Ready to assemble it tonight - any tips for me?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

boze

Ready to assemble it tonight - any tips for me?

Post by boze » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:22 am

So my original build thread is here (just AngelKiller and me writing back and forth mostly).

My build list is below, but does anyone have any advice for me as a first-timer?

A friend was explaining to me to mount the CPU and HSF to the mobo before installing it in the case. He also gave me some advice about putting a drop of thermal grease and pressing to let it spread out but only using a smallish amount - no more than you need to.

Oh, and AK recommended that I put the up top HDD in the case before the mobo just to enjoy the extra space, so I'll likely do that as well.

Apart from the mobo/cpu/hsf install i've done the rest at various times so I'd assume it'll just be cabling and sw/bios issues if anything.

But folks here have been helpful to this point so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Case Antec KSK3300
Case Fan just the 120mm TriCool it comes with
PSU included Antec SFX 300w
Motherboard ASUS P5B-VM
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (2.13GHz)
CPU HSF Thermalright HR01-775 (with the big orange duct and no fan)
RAM G.Skill 2x2gig DDR2 6400
VIDEO CARD GIGABYTE GeForce 7600GT
HDD WD500AAKS (two of them)
DVD Burner Samsung 18x dvd-r

Arvo

Post by Arvo » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:46 am

I'd install CPU/HSF after installing and firmly securing motherboard into the case - this way you won't worry about hurting motherboard.

My usual sequence (with variations of course - depend on case, drives etc):

psu
hdds (only if they cannot easily installed after cpu installation)
motherboard
ram
cpu
hsf
motherboard cables
additional cards
psu cables
opticals
hdds
drive cables
--
As a general precaution - avoid statical electricity! Just ground your hands into the case everytme, use antistatic bag from motherboard to lay out your components before assembling etc.

tempeteduson

Post by tempeteduson » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:17 am

I'd install CPU/HSF after installing and firmly securing motherboard into the case - this way you won't worry about hurting motherboard.
Then again, the Thermalright HS is quite a beefy unit and could be hard to mount in the confines of the case, especially the cramped mATX NSK3300. I'd advise the reverse; mount the HS outside the case, and put the whole assembly in. Just be careful about pressure on the mobo.