Need new video card, opinions on the new ATI 2400xt? other?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

comfortablynumb

Need new video card, opinions on the new ATI 2400xt? other?

Post by comfortablynumb » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:54 pm

I need to replace a dyeing Pci Express Geforce 6200, and would like to get something fanless. I'm looking at the new Gigabyte ATI 2400 XT I don't really plan on playing any games, I have some older ones but doubt I'll ever run them again. I use the PC for photo editing, watching DVD's, web surfing.

My main concern is that if my system flows enough air to purchase a fanless graphics card. I have an Xblade case with a Globalwin silent 120mm intake that moves 41cf's, a Evercool 120mm exhaust fan that can move 76 cf's but I'm running it in low mode via the bios as it's way to noisy and a 120MM fan in the PSU.

My current system temps (at load) are 38C board and 40c for the CPU, my Geforce 6200 is running 58C

SPECS:
Coolermaster True Power 450watt PSU
DFI Lanparty Ultra D
AMD 64 3000+ (939)
Corsair XMS DDR 3200 1Gb
EMU 0404 Soundcard
Last edited by comfortablynumb on Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shobai

Post by Shobai » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:11 pm

at what speeds do you run your fans? if they're not flat out blasting, i sincerely doubt that they're pushing the air you say they are. also, if you are running them flat chat, why bother with a passive card? so, i'll assume that the fans aren't going full bore.

next, those temps sound relatively high - i used to run a s939 x2 4200+, and never got near those temps in a relatively quiet setup. have you by any chance chopped the grills on your intakes and exhausts? that will improve your airflow and quite possibly noise as well.

so, if you can sort those things out, i suspect you should be ok running a passive gcard - it will need some air, but if you can reduce your ambient [sounds like it could even be something like 25-30C with those temps..] that should make it easier on you. check out how to snip your grills if you haven't already :)

comfortablynumb

Post by comfortablynumb » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:26 pm

The front fan is running flat out, the rear fan is running about half speed, set in the bios, and to kick into full speed once the CPU hits 50C what thankfully it hasn''t. Also I'm running a stock heatsink/fan I beleive I have that running in low mode also till the CPU gets to 50C.

I haven't snipped off the grills, I'm planning on dumping this pos case at some point for something better. I really need to get some canned air and dust it out that would help too I'm sure.

The Video card is running massively hot because the fan is dying and barely spins. I'm not going to waste money trying to find a replacement fan for it seeing as I can get a cheap card for now for the same price.

comfortablynumb

Post by comfortablynumb » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:34 pm

I forgot to mention above (just edited) that those temps where at load. Nominal temps when not doing anything

CPU: 31 C Board 32 C Northbridge 47 C

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:56 pm

That temp of 58C doesn't seem very high for a GPU. If it's currently meeting your GPU needs, I wouldn't spend money on a new one. I'd suggest moving your intake fan right next to the graphic card (unless you move your case on a more-than-seldom basis) so it blows right on it.

Then, run the thing 'til it don't run no mo'.

P.S. You might also try removing the card's heatsink, cleaning it thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol, and reinstalling it with good thermal compound (e.g. Arctic Silver 5). That should help its temps.