Advice on new system build please

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

snoopygum
*Lifetime Patron*

Advice on new system build please

Post by snoopygum » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:53 pm

I'm looking to build a system with the following components:

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
CPU Heatsink: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme
CPU Fan: Scythe S-FLEX 1200rpm
Rear Fan: Scythe S-FLEX 1200rpm
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-520HX
Case: Antec Solo
HDD: WD Cavier SE16 WD5000AAKS or Samsung HD501LJ
Optical: Asus DRW-1814BLT
Video: Asus EN8600GT SILENT/HTDP/256M

I may moderately overclock the system.

Question 1
Up here in the great white north, the Samsung HDD cost about 30% more than the WD. Is it worth the extra cost?

Question 2
With the passive video card, should I add an intake fan in the front, or go with a larger case like the P182, or both?

Comments appreciated.

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:14 pm

Hi snoopygum. Welcome to SPCR

You've certainly done your homework, and for that I applaud you (I actually clapped my hands at the exact same time you read that). Anyway..

I just wanted to share my opinion on the HD matter. Based on what I've read here in the Silent Storage forum, I would pay the premium for the Samsung drive. If you need to cut something down to stay within budget, I would suggest a Core 2 Duo E4400. Unless you're doing heavy gaming, you won't miss the cache.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:26 pm

about the fan setup...well, with a single CPU fan and exhaust fan, you could get away with running a graphics card passively, positive air pressure would keep air coming in due to the amount exiting. as long as there's room for the card to stay cool, there's no immediate need for a fan. if you plan to overclock it, or it runs warmer than expected, a front fan wouldn't hurt anything, even if undervolted.

as per the hard drive, i'll be eventually getting a samsung to replace my WD...nothing against WD, but among the things i don't like about the drive, it tends to make a whining sound that stands out with a few undervolted fans.

the one Samsung HDD that i have lying around has always been silent from what i could tell [while inside a case, not even suspended].