Want a silent system? Read how I built one with NO fans!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jblaabjerg

Want a silent system? Read how I built one with NO fans!

Post by jblaabjerg » Mon May 07, 2007 1:59 am

This is my first post here, so please excuse me if it is wrongly placed, or contains material that offends any minority… :-)

I’m posting to let you guys know that a high performing system with “NOâ€

miahallen

Post by miahallen » Mon May 07, 2007 3:30 am

Welcome to SPCR!
Can you post some pics for us? Thanks, sounds like a great rig...I too, am not willing to sacrifice performance for silence/cost. But, I've been able to get my rig pretty quiet too!

Atmosper

Post by Atmosper » Mon May 07, 2007 4:48 am

Seems nice, but having a water pump and a spinning hard drive isn't really "no moving parts", is it?

I think a fanless system isn't worth much when you still have a harddrive. An undervolted Nexus or two is probably make less noise than a 3.5" HDD. That's why I didn't go with a Reserator - Same noise, more hassle and money.

I still might buy a Reserator, though. I mean, a cooling tower for your computer ffs!

Still is pretty sweet to have a kick-ass gaming machine virually noiseless.
I just wouldn't be able to justify the cost and power draw of a geforce 8800

nemo

Post by nemo » Mon May 07, 2007 6:30 am

Your definition of the word "NO" is fun.

If its a samsung t seriers hdd it should still be very quiet, thoug.

How is your experience with the phantom?

cheers

IsaacKuo

Re: Want a silent system? Read how I built one with NO fans!

Post by IsaacKuo » Mon May 07, 2007 7:59 am

jblaabjerg wrote:The hard drive can be heard unfortunately, but SSD’s are way to expensive. Until they come down in price, I’ll have to live with it.
2.5" drives are much less expensive and much larger in capacity than SSDs, and you can effectively silence them within a hefty enclosure. Unlike 3.5" drives where enclosures are an inherent compromise between noise reduction and cooling, 2.5" drives are designed to run hot.

Perhaps you can get a 2.5" drive and enclose it for the OS and your most used data; keep the 3.5" drive for bulky media files and set it to spin down most of the time. The 3.5" drive will only be spun up when you're watching videos or listening to music, so that sound will tend to drown out the hard drive.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Mon May 07, 2007 10:42 am

IsaacKuo wrote:
jblaabjerg wrote:The hard drive can be heard unfortunately, but SSD’s are way to expensive. Until they come down in price, I’ll have to live with it.
2.5" drives are much less expensive and much larger in capacity than SSDs, and you can effectively silence them within a hefty enclosure. Unlike 3.5" drives where enclosures are an inherent compromise between noise reduction and cooling, 2.5" drives are designed to run hot.

Perhaps you can get a 2.5" drive and enclose it for the OS and your most used data; keep the 3.5" drive for bulky media files and set it to spin down most of the time. The 3.5" drive will only be spun up when you're watching videos or listening to music, so that sound will tend to drown out the hard drive.
Or use eSATA-which won't cost much and allows even the system drive to be stowed 6' away. Also makes a storage drive easy to switch off entirely if not in use.

jblaabjerg

Post by jblaabjerg » Tue May 08, 2007 4:39 am

miahallen wrote:Welcome to SPCR!
Can you post some pics for us? Thanks, sounds like a great rig...I too, am not willing to sacrifice performance for silence/cost. But, I've been able to get my rig pretty quiet too!
I tried, but it seems that you are only able to link to pics, not upload them. Since I have nowhere to put them I'm out of luck... :-(

jblaabjerg

Post by jblaabjerg » Tue May 08, 2007 4:43 am

Atmosper wrote:Seems nice, but having a water pump and a spinning hard drive isn't really "no moving parts", is it?
Nope hence the ""...:-)
Atmosper wrote: I think a fanless system isn't worth much when you still have a harddrive. An undervolted Nexus or two is probably make less noise than a 3.5" HDD. That's why I didn't go with a Reserator - Same noise, more hassle and money.
As I said, the HD makes noise, but I can't hear the reserator, even with the HD off. Going for alternate storage could be nice though.

jblaabjerg

Post by jblaabjerg » Tue May 08, 2007 4:46 am

nemo wrote:Your definition of the word "NO" is fun.
How is your experience with the phantom?
He, it has NO fans, the other NO was in ""...:-)
The Phantom works nicely. It will get hot when under load, but I really don't care. As long as it keeps putting out power... It is able to power the 8800 np, so it's good enough for me.

jblaabjerg

Post by jblaabjerg » Tue May 08, 2007 4:51 am

IsaacKuo wrote: 2.5" drives are much less expensive and much larger in capacity than SSDs, and you can effectively silence them within a hefty enclosure. Unlike 3.5" drives where enclosures are an inherent compromise between noise reduction and cooling, 2.5" drives are designed to run hot.
Yep I considered it, but right now 500G of 2.5" storage running at 7200 (performance remember) is 500$ and the noise is not THAT bad...:-)

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Tue May 08, 2007 5:39 am

jblaabjerg wrote:and the noise is not THAT bad...:-)
If the remaining noise is acceptable, then there's little point in sacrificing more money/effort/performance to reduce it even further.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Tue May 08, 2007 11:05 am

jblaabjerg wrote:I tried, but it seems that you are only able to link to pics, not upload them. Since I have nowhere to put them I'm out of luck... :-(
www.photobucket.com
www.imgspot.com
www.imageshack.com

Regards
Pete

jblaabjerg

Post by jblaabjerg » Wed May 09, 2007 12:10 am

peteamer wrote:
jblaabjerg wrote:I tried, but it seems that you are only able to link to pics, not upload them. Since I have nowhere to put them I'm out of luck... :-(
www.photobucket.com
www.imgspot.com
www.imageshack.com

Regards
Pete
Thanks...
Here are some pics

miahallen

Post by miahallen » Wed May 09, 2007 12:21 am

What a mess...and yet, curiously beautiful 8)
Nice work.