Newbie first system design

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BuschnicK

Newbie first system design

Post by BuschnicK » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:51 am

Since people have been asking me for about 4 years now whether I left the vacuum cleaner running in my computer room (no joke!) I have finally decided to end the noise and stumbled across this wonderful resource. Thank you very much - you guys are a great help!

I have never built a machine from parts myself, so I'd like to check whether my plan makes any sense. I am mainly going to use the computer for work although I do want to be able to play recent 3D games which I couldn't for quite a while now. I'm also a long time contributer to the mersenne project and thus usually have my machine running under 100% CPU load. I do not plan to overclock anything.

The intended configuration is (mainly gathered from recommendations off this site):

case: Antec P182 Case
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R
processor: Core 2 Duo E6750
memory: Corsair Dominator TWIN2X2048-8500C5D
harddisk: 500 GB WD Caviar SE16
graphics: XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 320 580M XXX
PSU: Corsair VX450W
Heatsink: Thermalright Ultra-120
extra fans: NB-BlackSilentFan XL1 (two?)

Now for the questions:

1) does this configuration make sense? Will I need any more parts?

2) I want to keep using my old optical drives and some harddisks. They are IDE and from screenshots it looks as if the power connectors are different from what the corsair PSU offers? Do I need adaptors?
I do have an IDE controller lying around in case I need it.

3) I understood from the P182 review that harddisks are preferably mounted in the lower compartment and vertically? Is that correct? Is every harddisk ok with vertical installation or does that affect lifetime or performance?

4) I intend to mount the two BlackSilentFans in the optional case mountings and not worry any more about cooling. Will I need more? For the heatsink or the graphics card?
Will this configuration run adequately cool under 100% CPU? I don't mind opening the front case doors while gaming, but with CPU only I'd rather not.

thanks for any tips/pointers,

Sören

FlorisNielssen

Post by FlorisNielssen » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:05 pm

Going to answer the things I know for sure:

On 'old' HD's and optical drives you'll need a molex connector. That PSU (and any other one) will certainly have them. An Ide-connector will also be available on your motherboard. One is available on the one you've chosen, so you can connect 2 drives (2 HD, 1 HD/1CD, 2CD). If you have more, you'll have to use your IDE-controller. Or you could use SATA-HD's. If you buy that WD, it'll be SATA and you've got plenty of SATA-ports on that motherboard.

Mounting your HD's vertically or horizontally doesn't make a difference. I heard stories of crashing HD's when chánging that setting (from horizontal to vertical or the other way around), though.

Hope thtis helps.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:54 pm

Greetings & welcome to SPCR,

For a first build, it might be easier to use a case like the Antec Solo -- the P182 is a bit more complex to use, I think.

Are you planning on overclocking? If not, then you can get "slower" RAM and save a fair bit of money. The performance difference is minimal -- virtually the same, really.

Do you really need the 8800GTS? A passively cooled 8600GTS would help make the machine a lot quieter.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:32 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:For a first build, it might be easier to use a case like the Antec Solo -- the P182 is a bit more complex to use, I think.
Second the motion. :wink:

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:15 pm

Felger Carbon wrote:
NeilBlanchard wrote:For a first build, it might be easier to use a case like the Antec Solo -- the P182 is a bit more complex to use, I think.
Second the motion. :wink:
First build, got a P182 - really easy to work with, but maybe that's just me 8)

tsmvengy

Post by tsmvengy » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:04 am

Plus, if you buy buy buy your case now the Solo is $20 after rebate at Fry's:

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/489561 ... IN_RSLT_PG

BuschnicK

Post by BuschnicK » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:37 am

Thanks for the replies,

@FlorisNielssen: Ok, so I'll need molex connectors. Good to know what I'm looking for ;-) I'll need more than the two IDE connectors provided on the motherboard but I already have the controller.

@tsmvengy: thanks for the tip, but I'm based in Germany and I do not know of any Frys shops around here.

What makes the P182 complicated? Or rather, what makes one case more complicated than another? Is it more difficult to keep cool or just more difficult to put together?

regards,

Sören