What case fans for Silverstone LC-20m

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

anthongy817

What case fans for Silverstone LC-20m

Post by anthongy817 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:28 am

I am finalizing my HTPC build which includes:

Case: Silverstone LC-20m
CPU: Intel Q6600 (G0 stepping)
MB: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
GPU: Gigabyte 8600GT (passive)
HD: Samsung SpinPoint 500GB SATA
RAM: Corsair XMS2 2GB
PSU: Corsair HX520

The Silverstone LC-20m states fan slots of:
Front: 2 x 92mm or 80mm fan slots
Rear: 2 x 80mm fan slots
Side: 1 x 80mm fan slot & PSU vents

What type of fan (brand) should I get that is quiet and with good air flow? How should I setup the fans to get the best air flow in the LC-20m?

I have not picked out a CPU HSF yet because I do not know what would fit. I have considered the Scythe Ninja Mini, but would like to know if there is anything better. I would also need somebody to recommend a good fan to attach to the HSF. I will not be overclocking the system at all. I would like for it to be as stable/cool/quiet as possible.

Thanks,
Anthony

StanF

Post by StanF » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:51 am

I used Antec Tri-cool on low for all the fans on my LC20, mostly because they were readily available from Fry's. And also because they would be easy to crank up a notch if temperatures were higher than I wanted.

They are quiet enough for my taste, but not completely silent.

anthongy817

Post by anthongy817 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:24 pm

StanF wrote:I used Antec Tri-cool on low for all the fans on my LC20, mostly because they were readily available from Fry's. And also because they would be easy to crank up a notch if temperatures were higher than I wanted.

They are quiet enough for my taste, but not completely silent.
I remember reading that the Antec Tri-cool is not a very efficient (noise:airflow) fan. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:56 am

At 80mm, you really only have a couple of options: Nexus or undervolted Yate-Loon D80SM-12s. If you could find D80SL-12s that would be better but I haven't seen them in a long time.

I don't know of any others off hand, but I assume you've already looked at the Recommended Fans Page?

anthongy817

Post by anthongy817 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:39 am

jhhoffma wrote:At 80mm, you really only have a couple of options: Nexus or undervolted Yate-Loon D80SM-12s. If you could find D80SL-12s that would be better but I haven't seen them in a long time.

I don't know of any others off hand, but I assume you've already looked at the Recommended Fans Page?
Ahh...I think I'm going crazy. There are so many different fans; I just cannot really decide. I've already read the recommended fans page, but it just leads me back to the Nexus.

The Nexus I know is almost silent, but it barely moves any air. I really do not want to do any volt-modding on the fans, I just want a good/efficient drop in fan.

If I do end up purchasing the Nexus for the case fans, what will I do for the cpu fan for the Scythe Ninja Mini? The Nexus is a sleeve bearing which will not be very reliable in high heat, correct?

anthongy817

Post by anthongy817 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:14 am

Ok, I have narrowed it down.
-(2) Noctua NF-R8 80mm fans for the rear.
-Either (2) Noctua NF-R8 80mm or (2) Nexus Real Silent 92mm for the front.
-Either Noctua NF-R8 80mm or Nexus Real Silent 92mm to mount on the Scythe Ninja Mini.

Please help me decide between the Noctua or Nexus for the front and cpu fan.

Thanks,
Anthony

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:02 am

I'd take two Nexuses in front. And maybe put Noctua on Ninja. Intakes are probably filtered which would cause some problem in noctua for backpressure howl.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:43 am

Intakes are not filtered by default, but that doesn't mean they're not restrictive. Get whatever you can get for less and run them. The nexii won't have any problem running on a CPU cooler if you have adequate case airflow. I'd start with the rear exhaust and CPU HSF and go from there, you may not end up needing intake fans (I doubt it) if the intake is open enough.