Just got a MSI P35 Neo2 FR

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cowsled

Just got a MSI P35 Neo2 FR

Post by cowsled » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:46 am

Hey guys, I just noticed two ports that i've never seen before and I was wondering if any of you could clear it up a bit for me :). The first one is that, rather having a 4 pin, square ish port near the CPU (ATX I think), it has an 8 pin. Why exactly would you need 8 pins here? Secondly, there is this 4 pin flat port right bellow that 8 pin one. It's labeled JPWR1 and it says in the manual that it's there to provide additional power to the graphic card. I don't quite understand why you would need that seeing that you already have a 6 pin in the graphic card. What is it for?

If anyone could answer any of this, it would be greatly appreciated :)

Joe Public

Post by Joe Public » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:21 am

I believe the 8-pin connector is an EPS12V one, previously found on server boards, but as multi core CPUs made their way into the consumer market, it was needed to provide enough juice to the CPU.

As for the other one, perhaps it's there as an auxiliary connector for graphics cards which don't have a power connector, just as a precaution. (Only a guess, I could be wrong).

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:03 pm

The answer for both is stability. When the PD's came out with TDP's over 100W, the 8-pin CPU was added. It's not necessary unless you have a CPU that draws over 100W (i.e. original Pentium D or quad core). Intel used to have a doc on it at their site, but I can't find it.

And the 4-pin Molex near the VGA slot is to make sure the slot can provide enough power. You're right, it is redundant on cards that use a 6 pin PCI-E adapter.

cowsled

Post by cowsled » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:20 am

Thanks!