New P182/E6750 build could really use some help and advice.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mikeom1

New P182/E6750 build could really use some help and advice.

Post by mikeom1 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:56 am

Hi everyone I've had a terrible time of late with my pc's. My main one (P4/IC7-Max3 build) decided to die on me, so what I thought was a few months before my next build got moved forward. So I hit one of my favourite computer related forums in search of some good components and ideas.

Usage
- Lots of Graphic and Web design (Adobe CS3)
- Lots of general Office work
- Little 3D (3DSM, Maya)
- Average amount of Gaming (PES6, Oblivion, Bioshock etc)
- Lots of Audio work (no recording though)
- Average amount of Video encoding and editing

Proposed Spec
Case - Antec P182
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (minus the C)
CPU - Intel E6750
HSF - Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme or Noctua NH-U12 (bye Ninja :))
PSU - Corsair HX620
RAM - Corsair XMS2 6400 (2x 1GB)?
HDD1 - 74GB Raptor (already own)
HDD2 - 500GB WD (already own)
HDD3 - 500GB WD (already own)
CD - Samsung SH-S183L
GFX - BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC2 320MB or Gigabyte 8600GTS 256MB Silent
Fans - Nexus 120mm x 4-5?
MON - Samsung SyncMaster 226BW (already own)

You guys must be sick of seeing this similar looking spec :P

Q and hopefully some A's :)

1. The DS3R seems to be a popular choice, are there any others I should consider? And why do they have a million variants of the same board with a few different features?

2. Ninja or Ultra-120 E? I know the Ninja is the granddaddy, but I've also heard good things about the Ultra-120 (Extreme), which one is easier to fit on my board, or the board you recommend?

3. Any advice on the Ram, is the Corsair alright?

4. GFX cards, I do like passive but the performance on the top games always suffers. If you guys could recommend anything else, I'm not a "hardcore" gamer per say but I would like to run the likes of F.E.A.R without having to knock everything down to "minimal" :D

5. What fans and how many do I need? I was thinking 3x 120mm Nexus?

6. Any other general advice is really welcome, I could use all the help :)

I really appreciate your help, I've been struggling for the past few weeks with only my laptop. And going round and round on decisions like which Mobo (from an Asus P5W DH Deluxe to a P5K to a DS3 to a DQ6 back to a DS3R you get the idea :wink:)

Cheers in advance
- Mike
Last edited by mikeom1 on Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shmanky

Post by Shmanky » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:55 am

On mainboards:

I recently ordered the Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R instead of the Asus P5K because everyone was complaining that the Asus boards run hotter. More heat means more cooling means more noise.

Gigabyte has a lot of boards and I separate them into 3 categories: those that run DDR2 memory, those that run DDR3 memory, and those that have slots for both DDR2 and DDR3 memory. The boards with a C in their model number, such as the GA-P35C-DS3R, have DDR2 and DDR3 slots. So the GA-P35-DS3R board runs DDR2 memory. If there's a T instead of a C, it runs DDR3 memory.

mikeom1

Post by mikeom1 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:39 am

Cheers for info Shmanky really useful to know, I did make sure to read your thread as it was fairly similar to what I want to build. Is yours up and running yet?

I am tempted to go with the E6850 for the extra 40 or so pounds, I was going to go with 667 MHz ram also, but the price difference was around 10 pounds between the 2 which makes me think I should really start reading up on RAM timings :P

whiic

Post by whiic » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:48 am

"2. Ninja or Ultra-120 E? I know the Ninja is the granddaddy, but I've also heard good things about the Ultra-120 (Extreme), which one is easier to fit on my board, or the board you recommend?"

Noctua's heatsink might be good too. See articles:
Scythe: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article251-page1.html
Thermalright: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article646-page1.html
older Thermalright: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article290-page1.html
Noctua: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article295-page1.html

Older Thermalright (HR-01) and Noctua are quite similar, 8 heatpipes (or dual 4 but there's no difference in performance AFAIK) and both have wide spacing between fins. HR-01 has 31 fins and Noctua has 38. Noctua is also slightly taller (but not enough to fit 7 extra fins without tightening the gap slightly). Performance characteristics are quite similar but the review was a few degrees in favour toward HR-01. This may be just due to samples reviewed or pure luck in how heatsink got seated. (Within margin of error, I'd say.)

Scythe Ninja has 24 fins. This doesn't mean the spacing is much wider - the heatsink is also shorter. (I can see 120mm fan being bigger than the heatsink in every dimension.) While having less fins, it has 12 heatpipes (or 6 dual heatpipes to be exact) instead of 8. This gives Ninja advantage on higher airflow conditions where heat transfer from contact plate to fins is more limiting than heat transfer from fins to passing air. Starting with Nexus running at 12V Ninja outperforms HR-01 and Noctua but as fan is undervolted those two will start to catch up, being pretty close at 7V and potentially catching up or exceeding at 5V.

Ultra-120 is about the height of Noctua... that is, very tall. But it's also quite tightly finned (totaling 52(?) fins). Fin edges are also bent to allow airflow created by close proximity axial fans to flow more freely. All this makes it obvious it's not ideal for low airflow cooling. (Don't get me wrong it performs "decently" at even 5V Nexus.

Collecting results from various SPCR reviews, when using 120mm Nexus fan for result comparability (even though Noctua comes with Noctua fan, which is also a recommended fanmaker):

Code: Select all

volt noise   Ninja  Ultra  HR-01  Noctua
12V   23     19     16     18     21
9V    20     22     19     19     22
7V    18     24     23     20     22
5V   <17     29     29     22     25
So for slow airflow, either HR-01 or Noctua. I think that while reviews show 3 deg difference across the voltage range, it may be due to HSF IHS interface, thus could be due to pure luck in mounting or at least could be improved by lapping.

The results on how airflow variance affects cooling would be less affected by "luck" (i.e, surface finish of heatsink and CPU matching each other, right choice of thermal paste, method of applying it, correct pressure between heatsink and CPU, etc.) but more a constant characteristic of the heatsink itself. Ultra-120 is higher airflow heatsink. Ninja is somewhere in between (even though it's wide fin spacing may seem it look like low airflow heatsink, it may be due to more heatpipes used that this heatsink excels in slightly higher airflow).

I will be building a system with Q6600 G0-stepping quad core processor cooled with Noctua heatsink. First I considered running it passive (with undervolting and possibly underclocking) but now I think that I'll definitely keep the stock clock (but probably still undervolt it). I will probably run it with Noctua fan supplied with the heatsink, using the low-rpm adapter supplied (which is basically just an extension cord with a series resistor or diode and 3-pin connectors in both sides). I hope I get lucky and get a good contact between IHS and HSF as I would not like to lap such a pricy CPU (voiding warranty) until I've at least made sure it's running properly.

EDIT: Thermalright, not Thermaltake. So "innovative" names these cooling products carry that I can't remember them correctly.

EDIT2: edited Scythe to Noctua. I indeed considered Scythe Ninja Rev.B but I changed my order to Noctua after reading about installation issues. I had already changed the order when I posted this message so I probably just had a short-circuit in my brain when typing it.
Last edited by whiic on Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

whiic

Post by whiic » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:55 am

Apparently those results aren't comparable afterall. They're probably taken on different testbeds. There's two separate results for Ninja.

Ninja review (same values also used in Noctua review): 12V: 14, 9V: 16, 7V: 19, 5V: N/A.
Ultra-120 review's values used for Ninja: 12V: 19, 9V: 22, 7V: 24, 5V: 29

All values obtained using 120mm Nexus fan, but obviously there's something different in testing methodology. Ultra-120 review didn't include Noctua so I cannot fix the table to make it something that can actually be used for comparison purposes.

Noctua may seem inferior here, but at least it has proper mounting equipment, which is one of the reasons why I ended up choosing it instead of Ninja (Ultra-120 wasn't available locally and I decided not to order it by mail). With stock clock any of these heatsinks should be capable of offering quiet and adequate cooling for E6750 and only if you demand silence to the extreme or intend to overclock, these differences in cooling performance may become meaningful. Even then, lapping alone can make a bigger difference to CPU temperature.

Ninja originally reviewed was the original Ninja. Then came Ninja Rev.A (AKA Ninja Plus) with an optional fan included, and later Ninja Rev.B (AKA Ninja Plus Rev.B) with a fan and a push-pin "easy" mounting. That push-pin mounting has been a common cause of headache for many enthusiasts running mid to high-wattage CPUs since improper pressure agains CPU IHS could result in:
- uneven cooling (seen as different temperatures reported by multicore CPUs)
- very poor cooling overall (80 deg C at idle might not be unheard of).

Of course that defect (or "feature") of Ninja is repairable by any enthusiast willing to go through extra trouble in finding proper back-plate, screws, metallic spacers, insulating spacers, springs with proper tension (optional), etc. I decided not to go through all the trouble after all.

If you can get your hand on older Ninja, original without a fan or Rev.A, then you'll probably get a heatsink that would meet your needs. Also, if you're lucky, even Rev.B might give good results. Those ultra-high temperatures may be due to incorrectly mounted heatsink (for example, unlocked push-pins*) and depending on your effort in trying to make it right as well as the motherboard you're using (ability of push-pins to lock may depend on thickness of the board and diameter of the holes)... and of course plain luck on sample variance of Ninja, motherboard and CPU IHS quality.

*You can't really blame the user for this as Scythe claims it's possible to install heatsink without removing motherboard. This is complete BS, if you want to ensure every push-pin is locked properly. Scythe also lets you believe the push-pins will click when locked. This is partially true but:
- they may click several times, clicking once before it's actually locked
- the clicks may be faint, making you push harder on a push-pin that is already locked, damaging the motherboard in process.

I will post results of Noctua on Q6600, non-lapped (and in some point of time in distant future even in lapped condition), but I don't yet have the parts to build the system. I intend to build that system next weekend (if parts arrive tomorrow) or next week. Well, maybe I lap the Noctua as I don't mind voiding warranty on a heatsink as much as voiding warranty on high-end CPU.

mikeom1

Post by mikeom1 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:07 am

Thanks for the informative posts Whiic! After going through the articles I was thinking the same on the Ninja's temperatures being different in one review to the other. It makes the Ultra-120 look so awesome I wonder why they are so different. :?

I have another look at the heatsinks, every time I read up about Ninja's it's the same thing about the fitting which scares me a bit, I can just see myself not hearing the click and pushing until the board is in two pieces :)

I'll definitely check out the Noctua the mounting process looks a lot easier, cheers :)

whiic

Post by whiic » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:38 am

"It makes the Ultra-120 look so awesome I wonder why they are so different."

Well, unlike those other three large heatsinks, Ultra-120 is designed only for fan-cooling, where as HR-01, Noctua and Ninja can be used both passively or actively. HR-01, Noctua and Ninja also work good with a fan and work very well with undervolted fans, where as Ultra-120 provides ultimate cooling at full fan voltage.

Pretty much everything in Ultra-120's design gives away it's focus on fan-cooling: tighter fin spacing, bent edges on fins (to reduce angle of attack of incoming air from an axial fan), etc. If it only had as many heatpipes as Ninja, it would be even more capable for fan-cooling very hot CPUs. (But it's still very capable in it's current configuration too.)

The results obtained using the heatsinks are pretty much what I would expect from the appearance alone.

"I have another look at the heatsinks, every time I read up about Ninja's it's the same thing about the fitting which scares me a bit, I can just see myself not hearing the click and pushing until the board is in two pieces"

If you take the motherboard out of the case, there's little chance of that happening. Scythe continues to insist it's "not necessary" but they have to defend their marketing claims of "easy" installation compared to every other heavy-weight heatsink. In fact the weight as well as center of gravity of these monsters may be one reason why push-pins don't work on Ninja as well as stock Intel cooler (not that Intel coolers are anything worth comparing to).

Bad thing is, even if you mounted the heatsink properly (taking the motherboard off), it's still not something I would guarantee to provide adequate contact for the whole life-span of the system. Only removing the pushpins from the bracket and replacing them with screws (and adding a backplate behing motherboard where to screw those screws in) can eliminate this mounting issue for good and ensure it won't come off later.

"I'll definitely check out the Noctua the mounting process looks a lot easier, cheers!"

It's easy if you pay attention to what your doing. There's lots of mounting equipment and some may look similarish but are meant for different sockets. If you have both the IQ and patience of average person, you would probably find Noctua easier to mount than mounting Ninja (properly).

Where as Ninja has good mounting method for each socket except 775, Noctua is the other way around, being most versatile on socket 775. On some other sockets, some older versions of Noctua may only be operated horizontally which may provide less outstanding performance. Recent Noctuas should come with adapter brackets to tilt mounting 90 degrees on K8 and AM2 brackets.

Mounting it vertically (thus exhausting hot air toward exhaust fan of the case) would provide some extra cooling efficiency but (not only might it be limited to socket 775) it might also be less rigid as horizontal mounting. I'm not sure about it though. It's just that with vertical mounting, the two screws with load-limiting springs are attached to both sides of the heatsink, possibly allowing the heatsink to rock up and down and tilt down due to gravity. That problem may exist even with horizontal mounting as those screws do have a spring load to prevent over-pressure to CPU die. [what I mentioned in this paragraph is unlikely to occur based on some pictures I found later]

I have to emphasize that I have not (yet) read about or witnessed such tilting down due to gravity... not with Noctua. HR-01 review did have a picture with quite severe-looking downward tilting. Reviewer recommended supporting the heatsink up to prevent it tilting down. While I'm not sure if Noctua, Ninja or Ultra-120 needs such a thing, it wouldn't harm to at least check if the heatsink is tilting after assembly and then give extra support if needed.

Noctua might have a better sideways support... might or might not. It would probably depend on whether spring load will press the mounting bracket tightly into contact with the mounting legs (that are screwed through motherboard to backplate) or whether springload pushes CPU down and CPU will provide adequate force to keep these mounting bracket from physically touching the mounting legs. I tried to find pictures of assembled systems using Noctua but did not find any close-ups or high-resolution pictures take from the right direction to allow perfect view to mounting pieces.

Here's some feast for the eyes: http://www.dvhardware.net/review110_noctua_nh_u12f.html
That's a review that really shows the beauty of that cooler. Especially the pictures of second page.

And I finally found a picture which proves that (at least if no spacer is used between CPU and heatsink) the mounting bracket will be in physical contact with the hard mounted leg pieces. Also, mounting bracket is wide, thus should prevent rocking in that direction as well. Well... here's the picture: http://www.matbe.com/images/biblio/art_ ... 025100.jpg

Here's a picture of tilted Thermalright HR-01. http://www.silentpcreview.com/article290-page4.html
It appears to be more tilted than it really is, because motherboard is a bit tilted too. But take a sheet of paper, put one of the edges paraller to LPT1 port and line up a perpendicular edge to heatpipe of the heatsink. They don't line up! The heatsink is noticeably tilted even with bare eyes.
Just noticed HR-01 isn't even available for Intel sockets...

While Noctua isn't as good a performer as Thermalright Ultra-120 or Scythe Ninja under high-airflow conditions, and while it's still among the best in low-airflow cooling. If there's no recent revision of HR-01 that will mount to socket 775, it might be The cooling solution for low-airflow cooling for 775. Question is whether low-airflow cooling is enough for your E6750. It may (or may not) be slightly inadequate for my Q6600 and I might end up not running it passively and thus Ultra-120 might have been "more ideal" for my Quad. It would have cost more and it would not have come with a very quiet Noctua fan bundled with the heatsink, though. Also, cooling CPU is beneficial only to a point, and anything more is just excessive. Since I have no plans of overclocking, there's little real benefit from Ultra-120 to justify extra 30 eur (10 eur extra for HS itself and 20 eur for a high-quality fan).

It's "funny" that Noctua HS comes with a fan even though it's capable of running many low-end CPU passively (providing adequate case airflow), but Ultra-120 which is completely useless without a fan, doesn't come with a fan. Well, at least it's better to have a lower price and let the user choose a quiet fan (like Nexus) instead of bundling a noisy fan that will end up replaced and trashed. It's also a good thing that Noctua HS comes with Noctua fan instead of any other brand. Noctua fans can handle very little backpressure but are also very quiet. Since Noctua heatsinks have widely spaced fins, the fan should be perfectly suited for it. And Ultra Low Noise Adapter (ULNA) is a good adapter too as heatsink is designed to operate on low airflow. Ultra-120 might work better with a Nexus fan instead of Noctua's due to Ultra-120's tightly spaced heatsink.

I think you might compare the good and bad aspects of Ultra-120 to Noctua instead of Ninja (which roughly is somewhere in the middle when it comes to whether they are low or high airflow type). Ninja may just require too much modification to mount it properly. (It's also a way of telling Scythe that we want the old mounting method back. It's pretty much the only way to tell them that in a capitalistic world. Sending angry e-mails doesn't help much as they will always claim that majority is happy and that it's always the unhappy minority that gives any feedback.)

Well, that was a long post... again. It always ends up that way when I'm writing.

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:27 am

I wouldnt call the Ultra120(extreme) useless without a fan.. my E6600 with a fanless Ultra120eXtreme with no fan in a P182 reached a load temp of about 55C with the rear fan and top fan set to low, also with a Nexus intake fan for the ubber hdd bay.

Obviously it performs -alot- better with airflow, and one of the nice things about the P182 is that if you have a fan -inside- the case, you can run it at much higher speeds inaudible than if you had the fan at the top or rear position... As such I run a Nexus at 700-1000rpm on the U120E without noticing it, and the exhaust and intake fans at about 400-650rpm...

whiic

Post by whiic » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:37 pm

"I wouldnt call the Ultra120(extreme) useless without a fan.. my E6600 with a fanless Ultra120eXtreme with no fan in a P182 reached a load temp of about 55C"

I might have exagerated a bit. Especially considering I did not just say "useless", I said "completely useless". ^^'
But since you had a E6600 and I'm building a system with Q6600, from my point of view U120E is quite incapable for passive cooling. Topic starter intends to use E6750 which has a power consumption somewhere between. I wouldn't feel comfortable running E6750 with a fanless U120E and using a fanless U120E on E6600 seen rather pointless too, as I could use a fanless Noctua instead and probably have quite a bit lower CPU temperature as well or alternatively being able to overclock that E6600 closer to what E6750 would be.

With enough airflow or with small enough power consumption, even stock Intel heatsink can be run without the fan supplied. Obviously you'll need case airflow equivalent to that of a tornado and that applies to noise created as well. Running all fans at low speed is usually quieter than running case fans at mid/full speed and heatsink passively.

Ultra-120 Extreme is best used with CPUs that have extreme power consumption and I admit I should have taken the option of using that cooler more seriously. Choosing Noctua I have pretty much given up hope on overclockability of the system. If mikeom1 wants to overclock or even considers overclocking in future, U120E will give the advantage of extra headroom (with cost of higher rpm and higher noise of course). But I think using a Duo there's quite a bit headroom even with Noctua.

I have to admit I made my decision partly with emotion instead of reason:
too many people have said to me Quad cannot be run passively so I just have to do it. (It may require higher voltage on exhaust fan and thus overall higher noise level, so I might end up not keeping it that way for a longer period than needed to prove it can be done.)

mikeom1

Post by mikeom1 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:15 pm

Some great points to consider, I was thinking I might want to overclock in the future and you are saying the U120E edges it slight in a head on head battle with the Noctua? Is the Noctua not really capable of cooling an OCed system?

Wibla does bring up an excellent point of running a fan "inside" in the upper hdd bay, which could be run at a higher speed to the rear and top thus generating a fairly decent bit of airflow.

Wibla how many fans do you use in your machine? Rear, Top, Upper HD bay, any in the lower chamber?

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:47 pm

the U120E really shines as fast as you get abit of airflow through it... doesnt take much either.

My E6600 @ 3GHz running F@H is running at about 38-41C with all fans at max.. noisiest thing in the system then is the Noctua 120mm in the top exhaust.

Mike: I'm running Nexus fans on the front HD/middle intake, U120E, rear exhaust and lower chamber, and a Noctua as the top exhaust.

All fans controlled by speedfan.

whiic

Post by whiic » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:22 pm

"I was thinking I might want to overclock in the future and you are saying the U120E edges it slight in a head on head battle with the Noctua?"

If full fan voltage is applied, with most of available fans, yes. But as you go down on fan voltage, the heatsink can prove itself quite restrictive with that tight fin spacing, and Noctua will catch up with U120E, and when fan in completely stopped or removed, Noctua will have obvious advantage over U120E.

Of course you don't have much chance of overclocking and running the system passively, no matter what heatsink you'll have.

"Is the Noctua not really capable of cooling an OCed system?"

Yes and no. It all comes down to how much you want to overclock. Up to 3 GHz, Noctua will be more than adequate but at this high power consumption it would no longer have a lead over U120E. If you push it beyond 3 GHz, you'll have to raise the voltage as well and power consumption increases dramatically. At some point you'd need to replace fan included with Noctua with a higher rpm fan and by this point it'd be obvious a tight spacing heatsink would fare much better at lower rpm and lower noise. You raise the voltage and clock more and some point even U120E will become incapable, no matter what fan you use on it. You'll need to go for watercooling (not just for better cooling but to reduce noise as well) and at some point that won't be enough and you'll be adding cubes of ice to your water reservoir to. Then at some point you do need liquid nitrogen.

No, there's no heatsink/fan combo (or any other cooling solution for that matter) that can handle all imaginable OCed systems. And there never will be.

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:29 pm

You might want to reconsider the P35C-DS3R...maybe get the non-C P35-DS3R. There seems to be a great deal of problems with the board (including boot up cycle issues). Honestly, by the time DDR3 becomes mainstream and you want to get some, you'll probably be getting a new [silent] computer with SSDs anyway!

mikeom1

Post by mikeom1 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:49 am

Cheers Konnetikut, I'll change that now. :)

On the HSF it definitely is down to the U120E vs. the Noctua, I'll keep thinking about it. Cheers for your input though guys, I'm loving the additional reading ;)

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:47 pm

You might want to check out my new build (General Gallery - just posted).
I'm using an Ultra-120 eXtreme with a Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E - which I can't hear at all. Makes for some great overclocking too.

:wink:

Lensman

Post by Lensman » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:18 pm

I bought PC2-8500 memory and it has helped me a lot in being able to get around some difficult overclocking situations.

At the time the price was right but I understand if prices have changed since then...

whiic

Post by whiic » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:16 pm

Edited my first post. I did order Scythe at one point but by the time I posted that message, I had already changed the order to Noctua. Don't ask me why I typed Scythe instead of Noctua. I don't know.

I assembled my system. Waiting for OS.

mikeom1

Post by mikeom1 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:41 am

I am seriously considering a Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E for the CPU fan and Nexus fans everywhere else. Making a grand total of 5 fans. :)

Cheers for the input Lensman, I have been monitoring the prices, but after asking around a bit I know a guy who knows a guy who can sell me some Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 (2x 1gb) on the cheap, the yellow/golden stuff not the black stuff with the lights that blind you every time you open the side panel :D

whiic - That's good to hear, let us know how you get on and how your sound and temperatures are would love to hear them :)

So I think I've settled questions 1, 2 (kinda), 3, 5. Now just to decide on a Graphics Card!

Oh and I have to sneak in another small Q, I did a bit of calculations on a PSU calculator and the result came out at about 454W, with a max (after I added in external bits and other pieces) at around 491W now I'm a bit suspicious of it but will a Corsair HX 520 be more then adequate to power my machine or would a HX 620 be insurance incase I wish to add say another 2 hdds and a few PCI devices and some external backup solutions say. Cheers in advance :)

whiic

Post by whiic » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:46 am

Some PSU calculators are ridiculously inaccurate. For example the first CPU calculator Google search comes across ( http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp -> Lite (=free) version ) happens to give 208 watts for my system without any CPU but 628 watts with Q6600 (assuming power cunsumption of 100% TDP). What the ****?! Since when was TDP of Q6600 running at stock clock and stock voltage reach 420 watts? When I last time checked it, it was 105 watts for original Q6600 and 95 watts for G0 stepping. Both are quite a bit lower than 420 watts.

Apparently it still assumes 105 watt TDP is I use overclock wattage calculator and use stock values for it, but it causes an increase of 420 watts in PSU value. I wonder why PSU recommendation is so high... Maybe because they have buttons to seek prices for 620/850/1000/1200 watt PSUs and they want to increase advertizing revenues by giving higher than reasonable PSU recommendations.

mikeom1

Post by mikeom1 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:36 am

You are right whiic, I tried out a few others (like SnooP PSU Calc) and they recommend around 350W so a 520W should be fine.

One thing I might have overlooked is I might require some kind of firewire solution as majority of my backup devices are firewire, should I change mobo (DS4?) or just add a PCI firewire card?

I think I've settled on the BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC2 320MB unless anyone can suggest any other decent graphics card for around the £200 mark?

Bootay

Post by Bootay » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:36 pm

My P182 with 6 hard drives and a Q6600 g0 is only pulling 120w from the wall, 160w at peak load... no video to speak of, but that's heavy disk and cpu activity... I bought a 620HX thinking the drives and quad-core would consume power, but it was amazingly efficient. With 2 more drives going in tomorrow, I'll load up some tests and see if I can push 180w. With a huge video card you can likely see 400w, but without SLI I can't imagine the system that needs more than the 520hx...