BIG build problems

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Moffit

BIG build problems

Post by Moffit » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:25 pm

Heya guys, i posted on here some time ago about a new E6750 build of mine, and am in serious rage-mode.

...The saga has been going on for 12 weeks now. (yes - 12 weeks)
So the system is as followed:

Core 2 duo, E6750
ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP AiLifestyle Series P35
Corsair VX450WUK 450W PSU
Extra Value Nvidia 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 OEM
Hitachi Deskstar T7k500 320 gigs
Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler + Noctua 12 cm
Antec solo p150 case

So im thinking: "Hmm, nice build!" not bad as I won the graphics card from a competition in PCGamer magazine so that shaved 300 quid off the buy price.

But unfortunately i've had SUCH bad luck with this damned thing - a brief list of things gone wrong:

Wrong mobo ordered - returned
Over volted the PSU (hard way to learn not to touch the red switch) (coolermaster 380 exploded) - returned
2nd unworking psu (as above) - D.O.A. - returned
faulty graphics card - returned (took about 1.5 months as it was a prize so coudnlt return it on my account - had to phone up SOO many people)
New PSU (corsair 480) bought, but 8800GTX needs 2x6pin pci's so ordered a 2xmolex=1 6pin pci adapter

SO now, after a very very very long time without a working computer ive plugged it all and it STILL DOESNT F%&@ING WORK. Its annoying me so much i properly am getting close to smashing it up.

What happens IS:
When first plugged it all in, it all spins up, no bleeps or anything, seems like its working completely fine but the screen recieves no signal.
Couple of attempts down the line, I press the on button and the fans half spin up and then die. so im assuming its a power issue. Of course the 8800 gtx being mad power hungry and the 450 corsair being a little weak for it is a source of error - BUT - the exact same thing happened (first power up but no monitor signal, then only half powering up after that) when i used my original graphics card that i won 12 weeks ago (an ATI X1950 512mb)
So im wondering now if the whole thing is my damned motherboards fault, or is it power?!

Ill probably end up buying a 550/650W PSU just to eliminate possible source of error, but for the life of me im stumped. The 450 Corsair is a very good make surely? So im sure it could handle a GTX (remember i only have a 17inch flat screen to power up)
And on top of all that, funds are now seriously limited, ill pretty much only get to buy one more thing before i have to then wait for pay day next month.

So where do i turn for help? The site that inspired me to build the damned thing in the first place! Damn SPCR and its silent core 2 duo p150 build ¬_¬

So yeah, if you have ANY advice or judgment to sling my way AT ALL, go for it!

-Moff

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:29 pm

Borrow an old crappy video card from somebody to start the diagnosis. Something like an X1300. Put it in place of the 8800 and see if you get to the BIOS screens.

Dazrin
Friend of SPCR

Post by Dazrin » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:47 pm

Have you tried booting with only one stick of ram? If you can get to the BIOS with one stick, set the voltage per the manufacturer, then add the second stick and try again.

Arvo

Post by Arvo » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:54 am

Some vendors recommend: Clear CMOS before first time booting up new motherboard.

This is the first thing to do. If this doesn't help, follow advices, given above - boot with one stick of RAM, try different video. You may even try "full cycle":

* remove/disconnect everything (RAM, video, HDD) except CPU and coolers and front panel connector (incl speaker!)
* clear CMOS
* start PC - it should issue long beeps (no RAM)
* add one stick of RAM, start PC - it should beep to indicate missing video
* add video card - it should boot into BIOS
* add another components

I've healed some older mobos with such sequence.

Moffit

Post by Moffit » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:58 pm

i tried booting with one stick - same goddamned error!
Im going to try to exhaust all possibilities...

any other ideas? The motherbaoard couldnt be blowing the gfx card each time if it was faulty could it?

-Moff

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:05 pm

the board should be fine if its powering on at all.

the 8800 however, may be the issue still. it may have too little power [as in weak amps] or its just bad.

if you take out the card and start, do you get any beep codes?

i don't think anything else could really be causing that problem.

Kristian

Post by Kristian » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:36 am

Since you are asking for ANY idea:

Have you connected the auxilery ATX12V1 4/8 pin power?

It is usually located to the north west of the CPU. (so PSU is connected to the mobo with 2 connectors - the 20/24 pin main power and the mentioned 4/8 aux power for the pci-e slots)

I know it is a very simple suggestion but "When first plugged it all in, it all spins up, no bleeps or anything, seems like its working completely fine but the screen recieves no signal." is exactly what happens if you boot up without it.

Moffit

Post by Moffit » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:05 am

Smooth work kristian, as soon as i posted i realised i had d/cd the aux power to the board to go through some crazy checklist i found online, connected it all back up but still the same error occurs. Really confusing and quite annoying.
Im still working on it :( ...

Kristian

Post by Kristian » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:17 pm

Would have been nice if it had solved it all. :)

"I press the on button and the fans half spin up and then die."

I had the misfortune to brake a motherboard (Asus P5N32-E SLI) while installing a Ultra 120 Extreme recently and it behaved very simular. I never quite worked out precisely in what way I had broken it, but I it must have been either mechanical damage or short circuiting caused by small (but clearly visible) metal grates from the heatsink mounting bracket threading.

You can compare your symptoms to what I experienced in this thread if you like. Maybe that can give you a hint if it is the right direction to look: viewtopic.php?t=40955

As you can also see in above thread, replacing the E120U with the stock CPU cooler enabled the system to boot up enough to diagnose the mobo as screwed. I'd say it is a longshot but if symptoms match as close as it looks at first glance then it could be worth a try.

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:29 pm

when a friend of mine had a problem similar to the first one, it was because the memory was in the wrong slots.

in the manual, it specified that memory be in the first and third slots, but it was an MSI board with the retarded color codes... and i had only built amd's at that point... so i told him to plug it into slots 3 and 4... which was dumb.

plugging it back into 1 and 3 worked.

Moffit

Post by Moffit » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:30 am

Fixed! Fixed bloody fixed!
Thank you kristian.

following your advice of the power being a slight problem the source of the problem was this:

The mobo came with an 8-pin aux power connector and a little 4 pin stopper on one side, showing only 4. I assumed this was because the mobo works just as well with older power supplies as newer ones. Basically I had plugged the 8 pin one in, assuming they would both work - so apparently only the 4 pin plug works properly. Simple means of changing the two and it all seemed to fall in to place then after, thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas - VERY much appreciated :)

-Moff

Kristian

Post by Kristian » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:51 am

Excellent.

I would have had the same assumption on the 4/8 pin connector (that it works either way). But as long as it works who cares - especially after 14 weeks I would imagine. :lol:

TK421

Post by TK421 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:41 am

Kristian wrote:Excellent.

I would have had the same assumption on the 4/8 pin connector (that it works either way). But as long as it works who cares - especially after 14 weeks I would imagine. :lol:
Good Work Kristian!!