Component choice advice please

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

yan9

Component choice advice please

Post by yan9 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:31 am

I am now about to order the components for my new build and would like it checked and advised if anything looks wrong please.
gigabyte p35 ds4
c2d 6750
Scythe Ninja rev b
crucial 667
Antec Solo
Corsair HX 520 or Antec Neo 450w ?
Asus 8600gt silent
Samsung 320gb
Samsung rwdvd
Vista 32 bit
Nexus 120 case fan
Will the Ninja fit on the motherboard and does everything look ok.

protellect

Post by protellect » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:08 pm

That motherboard appears to support faster memory then DDR2-667. Might as well look at getting some Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800, which says in its EPP it will do 1066@5-5-5-15. [I have some, and CPU-Z Says the EPP will allow it to do 1066 @ those timings]

Either power supply would be fine. Even a Corsair 450 would be find, but the modular cables are really nice.

I'm anti- MS Vista for now, but, if you like it, go for it :)

Looks nice otherwise. the 6750 is a blazing fast chip.

sitalchauhan

Post by sitalchauhan » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:04 pm

The mobo is good but I prefer the Asus P5K-Dlx for a little more money. However, if you are not going to overclock (as I would assume by your memory choice), both are a little over the top and you can get a much cheaper one that performs exactly the same.

If you can stretch slightly more for the Q6600 I would definately do it, otherwise the 6750 is fine.

If you are looking to run the cpu completely passive with no fan at all, the ninja is the best. However, if you get the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme with a quiet fan running at 5V, you will have lower temps and I bet you wouldnt be able to hear the fan running inside the case.

If you are never at all going to overclock, then cheap Crucial 6677 ram is fine. However, if you might do some overclocking at all in the future, even if it is the smallest chance, get the 800 ram as it is only slighter more and it gives you the chance to overclock a little if you want to experiment.

The Antec Solo is an excellent case. If you have a little more money then I would go for the ANtec P182, but if not the Solo is great.

I would go for the Corsair HX520 power supply.

yan9

Post by yan9 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:01 am

Hi protellect and sitalchauhan thanks for the replys/help although I am not thinking of overclocking I will take your advice and get the 800 ram.
Would Corsair ram be ok, the reason being is that both of the places I was going to order from dont sell Crucial ram.
The reason I have at present chosen the Gigabyte DS4 is because of the extra cooling and I have read that they use less power than the Asus.
( advice please)
Perhaps I should go for the Thermalright with low running fan especially as some people are having problems with the mounting of the Ninja.
( and this is my first build, more advice please ).

sitalchauhan

Post by sitalchauhan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:14 am

Corsair ram is perfect for yourself as they are a very popular company with superb customer support. Most people go for the Crucial Ballisti ram because they have Micron D9 chips which are good for overclocking, but if you are not going to be overclocking or only lighly, then Corsair is fine.

The Asus P5K may run slightly hotter than the Gigabyte DS4, but I doubt it is much more. The only reason the mobo temps on the asus show higher than the gigabyte is because the mobo temp sensor on the p5k is right next to the cpu socket, so gets some extra heat from the processor. However, I do believe that both of the motherboards are overkill for your system.

I also decided against the ninja because of many people complaining about high temps with the new mounting mechanism, so I got the ultra-120 extreme. I have got a yate loon running at 5v on it and i cannot hear it running at all as the walls of the case basically absorb all of the noise.

yan9

Post by yan9 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:12 am

sitalchauhan thanks for the reply, could you please tell me what corsair ram you would reccommend.
I chose the DS4 because of the presumed better heatpipe cooling, and the lesser power consumption of the Asus boards, if you could reccommend some suitable cheaper boards it would be appreciated.
I fully understand if the board I am thinking of getting is an overkill.
I am new to this game and an oldy.