Can I leave the mofsat and VRM bare on my 8800gt /w S1 coolr

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AzNightmare

Can I leave the mofsat and VRM bare on my 8800gt /w S1 coolr

Post by AzNightmare » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:31 pm

Hi,

I'm new on SPCR. We'll i've been lurking around. This might be my first post or something. Can't remember if I had post before.

Anyway, I just bought the Zotac 8800gt AMP today. Pretty excited, I think it's one of the fastest 8800gt cards right now factory overclocked at 700mhz. I'm planning on getting the Accelero S1 cooler.

But I'm aware that this cooler doesn't offer any ramsinks for the Mofsat and VRM areas. Can I leave them bare??

I will have a undervolted 800rpm YateLoon blowing on the S1. As well, I have the P182 case, where I have two intake fans in the upper HD tray. Both YateLoons at 800rpm. (so 3 YateLoon's blowing on the videocard basically).

So how is this set up? I don't want to fry my card... Pretty expensive...

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:41 pm

well 1st things 1st WELCOME TO SPCR

and to answer your question simply, no you cant leave them bare or ull burn them up in like 10 min or so after any real use, i my self have also been looking to get that card to replace my 8800gts, so tell me how it goes

o 1 more thing , as u probably know u can never have top hardware for long Gainward just released a faster one i believe http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=40

AzNightmare

Post by AzNightmare » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:07 pm

aww, I don't have the fastest anymore. lol.
That's okay, as long as I can run most of the new games with this card now, I'm happy :D

So what I don't understand is how is the S1 officially proven to be compatible with the 8800gt? Because that card only offers 8 ramsinks, so therefore the mofsat and VRM would be bare if anyone where to use that heatsink. Isn't this false advertisement?

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:13 pm

There are a few people running GT's with the S1 without VRM/mosfet cooling. I have not heard of any problems.

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:36 pm

o, really, o my mistake then, i just thought that they would get to hot, well my self personally wouldnt run it with out any heat sinks on them, if anything id just stick on some normal ramshinks

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:44 pm

The memory on a graphics card doesn't really get that hot, not at defaults at least. Cooling is doable without any RAM heatsinks slapped on, but I sleep better at night knowing mine are on. Guess it's just for the paranoia. :lol: I wouldn't know about the S1 as I've only used Zalman VGA coolers.

I touched the RAM heatsinks after an hour of Battlefield 2142, noticeably warm but that's it.

Edit: typo fixed.
Last edited by Das_Saunamies on Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:46 pm

Arctic Cooling officially supports the 8800GT and a few people have received emails from Arctic Cooling saying that they did 'extensive testing' and that the 8800GT does not need any coolers on the MOSFET/VRM area.

I haven't heard of any reports of fried 8800GTs, but they haven't been out for that long...I wonder how this is going to affect the long-term stability of these cards?

hightower

Post by hightower » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:56 pm

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:10 pm

Lawrence Lee wrote:There are a few people running GT's with the S1 without VRM/mosfet cooling. I have not heard of any problems.
I am one of those. It works fine, even canceled my aftermarket sinks since it worked out so great.
If you mail Artic they will tell you that it works, provided you have some airflow over it.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:06 pm

Das_Saunamies wrote:I touched the RAM heatsinks after an hour of Battlefield 2142, noticeably warm but that's it.
GDDR3 memory does not run hot, and does not need RAMsinks. The warmth you felt was almost certainly from the PCB, which the VRM warms up quite nicely.

I'd suggest applying any available RAMsinks not to the DRAM, but to the VRM parts (especially the MOSFETs), as well as to the back of the board near the VRM.