GA-M57SLI-S4 Opinion?? (and Ninja Compatibility)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xenithon

GA-M57SLI-S4 Opinion?? (and Ninja Compatibility)

Post by xenithon » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:40 am

Hi all. I have narrowed down my AM2 mobo choice to either the Asus M2N-E or the Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4. From what I have read, the Gigabyte is more stable and less RAM-fussy than the Asus. I wanted to ask a) if anyone has had experience with this board; and b) if the Ninja Rev. B would fit on it?

Cheers,
X

PS. here is a link to the product page.

xenithon

Post by xenithon » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:25 pm

BUMP....anyone know if these two would work together?

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:14 pm

It's big brother,the M59 looks like the best AMD mobo ever. many great reviews (New Egg Users) indicating it works,has high quality control,no bugs. The heatpipe cooling,the dual bios,the much better audio might justify the extra $40. I was thinking of a lot less $ to build around a Brisbane 3600 w Ninja,and even though SLI is of no use to me--this is just sweet. The M57,however also is pretty impressive. Ninja's fit most anything in terms of Mobos,with VERY few exceptions. Troubles can come if someone wants to ues a tiny case.

xenithon

Post by xenithon » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:01 pm

Thanks for the info. I would go for the 570 board as it is more than sufficient. The 550 board is too actually, but it does not support CnQ. The thing that worries me about the Ninja and that board, are the tall caps.

mondo '77

Post by mondo '77 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:37 pm

See:

viewtopic.php?t=36826&highlight=

So, yes it is a tight fit but it fits. I am really happy with the mobo, the fan control is excellent, the voltage controls are good, my only (small) gripe is that I can't find the memory timing controls in the BIOS, they just don't seem to be there?? It is probably just a BIOS update issue and I am not really bothered enough to do it.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:40 pm

Theres an f key for advanced options on Gigabyte boards,I don't recall the details I'd heard.

xenithon

Post by xenithon » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:56 am

mondo '77 wrote:See:

viewtopic.php?t=36826&highlight=

So, yes it is a tight fit but it fits.
Hi there and thanks for the info. Does indeed look like a tight fit. I will be using Valueram which does not have heatspreaders, so my only concern really is the caps. Did you push the cap so that the heat pipe does not touch it, or did you let the cooler push it and maintain contact?

Also, does anyone know if there is much danger in moving the cap a bit like that?

Cheers,
X

PS. shouldn't you have the memory in alternating slots to get dual channel?

mondo '77

Post by mondo '77 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:01 am

I just let the heatsink push the capacitor, to bend it fully out of the way would risk breaking it and I am not aware that there is any danger from this sort of thing. I think I have seen other threads on the topic here so just search for it.

If you read the manual for that mobo though you will see the way I have positioned my memory is the way they do dual channel on this board.

xenithon

Post by xenithon » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:18 am

mondo '77 wrote:I just let the heatsink push the capacitor, to bend it fully out of the way would risk breaking it and I am not aware that there is any danger from this sort of thing....

...if you read the manual for that mobo though you will see the way I have positioned my memory is the way they do dual channel on this board.
Hi there. I just picked up the board now. Will test at home tonight. I read the manual and indeed I see dual channel slots are next to each other, not alternating (like in many Intel systems I am used to working with).

One question: does it makes a difference if the memory is installed in slots 3 & 4 (instead of 1 & 2)? The manual says dual channel will work in either 1 & 2 or 3 & 4, but suggests 1 & 2 for only two sticks of RAM.

mondo '77

Post by mondo '77 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:52 pm

I haven't tried the RAM in slots 3 and 4, if I remember correctly it will work but at a tiny performance loss.

xenithon

Post by xenithon » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:24 am

mondo '77 wrote:I haven't tried the RAM in slots 3 and 4, if I remember correctly it will work but at a tiny performance loss.
Hmmm, ok. Any particular reason for the performance loss? Also, does it only touch memory with heatspreaders (generally overclocking or gaming type memory) or also regular RAM modules? I have Kingston Valueram which has no heatspreaders.

Cheers,
X