Scythe home first. Or google the computer forums, for guys with the same mobo that eventually uses such a sink.

Other heatsinks that is really good. Unfortunatly requires a mobo removal.

goblindojo

Post by goblindojo » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:04 am

The popular cheap Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is an easy click on mount with no mobo removal needed, but the stock fan is loud at full blow. I have good case airflow, so I can even use it passive without the fan, but in the end I have it connected to the mobo with CPU Quiet Fan enabled, and with a target temperature of 45C it never spins up above a quiet 1000 rpm.

Pretty much any tower HSF means you don't need such a loud fan, but the Freezer 7 Pro offers best bang for the buck, as long as you can lower the fan speed either from BIOS or a fan controller.