need a little help picking mb and ram for e4400

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bbzidane

need a little help picking mb and ram for e4400

Post by bbzidane » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:57 pm

it has been a long time since i built a computer. last machine i built had an athlon xp 2400+ in it, and since i have mainly been using laptops for school.

my laptop which has since become my main machine have become unbearably slow, which has a athlon 1600+ in it. so im ready to build a desktop machine again.

i know i want a e4400 in it, as i no longer like the thought of losing stability over o/cing. which is why i chose e4400 over e4300.

with the recent release of p35, do i gain anything by using that instead of a p965 mb? also, since i have no plans to do any o/cing, do i really need pc6400 ddr2-800 ram or can i settle for whatever is the cheapest? aiming to get 2 gigs to start, and maybe expand to 4gigs later on.

the rest of the build is going to be something like this, chosen from the great advise from this site

antec p182 case
seasonic 330 or 380 ps
2-3 samsung/seagate 500gb hdd
pioneer sata dvdrw
scythe ninja cooler
4-5 nexus 120mm fans

dont plan to game in the near future, but would like ability to do some light gaming later on
so maybe a 8600gt/gts or lower that supports h.264 decoding, passive

maybe even a fan controller while im at it

would really appreciate any opinions or comments on my upcoming build

thanks

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Re: need a little help picking mb and ram for e4400

Post by merlin » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:10 pm

Honestly, P35 is really only for people with interest in future penryn upgrades and/or serious overclocking. If neither of those are in your sights, get a cheap P965 board. Also ram is dirt cheap these days, easy to pick up 2GB of PC6400 for $50-70, just look at newegg/zipzoomfly/etc for a nice deal.

bbzidane

Post by bbzidane » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:29 am

thanks
being able to upgrade to penryn would be nice, but i dont see myself needing the upgrade that soon. and when i do, it is likely that there is something new out and i would just get that instead