ASUS P5B Deluxe - fan is working, but PC Probe says it is no

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

alancfa2001

ASUS P5B Deluxe - fan is working, but PC Probe says it is no

Post by alancfa2001 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:30 pm

I recently built my first pc and it has been working just fine. Today I tried putting the assembled unit inside a wooden cabinet with the door left open and the PC Probe software running to see if there was adequate ventilation. The CPU and MB temps went up, so now I know that I need to modify the cabinet.

But while the CPU and MB temps went up, the PC Probe software that came with the ASUS motherboard was working fine. Then I turn that software on a half hour ago and I get a warning. It says that Chassis Fan #2 has rpm of 0. I have all of my fans running full speed - they are all Nexus fans and very quiet, so I am ok with that. But because I have all of them running full speed, the sight of one indicating an rpm of zero was troublesome.

I opened up the case and saw that the fan plugged into Chassis 2 was running full speed just like the other fans in the case. I have two 92mm intake fans and three 120mm case fans, one for the Scythe Ninja, one dedicated to the XFX GE Force 7950GT video card, and one to exhaust air out the back. They are all running like champs, but the one I have dedicated to exhausting air out the back is the one that shows zero rpms on the monitor.

I checked and it seems to be just as snug as it was when I first installed it. I am at a loss as to why this would be. I thought perhaps moving the computer loosened something, but it seems odd that the rpm indicator would read zero and the fan would run just fine. If I had something jiggle loose, my guess is that the fan would stop running as well.

Anyone encounter something like this? Any ideas on how to address the problem?
Thanks

Alan

oso

Post by oso » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:43 am

Does it still say 0 rpms if you hook it up to one of the other connections on the MB?

alancfa2001

Post by alancfa2001 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:16 am

oso wrote:Does it still say 0 rpms if you hook it up to one of the other connections on the MB?
Yes. I swapped the CPU Heatsink fan with the case Exhaust fan and the monitor still shows chassis 2 as the fan with zero rpms.

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:58 am

Perhaps try another utility like Speedfan and see if you get the same thing on Fan 2.

alancfa2001

Post by alancfa2001 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:11 pm

jackylman wrote:Perhaps try another utility like Speedfan and see if you get the same thing on Fan 2.
Actually, I saw one of the BIOS Updates from ASUS specifically addressed fixing a problem with Chassis Fan #2 showing incorrect information with a low speed fan attached. I guess zero rpms is indeed incorrect.

My BIOS was 0614 and the next update a couple of weeks later had that fix. There was a beta version in-between these two that said it fixed Chassis Fan #2 showing zero rpm with a low speed fan hooked up. I guess they generalized the wording for the final release.

But I was not getting a zero reading initially. Even yesterday, I began the day with the stupid thing working! Oh well, I do not really need it since I am now using TAT and Core Temp to monitor the system temp and not PC Probe II. I do not want to flash the BIOS unless I have to, I have had too many bad experiences in the past. The computer is working just fine, although a bit hot for my liking. Still, no compelling need to flash the BIOS.