Considering a new (budget) PC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mikeom1

Post by mikeom1 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:29 am

The TM-211 hmmmm, well cheap case usually equals cheap build. No doubt it's a nice attractive price, but some plastic parts are a bit flimsy, doesn't do anything to lessen noise, there are minor fitting issues with some boards and a biggie for me I think they only fit a front and rear 80mm fan which is not too great if you want to run quietly (normally we go for large slow moving fans then fast little fans).

So with these in mind the TM-211 doesn't really feature for me, unless you want something a bit smaller then a Sonata (due to size constraints). Plus you would definitely need to replace the PSU and stock fans in the TM-211, so you probably end up paying about the same or maybe a bit more ;)

Hmmm there is always something about modern mobo's with using old psu's it's a bit hit and miss, I'm using the reverse at the moment, new psu with old mobo :P

Good Post to check out on 24 pin mobo and 20 pin psu - not sure if this will apply to you :)

I'd probably be inclined to use the same case in fairness save yourself some cash, unless you want a brand new shiny case + new shiny psu ;)

blizeH

Post by blizeH » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:23 am

Edit: Oops, just your reply, tyvm for that! I think the TM-211 is definitely out of the question then!

(sorry to keep on)

I've just had a good look around at reviews of the Sonata, and I then realised that there wasn't a massive difference between the Sonata I and the Sonata III, so maybe I should keep my existing case. But then the Earthwatts PSU looks really sweet, I'm really keen on getting an efficient PSU and this one seemed ideal. But then I've heard bad things about Antec PSUs, and the one in my old Sonata only lasted a couple of years before dying. Hmm.

And then I read a review focusing on the negatives of the Sonata, and you know what? I had to agree with the guy, my original Sonata PSU was very unreliable before eventually dying, it does make a low toned rumbling noise that has always been a bit of a pain, but was further emphasised when my computer was moved onto the carpet and can now be heard really loudly downstairs, and it does scratch really easily. Oh, and the door is kinda neat, but also a pain too.

So, the Sonata III is now well out of the question for me unfortunately, shame as it recieved very good reviews and like I said, the efficient PSU was very tempting.

Please disregard all of the above if you do not like waffle!
Which now leaves me to just two options:
1) Place the new components into my current Sonata I and use my Antec 500W SmartPower PSU (http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/90609), then sell my old parts seperately.
2) Purchase a new case (maybe an Antec Solo? I don't know) and a new Corsair 450W PSU, then sell my old computer as it is.

I'm very open to suggestions on the best thing to do as well as what case and PSU to get, needless to say I'm really sorry for keep going on, but I'm so close to ordering now, I just need to sort what to do with my current setup and potential new case/PSU!

blizeH

Post by blizeH » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:49 am

Currently looking to get either http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/103565 or http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/114826 (both Coolermaster Centurions)

Which PSU should I go for, this Corsair 450W @ http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/131052 , a Coolermaster 500W iGreen @ http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/115161 or my existing Antec 450W modular PSU @ http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/90609 and save some pennies?

mikeom1

Post by mikeom1 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:00 am

No worries, I'd say keep the case and get a 450W (although I must warn you it's not modular, which is why I had to step up to a 520W Corsair).

Corsair 450W - If modular is not essential

Earthwatts 380W - If you PC is not too demands, a great budget PSU.

I'd avoid the SmartPower lot if you are looking for real quiet, I have one in an old build and it does make a lot of noise compared to say my Corsair or Seasonic.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:03 am

Which now leaves me to just two options:
I would say option 1 is best. you can always quiet down your existing PSU with a fanswap, a lot cheaper than a whole new PSU.

blizeH

Post by blizeH » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:06 am

True, but then I'd have to buy a cheap PSU for my current computer too :(

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:33 am

huh? i thought you were going to sell your current computer? :?

blizeH

Post by blizeH » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:35 am

Well yes, but if I use my Antec TruePower 500W thing in my new PC, I'll need to replace it in the old one :P

blizeH

Post by blizeH » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:21 am

Sorry for asking yet more questions, but it's going to arrive today, and even though I won't have a chance to do anything with it tonight, I may as well ask now so I'm prepared for when I set it up on the weekend. Just couple of quick questions I hope anyway.

1) I've never installed XP onto a SATA drive before, apparently you need to install drivers etc pre-installation? Should I plug it into my current PC and install it there first?
2) It's a 500GB drive and I'd like to partition it (100GB or so for the Windows partition, 400GB for general data) so again, is there an easy way of doing this during the XP setup or should I partition it in my current PC?
3) I've got an E6750, Asus 256mb x1950 Pro along with 2GB DDR6400 (I think?) GieL memory and an Asus PK7 motherboard ; anything on there worth overclocking that's easy and won't explode or get uber hot/loud?

Many thanks

ACook

Post by ACook » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:49 am

blizeH wrote:1) I've never installed XP onto a SATA drive before, apparently you need to install drivers etc pre-installation? Should I plug it into my current PC and install it there first?

you need to press F6 during startup of xp install, and proved a floppy with the drivers, which should be included with the mb or on the mb cd.
2) It's a 500GB drive and I'd like to partition it (100GB or so for the Windows partition, 400GB for general data) so again, is there an easy way of doing this during the XP setup or should I partition it in my current PC?
I believe xp install provides a way for that. but can't hurt to check it n the working pc first.

Lensman

Post by Lensman » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:07 am

blizeH wrote:1) I've never installed XP onto a SATA drive before, apparently you need to install drivers etc pre-installation? Should I plug it into my current PC and install it there first?
You only need to to do this if you want to run your drive in AHCI mode. I think most people do recommend running in AHCI mode for performance and hot-swapping.

1. If you want to do a fresh install on your new computer, you'll have to install the drivers via floppy, usb flash drive, or slipstream them into an XP installation CD. I'd recommd the latter anyway if you don't already have a Windows XP SP2 installation disk. You'll also be able to slipstream all the new drivers for your new hardware as well.
2. I know you can bootstrap your way into AHCI in Vista, but I'm not sure about XP. The annoyance of Windows Activation always drives me to fresh installs.
Partitioning at XP setup is easy enough.
3) I've got an E6750, Asus 256mb x1950 Pro along with 2GB DDR6400 (I think?) GieL memory and an Asus PK7 motherboard ; anything on there worth overclocking that's easy and won't explode or get uber hot/loud?
What motherboard was that and what heatsink/fan are you using? You should be able to take the E6750 to 3.0-3.2 ghz easy without too much heat. After that is more of a function of what you want to do, but you might think about going up to 3.4 ghz.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24418 ... king-e6750
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24000 ... uals-guide
Last edited by Lensman on Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blizeH

Post by blizeH » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:26 am

That's excellent, thank you so much! :)

Think I'll go to 3Ghz if at all possible, but I guess overclocking and monitoring temperatures/fan speeds are all very motherboard specific?

djkest

Post by djkest » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:44 pm

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. If you haven't gotten it already, do not get a coolermaster centurion case. It's cheap, but it's not favorable for silent computing. The whole front is stacked with non-removable "tool-less" drive bays that make it hard to mount suspension. The side and top panels are very thin. The front panel is entirely metal mesh which lets the sound right out. And the front only has room for a SINGLE 80mm intake fan.

blizeH

Post by blizeH » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:01 pm

Many thanks for the warning, I've already got it all setup now I'm afraid, or rather, not afraid since I absolutely adore the case, looks great for a case of the price, and had some really nice features; two case fans, screwless drive bays etc - it seems really quiet too, except for a slight whistle sound which I can't work out where it's coming from. Oh, and a few irritating motherboard problems :(

blizeH

Post by blizeH » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:14 am

Can't get my USB 2.0 working at all :(