Adding 1Gb DDR2 for dual channel up power draw much?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

HedgeHocker

Adding 1Gb DDR2 for dual channel up power draw much?

Post by HedgeHocker » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:01 am

Hi,

I'm thinking of adding another stick of Kingston DDR2 Value RAM 533 to my VIA C7 setup. I'm considering this because RAM prices are so low now and I'm sure the dual channel at 128-bit vs the single at 64-bit would add noticeable performance (wouldn't it?) but I do not want to add a significant increase in system power draw - point of having this system.

Does anyone know *about* how much of a spike in power draw I should expect if I do this? I believe the RAM is the standard 1.8 volt.

I don't know the formula to find this so I have to ask.
Maybe I should go ahead and get myself a couple of 512 sticks? Same power draw? It can get confusing for me. What do you all think? ...backup 1Gb Kingston RAM is never bad.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:07 am

Let us put this way: If your system couldn't handle adding one stick ram, you'd need to run it so close maximum consumption now that it hardly would be stable.

Memories take very little energy. So you wouldn't need to be worried about increase in consumption. Its hardly noticable.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:45 am

Yup, most memory only uses a few watts per stick. :)

bkh

Post by bkh » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:36 am

My rule of thumb is 10 watts per stick of DRAM, and 10 watts per disk drive.
I would buy the DRAM for performance reasons. Surely you can save 10 watts somewhere else in your house or apartment with little effort if you are looking to be green.

Flandry

Post by Flandry » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:23 pm

Here is some potentially useful information.

HedgeHocker

Post by HedgeHocker » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:35 am

Okay, thank you all.

The C7 has a heatsink and fan combo and I was hoping to find a silent heatsink only replacement anyway and that should compensate keeping me on goal with my project.

Another help thread.

:D

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:30 pm

My rule of thumb is 10 watts per stick of DRAM, and 10 watts per disk drive.
I would buy the DRAM for performance reasons. Surely you can save 10 watts somewhere else in your house or apartment with little effort if you are looking to be green.
If you run a rule of thumb like that you might as well say 100W for a motherboard 100W for a Graphics card.

RAM uses 2W MAX in a typical case (DDR2), DDR1 wont be much if any higher at all, say 3W MAX.

FYI HDD's can hit 18W "peak" when powering up, but you are right the typical mean usage is ~10W.

Andy