Q6600 audio system - confused...

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bhuether

Q6600 audio system - confused...

Post by bhuether » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:45 pm

I know there are tons of posts on similar systems. Problem is, more I read them the more I get confused.

Here is what I know I am getting:

Case: P180
CPU: Q6600
HDs: WD 7200RPM SATA (3 of them)
Power: Seasonic 450W
Video: some basic card with passive cooling

Here is where I get confused...

Fans and CPU coolers.

I will start with CPU coolers. I read these posts where people are buying heatsinks and then replacing the fans. Won't I be ok with a Zalman CNPS9700? I don't want this to be complicated...

Ok, now fans. Doesn't the P180 come with all the fans I could possibly need? If not, what fans do I need and where?

thanks,

brian

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:45 pm

well, in theory, you have everything you need when you finish building the computer [aside from the OS].

people tend to replace loud fans with quieter and more efficient fans. The P182 comes with Antec Tri-Cool fans, which are quite loud, i have one myself, and i tend to keep it on low 100% of the time. most people will buy 120mm fans and replace the Tri-Cools, so they'll have Yate Loons, Scythe S-Flex's, or Nexus fans. they're quieter, and move more air than the Tri-Cools, so its better in a low-noise environment.

as for the CPU cooler, most people here aim for larger fan solutions. the scythe ninja and thermalright Ultra 120 extreme both utilize 120mm fans, so its very easy to find a quiet fan for them, however for performance, you can always get a higher RPM fan.

of all the things to keep in mind with a Q6600 is its TDP. if you've got the G0 stepping, just make sure that your cooler can handle at least 115. you don't want a cooler that will just hit the mark, you need headroom with a CPU. instead of the Zalman, i'd suggest the Ultra 120 Extreme or Ninja, they're very good coolers, and perform much better than stock.

unless you're really set on making a silent computer you should be fine running stock, i'm not sure how a 9700 performs on a Q6600, but i'm sure its not hard to find a review.

Luminair

Re: Q6600 audio system - confused...

Post by Luminair » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:03 pm

bhuether wrote: Here is where I get confused...

Fans and CPU coolers.

I will start with CPU coolers. I read these posts where people are buying heatsinks and then replacing the fans. Won't I be ok with a Zalman CNPS9700? I don't want this to be complicated...

Ok, now fans. Doesn't the P180 come with all the fans I could possibly need? If not, what fans do I need and where?

thanks,

brian
You are wrong if you think that making a silent pc is not complicated :)

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:34 pm

What exactly are you going to use your PC for, and what are your goals as far as noise is concerned? Are you going to use it to record and process audio? Or will it be used in a studio, where it could potentially cause noise that would be picked up in a microphone? Silent computing is about compromise, and finding a PC that meets your goals. Will you be okay with a CNPS9700? I can't answer that because I don't know what your goals are. There is no "perfect solution." All I can tell you is that a Scythe Ninja with a nexus fan will be quieter and cooler at lower airflows.

As far as the fans in the P180 are concerned, for most people they are very quiet, however, for us SPCRers they are often too loud. Their are other fans that can be run at a slower, quieter rpm, and have a smoother sound to them. I personally have a Antec tri-cool, exactly the one that comes in the P180 in my case, which is quiet enough for my needs. However I am running it at 5V on high, which is quieter than running it at 12V on low.

Edit: Post 500 WOOOOOOOOOOO!

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:56 pm

It’s not exactly complicated but it will depend on how low you want to go in the noise stakes, what speed you’ll run your Q6600 at and how much you want to spend.
If you define your parameters first it’s easier to achieve your goals and people here will help you spec a machine in conjunction with you reading the reviews.

The biggest issue I can see is the three drives. I like the P180/182 but I don’t find the drive cages quiet enough, if you know what I mean, they don’t actually make a noise of course. :)