My HTPC Build 2007

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Parm

My HTPC Build 2007

Post by Parm » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:53 am

Hi all!

I'm Parm and I'm new to these forums. Over the past month or so, I've been looking to build myself a new PC in the form of a HTPC for my bedroom. Having browsed so many corners of the web, I often find myself coming back to this site as it contains so much useful info. As a result, I figured it's about time I signed up and got some advice on my own build.

First up, my requirements. I last built a PC a few years back, I'm still using it and it's chugging along very nicely. Unfortunately, back then the words quiet and cool hadn't quite made it into my vocabulary and my beast of a system both heats me room and sounds like a freight train. Therefore, I'm going for a change and I've decided on a HTPC. Though it'll be a HTPC, it'll also be my only PC so I'll be using it every day for all my desktop needs. I use apps like Photoshop on a regular basis, do a fair amount of multi tasking. I would like to be able to play a game from time to time, but it's not essential, I do my gaming on an Xbox 360. I've never had a Media PC before but I really want to take advantage of that this time around. When in bed I want to be able to load of Media Centre, watch TV, record TV and not be able to hear the PC (too much!).

Secondly, my desk. Here's a picture (of poor quality, sorry!) that shows two parts of my desk:
The left hand side of the image shows an old monitor I used to have on a shelf below which the HTPC will go. It has these dimensions:
Width - 24cm, Height - 59cm, Depth - 57cm
I believe that's just about perfect for a HTPC, should look really smart. There's currently a 26" Philips LCD on the shelf and I plan on replacing that later this year with a HD Samsung LCD.
The right hand side of the image incidently shows my current PC. The part of the desk in which it sits is almost completely boxed, there's a hole near the back just to feed the wires through. As a result, heat can't escape and anything in that space is just hot. I'll be taking the PC out, putting a shelf in and just use it for storage.

Last but not least, my spec! After much contemplating, I've come up with a spec and put it on a spreadsheet which can be viewed here: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... MN_oK8xCLQ. If you don't fancy visiting the spreadsheet, here's the basic contents:
Case - Antec NSK2480 MATX Desktop Case Black & Silver - With 380W EarthWatts PSU
Power Supply - 520W Corsair HX Series Modular PSU, ATX, EPS12V, whisper quiet, 5 year warranty
Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, Socket 775, 2.4 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, Conroe Core, 4MB Cache, Retail
CPU Cooler - Scythe Mini Ninja Heatpipe CPU Cooler
Motherboard - Asus P5K-VM iG33, S775, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 1066/800/667, SATA II, uATX, On Board VGA
Memory - 2GB (2x1GB) CorsairTwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 4-4-4-12, EPP
Graphics Card - Sapphire 2600XT 256MB GDDR4 Dual DVI I TVOut PCI E Graphics Card
Hard Drive 1 - Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ 500GB SATAII Hard Drive 16MB Cache
Hard Drive 2 - Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ 500GB SATAII Hard Drive 16MB Cache
TV Tuner - Unknown
DVD Drive - Samsung SH-S183L/BEBM x18 18x DVD±R, 8x DVD±DL, DVD+RW x8/-RW x6, DVD-RAM x12, SATA, Black, OEM, LS
Keyboard & Mouse - Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000
Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64Bit 1Pk OEM (DVD)
Office Suite - Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007

I've spent what seems like an age on that spec but I still can't decide on what parts to use, I keep jumping back and forth. With the above spec in mind, here are my questions (sorry in advance for having so many!):
  • Case
    I'm really torn between the Antec NSK2480 and Antec Fusion Black. On the one hand, I like the idea of a black case (always had silver in the past so it'll be a nice change). The fusion also has stealthed drives which are a big must for a HTPC I think? Though the NSK2480 is a lot cheaper, putting a drive in it will surely ruin the whole appearance? I've heard really bad things about the Fusions VFD though, poor drivers, rarely works with the remote and very poor LCD. With the NSK2480, I could add something like an iMon if I really wanted too?
    The NSK2480 I've listed as £57.99, the Fusion Black can be had for £109.98. I'm really undecided on that one.
  • Power Supply
    I've listed one (500W Corsair HX) but I'll be trying the PSU supplied with the case first. If that's sufficient I'll keep it, if not I'll order the Corsair. From what I've read, it's one of the most efficient and one of the quieter ones too.
  • Processor
    Again in a bit of a pickle here, I've put the E6600 but I'm wondering if I should take the plunge and go for the Q6600, the price different isn't much but I'm really not sure if I could keep the Q6600 reasonably cool. I won't be overclocking it and the G0 model seems to eat less power, though still more than the E6600.
  • CPU Cooler
    I've been told that the Mini Ninja fits the case perfectly, so that's the one I've settled on.
  • Motherboard
    There doesn't seem to be much of a range for mATX boards, so I've just picked out the latest ASUS one. It doesn't have built in wi-fi which is a bit of a shame, that could always come in handy. Other than that, I think it's fine?
  • Memory
    I've put 2GB's of pretty well priced Corsair memory. As it's relatively cheap, I'm curious about getting another 2GB in there too...worth doing?
  • Graphics Card
    Spent a while on this one, originally going for an 8600GTS I've now changed to an 2600XT. It's cheaper and from what I've read, is better for HD media. It seems to suffer quite badly in games from benchmarks I've seen, but all of them say it's due to currently bad drivers so it seems to me that the 2600XT is a good card that'll only get better. Did I mention it's a good price?
    I've put the GDDR4 one down, should I just get the GDDR3 one instead though? Brings the price down a bit more.
  • Hard Drive 1 & 2
    These aren't much of a deal, I'll definitely get Samsung Spinpoint drives cause I've heard such good things about them. I could go for 320, 400 or 500 GB models, I'll see what I need. Might just start with one drive to begin with, seems a lot of storage to me but then I haven't ever recorded any TV shows.
  • TV Tuner
    This one I have no idea. I've looked around and the only conclusion I can find is that there isn't a good Tuner that works on Vista 64bit? What I want is a Tuner that allows me to watch Freeview (inc HD channels like BBC HD) and allow me to record one channel whilst watching another in Media Centre. Can't seem to find one that allows that.
  • DVD Drive
    Thought this would be the easiest component but I've gone and complicated this too. I have a standard Samsung DVD writer listed, but what if I wanted to watch a HD-DVD? I remember reading that the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive works on a PC and having checked, they can be had for £99.99 these days! Would I be able to get one of those, remove the outer shell and insert it into a PC? Trouble with that though, if I use the Fusion case for example I only have one drive bay so I'd have either DVD writing ability or HD-DVD playing ability, not both. With the NSK2480 I could do both, but without stealthed drives it sure would look fugly.
    So, Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive in an HTPC - can it be done, should it be done?
  • Keyboard & Mouse
    OK OK, I know I'm trying to keep it cheap and my keyboard and mouse combo is horribly expensive. I really like this combo though and have heard nothing but praise for it. I'm going to be using the keyboard and mouse everyday, I may as well enjoy it. I'm thankful I can resist the backlit 8000 model which is way more expensive!
  • Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64Bit, not much more to say on this matter.
  • Office Suite
    Put down Office 2007 Home and Student, it's only £80 and allows me to install on 3 PC's so my Dad, my brother and myself can all have it on our PCs, lovely jubbly.
If you're still awake after reading all that, I thank you! Any advice?

murtoz

Post by murtoz » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:58 am

The Hauppauge Nova-T-500 is a dual tuner freeview tv card, using a single aerial (although on mine there are two aerial ports which you can use together to get a stronger signal ro something - this requires reflashing the f/w, but haven't tried this yet.)

Works fine on my XP system, I can watch one channel whilst recording another. Looks like there are vista drivers too, but cannot say for sure as the hauppauge site gives an error message every time I try to check the drivers.

donu

Post by donu » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:16 am

I don't know about Freeview, but this tuner card works with Vista 64:

http://www.aver.com/mpd/combopcie_mce_spec.html

Parm

Post by Parm » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:59 am

I figured I'd been beating around the bush for too long with this HTPC and with my birthday coming up on September 7th, I figured I'd go ahead and just treat myself so I ordered a bunch of parts today, here's what I ordered: The only bits I got stumped on were Graphics Card and TV Tuner. For the graphics card I was thinking of getting a Radeon 2600XT as they're fairly cheap but I'm not sure which one would fit in the NSK2480 case? I've found from reading up on graphics cards that the new mid-range cards are all pretty much crap, doh! So I'm looking for a mid-range card that might be able to play a game or two whilst staying cool and super quiet, which one should I go for?

As for the TV Tuner, I'm totally stumped. I need a card that works with Windows Vista 64bit and allows me to watch one freeview channel (inc BBC HD) whilst recording another. It needs to work with Media Centre too.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:06 am

I don't understand the need for the Corsair power supply. The Earthwatts 380 should be plenty efficient. I couldn't really discern it's fan noise from room ambient when I was using my uncles system(NSK3380).

Parm

Post by Parm » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:57 am

I'd read in a few places that the supplied case can be noisey. Either way though, I'll be building a PC for my brother soon so if I don't need to the Corsair PSU in this build, I can use it in his.

derekva

Post by derekva » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:05 pm

I believe the ATI Wonder 650 series (both PCI & PCIe) will work with Vista x86-64 (ATI has 64-bit Vista drivers for the 650 on their download site). From an image quality standpoint, the ATI cards will be better than the AverMedia combo cards.

I've got a coworker with an extra PCI Wonder 650 that I may buy from him, so I'll get a chance to see its performance shortly. Of course, I'm only running the 32-bit version of Vista (since the Core Duo T2300 doesn't support 64-bit instruction sets)...

-Derek

Parm

Post by Parm » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:30 am

I've been recommended a Blackgold GDI3520 dual tuner card. Does anyone happen to know if these are any good? I've had a recommendation for one but I can't seem to find any reviews on it. The spec definately fits the bill, and it says it supports Vista. Any suggestions?

jhhoffma

Re: My HTPC Build 2007

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:24 am

Parm wrote: The fusion also has stealthed drives which are a big must for a HTPC I think? Though the NSK2480 is a lot cheaper, putting a drive in it will surely ruin the whole appearance?
If the optical drive bay has screw slots instead of holes to mount the drives, then you can always stealth your own drive by cutting sides off the spare 5.25" bay cover and gluing (using sticky foam or something removable) it to the tray of your drive. It works better if you remove the fascia of the drive and tray first, but I've seen people do it without.

derekva

Post by derekva » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:09 pm

Parm wrote:I've been recommended a Blackgold GDI3520 dual tuner card. Does anyone happen to know if these are any good? I've had a recommendation for one but I can't seem to find any reviews on it. The spec definately fits the bill, and it says it supports Vista. Any suggestions?
Never heard of it, but then again, I'm here in the states and don't have a lot of visibility into UK / EU television standards (e.g. SCART, PAL, etc.). However, if it is certified for Vista, you are probably OK...as long as they have a good return policy. :wink:

-D

Lensman

Post by Lensman » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:36 pm

Good choices! It sounds like my HTPC build, only much better. :)

I'm still without the video card, trying to figure out what to buy. I'm mostly torn between the MSI passive 2600XT card and the MSI passive 8600GTS card. At the moment I think the 8600GTS is the better choice but may have to go with the 2600XT because it would be much more convenient for me to have HDMI out to my TV.

I should note that I game on my other rig which is in a P182SE.

Regarding the stealthing of the optical drive, how do you deal with the eject button?

Parm

Post by Parm » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:59 am

Thanks Lensman, I'm happy with the parts I've ordered so far! :) I ordered the BlackGold Dual Tuner yesterday too so that's another part done, leaving me with just the graphics card to sort out.

I think what I need for the graphics card is a passively cooled 2600XT, but do they exist? I've had a look around but I can't seem to find one at the online retailers I usually buy from. I think the mid range cards are generally poor right now but the 2600XT plays media very well and is a very good price so I've decided to go for that one. Now all I need to know is, which is the quietest 2600XT available, and will it fit in an Antec NSK2400?

As for stealthing the drive, I've no idea on that one! Gonna have to have a look at it when the parts arrive. I'll just see how the DVD drive looks first, if I don't like it I'll look into stealthing it somehow. Exciting times ahead hehe!

Fëanor

Post by Fëanor » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:09 am

Lensman wrote:I'm still without the video card, trying to figure out what to buy. I'm mostly torn between the MSI passive 2600XT card and the MSI passive 8600GTS card. At the moment I think the 8600GTS is the better choice but may have to go with the 2600XT because it would be much more convenient for me to have HDMI out to my TV.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814127298

You mean that MSI passive 2600XT? It only has an HDMI adapter, not an actual HDMI port. You could pick up an HDMI adapter for the 8600GTS for around $10 for a cheap one.

I just ordered the MSI passive 8600GTS after doing a lot of comparison. The 8600GTS is a better card than the 2600XT from what I saw.

It is more expensive though. I just wanted to make sure you didn't pick your card just for an HDMI adapter because I've seen that card advertised some places as if it actually has an HDMI port

donu

Post by donu » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:52 pm

derekva said:
From an image quality standpoint, the ATI cards will be better than the AverMedia combo cards.
Why is this so? Please educate me. Thanks.

Lensman

Post by Lensman » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:25 pm

Fëanor wrote:You mean that MSI passive 2600XT? It only has an HDMI adapter, not an actual HDMI port. You could pick up an HDMI adapter for the 8600GTS for around $10 for a cheap one.

I just ordered the MSI passive 8600GTS after doing a lot of comparison. The 8600GTS is a better card than the 2600XT from what I saw.

It is more expensive though. I just wanted to make sure you didn't pick your card just for an HDMI adapter because I've seen that card advertised some places as if it actually has an HDMI port
Will the 8600GTS feed sound over HDMI? That's the main reason I'm inclined to get the 2600XT.

Lensman

Post by Lensman » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:28 pm

Parm wrote:I think what I need for the graphics card is a passively cooled 2600XT, but do they exist?
Certainly! There are passive versions of both the 2600GT and the 8600GTS. Look at MSI, Gigabyte, HIS, and Sapphire (new, haven't seen it in the US yet).

Parm

Post by Parm » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:43 pm

I'm thinking about getting the Gigabyte 2600XT, it's a good price, passively cooled and seems to fit the bill. I'm not sure if it'll fit in the case though! I've ordered the Antec NSK2400 and this is a picture of the Gigabyte 2600XT:

What are the chances of that fitting?

Fëanor

Post by Fëanor » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:10 pm

Lensman wrote: Will the 8600GTS feed sound over HDMI? That's the main reason I'm inclined to get the 2600XT.
Ah, OK, I see. Didn't think of that. I looked at the MSI website and the 2600XT has an integrated HD audio controller.

No mention of anything like that on the 8600GTS.

mentawl

Post by mentawl » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:09 pm

I very much doubt that card will fit in the 2400 =/. If you take a look at the pictures from the third page of the SPCR 2400 review, there's very little extra space above the slot cutouts =/.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article591-page3.html

Parm

Post by Parm » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:31 am

I think you're right mentawl, I just had a look at those pictures and think I need a graphics card where nothing goes above the card itself. That rules out the passive Gigabyte 2600XT as the heatsink goes higher and the MSI 2600XT as the heatpipes go over the top of the card.

Back to the drawing board! There's got to be a silent 2600XT that'll fit...

jebo_4jc

Post by jebo_4jc » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:24 pm

Parm-

Did you get your parts in yet? How does the Mini fit on the P5K-VM?

http://www.overclockingwiki.org
Last edited by jebo_4jc on Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Parm

Post by Parm » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:52 pm

Jebo, I have put all my parts in now. Not yet turned the system on, but they're all in. :)

I didn't get the P5K-VM, after reading around I heard a lot of good things about the Gigabyte board so went for the Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R instead. The Mini Ninja fits perfectly onto it.

Everything I ordered can be seen here: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... MN_oK8xCLQ

Flandry

Post by Flandry » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:16 pm

That's almost exactly what i'm thinking of putting together, except that i will most likely use the passive Gigabyte 8600GTS. It fits -- there are photos in one of the threads here about the Minja where the guy has one on the same mobo in the same case. ;)

Hope the system is everything you wanted!

jebusau

Post by jebusau » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:12 pm

Hey dude are you able to post the clearance from the pcb on the motherbaord when its mounted in the case to the case ceiling?

Like a couple others, i'm looking at this case and trying to figure out which of my video cards, if any, will fit...

much appreciated!

derekva

Post by derekva » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:43 pm

donu wrote:derekva said:
From an image quality standpoint, the ATI cards will be better than the AverMedia combo cards.
Why is this so? Please educate me. Thanks.
Better quality chip on board. The Theater 550 chip produces a much better quality than the AverMedia M780 combo (I've seen this myself so I can state this as 'fact'), and the 650 chip is supposed to be improved over the 550 (visible grain, moire, etc.). Ergo, the TV Wonder 650 combo card will have a better picture quality than the Avermedia combo card - at least with regard to NTSC (non-HD) signals. I can't comment on the HD quality since I don't know if the M780 is equivalent to the AverMedia 180, which is supposed to be quite good.

However, for non-HD: 650>550>M780

-D

Zehnsucht

Post by Zehnsucht » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:11 pm

Parm - how was the fit between the mini ninja and the GA-G33-DS2R mobo? I have the same mobo myself and thinking of this heatsink, but have read that it may not be possible to fit.

Zehnsucht

Post by Zehnsucht » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:05 pm

Crap. I was supposed to edit the other post. Hit the quote button istead. Sry.