Looking for some guidance/advice on my build...

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

yamahaSHO

Looking for some guidance/advice on my build...

Post by yamahaSHO » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:23 pm

Howdy,

I built a new computer about two months ago and I'm going through and changing some things... To start, here is what I built about 2 months ago:

- MSI P6N Diamond
- Core2Duo E6750 w/ Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (lapped & AS5)
- Kingston HyperX 2 x 1GB DDR2 RAM (PC6400)
- EVGA nVidia 8800GTS Superclocked
- Built-in X-fi
- Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 MCE
- SAMSUNG DVD Burner SATA
- WD SE16 320GB & SE16 500GB x 2
- Enermax Infiniti 720w PSU
- Yate Loon 120mm fan x 5
- Samsung 40" 720P LCD HDTV
- Vista Home Premium

Here is how it sits now. The difference is I've changed to an 8800GT SSC and I'll be sliding in a new HD DVD/Blu-Ray combo drive tomorrow (TV Tuner card is out for warranty). The DVD drive will be installed on the top and the HD/BD drive will be on the bottom. The middle inserts will have openings with filters to allow fresh air to the processor HSF:

Where I could use some advice
What I am looking to do is get an Arctic Cooling S1 for my 8800GT and install it without an additional fan. I thought that the fan in the middle bay could keep the card cooler, OR I could make a duct on the cooler to direct that air into the cooler. Any thoughts? My other options was to get a TT DuOrb.

Another idea I had was to use a duct from the CPU HSF to the rear fan and remove the fan off the heat sink. If I did this, would it be a good idea to remove the top fan? My NB heat pipe gets HOT and I would like to keep some air flowing across it. I fear that a lot of the flow may be reduced with the duct and the fan removed. I plan to redo the cabling as things got a little messy when I started messing with the computer again.

The case isn't loud, but it could stand to be a little more quiet.

laguz1

Post by laguz1 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:15 pm

does the S1 fit the 8800GT?

I personally think the Accelero S1 may be too thin for lateral air movements across it...since it was built for air to blow vertically through it (up-down air movement vs. left-right, as from that yate loon).

It could work, but at low fan speeds, which i'm guessing you have it set at...the air wouldn't pass through the S1 efficiently enough.

I'm thinking a thermalright HR-03 plus might be better suited for some lateral air movement across your 8800GT. It looks thicker imo:

vs. the S1 here:

I'll have to say the accelero looks a lot...taller and wider though...but i think that would only give its advantages in higher airflow.

If you make a duct, then i think the HR-03 plus might be a better choice in terms of cooling performance, but the accelero could work as well.

I would just try taking out that top rear exhaust fan first, then measure temps/sound to see if they are acceptable...since that top exhaust is sorta pointless for that push-pull setup, and it can't reach your NB under that massive ultra 120.

what are your NB temps though?

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:43 pm

laguz1 wrote:does the S1 fit the 8800GT?

I personally think the Accelero S1 may be too thin for lateral air movements across it...since it was built for air to blow vertically through it (up-down air movement vs. left-right, as from that yate loon).

It could work, but at low fan speeds, which i'm guessing you have it set at...the air wouldn't pass through the S1 efficiently enough.

I'm thinking a thermalright HR-03 plus might be better suited for some lateral air movement across your 8800GT. It looks thicker imo:

vs. the S1 here:

I'll have to say the accelero looks a lot...taller and wider though...but i think that would only give its advantages in higher airflow.

If you make a duct, then i think the HR-03 plus might be a better choice in terms of cooling performance, but the accelero could work as well.

I would just try taking out that top rear exhaust fan first, then measure temps/sound to see if they are acceptable...since that top exhaust is sorta pointless for that push-pull setup, and it can't reach your NB under that massive ultra 120.

what are your NB temps though?
Thank you for your reply! I was looking at the Thermalright, but it is just too massive in terms of taking up slots when a fan is attached. I ended up getting an S1 for $23 and I'll try it out with a duct. I think the duct will direct the air to flow through the fins yet still keep a low profile.

For the NB, it does have a heat pipe that is between both of the exhaust fans. At the end of the pipe, there is another heat sink to cool. I'm not sure what the temps are, but just touching the thing could damn near burn me.

If the S1 isn't showing desireable effects, I can try the Thermalright. I figured this would be a cheap testing heat sink.

Thanks again!