nexus breeze vs P150

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hexen

nexus breeze vs P150

Post by hexen » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:29 pm

what is the general consensus on the nexus breeze case?
(with the included nexus powersupply and fans it seems like a good combo but is it?)

http://www.nexustek.nl/breeze_350_400_w ... r_case.htm

and how would it stack up to a p150 (same cpu/mobo/parts) in therms of noise?

by the way, (i guess the next question will only be answered true by a few), but since SPCR is sponsored by many of the companies they recomend (nexus and antec among others) how much of the advice/reviews is unbiased? and how much of it is driven by $

Felger Carbon

Re: nexus breeze vs P150

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:13 pm

hexen wrote:...(i guess the next question will only be answered true by a few), but since SPCR is sponsored by many of the companies they recomend (nexus and antec among others) how much of the advice/reviews is unbiased? and how much of it is driven by $
You're a really trusting fellow, Hexen! Hint: over 99% of the posts in these forums are from folks like you (but not as suspicious) who have no financial interest in their advice. Sure, Mike Chen is one of them nasty capitalists, but the truth is he's too busy counting his money to give advice to anybody. :lol:

Are you a fan of Ludlum's novels? They have lots of paranoia in them, too! :D

hexen

Post by hexen » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:15 pm

see how you ignored the actual title and point of the thread?

and are you denying that bias exists in this world?

i come from a world based on reality. and i know that people in all walks of life are influenced by money.
you can live in your make believe dream world of jerry springer if u wish.

anyhow, im not accusing SPCR or any of the staff of corruption, but simply asking if any of the recomendations are sometimes biased (im assuming they are - other websites dont even hide that sort of thing - will even say things like "buy from our sponsors"

and i wasnt talking about the 99% of posters (like myself) on here, but about the SPCR articles and staff recomemndations

an example of what i meant is: lests say there were two fans in equal performance and spl level, but one of them was a sponsor.
will SPCR recomend the sponsored one just cause its a sponsor?

its a completely legitimate question and not accusatory or paranoid one like felger carbon suggests.

and it really was just a add-on question.....the main one was which case is more recommended? the P150 or Nexus Breeze 500?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:42 pm

simply asking if any of the recomendations are sometimes biased (im assuming they are
You know that corny old saying about what happens when you assume?

SPCR reviews are strictly on the up-and-up, there are at least 3 reasons for this:

1) if any of the editorial team tried to "fix" a review to recommend a mediocre product people in the forums would soon call them on it

2) Mike et al. aren't skunks and genuinely want to promote quiet computing; ie they are operating in good faith

3) none of the sponsors offer enough money to make it worth their while :lol:
which case is more recommended? the P150 or Nexus Breeze 500?
Well, the P150 is recommended and the Nexus isn't:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article75-page3.html

I can't remember why, something about the PSU ramping up too quickly? The PSU that comes with the Breeze is good, just a bit outdated (low efficiency compared to Seasonic etc); you can find their reviews in the "Recommended PSUs-Retired" section.

kaange

Post by kaange » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:17 pm

So is the only reason the Breeze is not recommended is the included PSU? I can't see any reviews in SPCR about the Breeze case.

Given that the only case exhaust is through the PSU, it's pretty much guaranteed that any PSU will ramp up, though.

I wonder if Nexus will be releasing their new high efficiency PSUs with this case?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:45 pm

breeze threads: 1,2. with cool parts it's probably quiet, but so is the P150 (although NeoHE can be problematic).

born2code

Post by born2code » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:22 pm

The Breeze also uses the PSU as the only exhaust. Not sure how I feel about that.

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

Post by ultrachrome » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:06 pm

born2code wrote:The Breeze also uses the PSU as the only exhaust. Not sure how I feel about that.
Not only is the lack of rear fan a fault, there's no soft-mounting provision for the hard drives.

With enough effort you can make just about any mid tower quiet but the P150 achieves that practically out of the box.

The Breeze has no obvious redeeming qualities.

[edit] That sounded harsh. It's a unique design that probably works well in situations where you rarely generate significant heat.

You run a risk, though. If you get in the situation that the PSU has to ramp up the fan to keep up, you have no other method of exhausting hot air. A P150 avoids that problem.

hexen

Post by hexen » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:41 pm

jaganath wrote:(although NeoHE can be problematic).
apparently the problems with the NeoHE have been resolved with the latest revisions of the unit (since Q2 of 2006)
but how can you tell the diifference between new ones and the old ones?

im planning to pick up a P150, but i want to make sure its not one of the oldies, how will i know?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:16 am

hexen wrote:
jaganath wrote:(although NeoHE can be problematic).
apparently the problems with the NeoHE have been resolved with the latest revisions of the unit (since Q2 of 2006)
but how can you tell the diifference between new ones and the old ones?

im planning to pick up a P150, but i want to make sure its not one of the oldies, how will i know?
Basicly you would need to get look inside the case and see NeoHe's sticker and what revision that is. Later the better....

Or you could just buy Antec Solo ( which is same as P150 but without stealth covers, its silver-black and has no PSU ) and Seasonic's psu, pay bit extra and be happy and sure there is no such problems with recomended Seasonics as there was 430w NehoHE's...

Besides Solo is black and we all know that black computers are faster :P

hexen

Post by hexen » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:32 pm

thejamppa wrote:
Basicly you would need to get look inside the case and see NeoHe's sticker and what revision that is. Later the better....
right, but which revision rectified the problems?

is there a specific number or something i should lookout for?

and about the seasonic, i can consider this (which seasonic mdel are you refering to?) but im just tryiung to copy the SPCR built system "Model One"
and it has the antec neo

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

Post by ultrachrome » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:34 pm

The serial number sticker has an "A4" printed on it in small letters. Mine also has a blue dot.

hexen

Post by hexen » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:45 am

ultrachrome wrote:The serial number sticker has an "A4" printed on it in small letters. Mine also has a blue dot.
exactly the info i needed - thanx!

renedc

Re: nexus breeze vs P150

Post by renedc » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:23 am

I can speak to the efficacy of the Nexus Breeze case. I've been using one daily for five years. Cooling is more than adequate. The only times I've opened the case have been for hardware mods and to clean the filter. The hard drive mounts haven't been a noise issue. I never hear my Barracuda 160GB drives in a RAID 0 configuration. I'll be the first one to complain when I feel ripped off, trust me. But Nexus has delivered with their Nexus Breeze case. It's too bad that their somewhat unorthodox design (plastic parts) wasn't understood well by the critics.