I want to be different, i dont want an Antec!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Dodgexander

I want to be different, i dont want an Antec!

Post by Dodgexander » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:04 am

Hi Guys, before i upset you all, i would just like to mention that i own a Antec Solo and i am very happy with it.(this is for a different pc)

I recently sold my ANNOYING Thermaltake Mozart HTPC case as it was just driving me mad- poorly designed, loud, poor airflow and VERY annoying to take apart.
I also will never make the mistake of buying Thermaltake again, their false adverts claiming the fans we silent caused me to invest a furhter 50 EUR in a bunch of fans for a system that i have now sold out of disgust.

They also never responded to any of my emails.

Antec on the other hand were brilliant when my solo front casing broke, they sent out a replacement part in no time!

But wait for it... despite this..i do not want to buy another Antec Case for my main pc.

I want something different from everyone, preferably something cheap(rules out lian li) and it needs to be quiet AND easy to install(is this possible)?

I have searched round the forum and could only find one thread...everything else is Antec, Antec and Antec.

Here are my system specs and requirements.

E2160 Pentium C2D Based
Noctua Tower Cooler with Fan
Abit F190HD
2GB ADATA DDR 800
750GB and 250GB Drives in Scythe Enclosers.
(plan to purchase ATI 3850)

What i would like:

~ A big case, one which can take FULL atx(not extended) but mainly with lots of space and one that is easy to install and modify(i will be taking my case apart often. - Not a HTPC case.
The case needs to have atleast 4x 5.25 bays.

I like the tooless desings and removeable motherboard trays etc.

~ Silent, i really do not mind modding a decent case(especially if it is cheaper than pre compiled cases).I can replace fans, i have some padded foam etc.But i do want to get the case as silent as possible- any suggestions welcome.

~ Good airflow, i believe beforehand certain components were overheating in my case, i want a case that will keep everything cool.

~ Last of all, i would a like a case that is well built and has good looks.

Please let me know if this is possible without getting an Antec?!??

Ive been looking at the CM 690 and modding it, but im unsure if this can ever be silent.
Secondly, i looked at the Enermax case with the big 220mm fan, but not sure my noctua tower will fit with one of those fans - i am also unsure if the big fan is actually THAT silent.

If someone has an idea case, of course i wont mind paying extra.But at the moment im just looking out for the bargain purchase!

Hope you can help!

sanse

Re: I want to be different, i dont want an Antec!

Post by sanse » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:29 am

Dodgexander wrote:I want something different from everyone, preferably something cheap(rules out lian li) and it needs to be quiet AND easy to install(is this possible)?
why not build your own case? a wooden case with some metal parts from an old atx case. you could use a chimney like ventilation system like bluefront made for his last creation.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:54 am

As you already found out.....Antec cases seem to rule around here, so if you need info about any of them, it's easy to just ask. Their customer support is good, and the cases usually preform well, with some HD suspension included in the package.

But.... they're boring, since they're so common. You can do better. The main problem with many cases.....no HD suspension at all, which is important to eliminate noise. Poor intake airflow from the front of the case is another problem, but can be solved. Width of the case matters. Get too thin and a 120mm fan won't fit back there. Front fan mounting.....usually poor, but maybe unnecessary with proper airflow.

I share your opinion of Antec cases.....here's what I just bought for my current project, iStar S8 storm. These are available in several configurations. Apparently the guts are the same in them all.

Advantages....

Cheap, different good looking (to me).
The bezel pops off....no wires are attached to it.
The sides interchange, so you can have a solid side on the left if you want.
Steel chassis, but rather light.
Plenty of bays, with a removable HD cage.

Cons.....

No HD suspension. DIY.
The front bezel is plastic only, with aluminum trim. (looks ok though).
You'll need to supply your own PSU and fans.

I like it. The front I/O ports and buttons are easy to reach. Everything fits, and the case came packaged well w/no dents. Take your pick of cases....there are hundreds to chose from, but only a few looked good to me.

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:55 am

Well Antec is silent and "cheap" + good quality.
So why do you want to get something else?

If you can wait until the Antec 300 is launched you will get something new and you will be different for a while.

Check this SPCR article:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article796-page1.html

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:34 am

We're all different - no, not me :wink:

Yeah, I do understand the desire, to have something different.

Personally, most people I know, got laptops, shuttles, boring beige generic cases etc. So compared to that, my P180 is quite different 8)

Anyway, once in a while, I also dream of trying something different than the usual standard SPCR Antec recommendation.

That have lead me to the Coolermaster CM690 :

- buttom air intake
- 12 cm fans
- good looking (at my opinion)
- PSU with separate airflow, similar to P18x.

If I remember correctly, FelgerCarbon here on SPCR have good experiences with it.

It will, however, require some DIY, like HDD suspension and sealing some of the airintakes, because the 690 have a lot of them, which usually aint needed, and they are for sure good noise-escape-paths. It'll most likely, also require new fans, for optimum quietness.

So, if one is prepared for a some DIY, the CM 690 might be even more quiet than an Antec, since it's possible to avoid an opening in the front, from which noise can reach our sensitive ears 8)

Dodgexander

Post by Dodgexander » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:46 am

Firstly, thanks for all your replies.

I am so tempted to lash out for the P182SE but i just dont think its worth it.

What would/do you guys do to a normal case to make it silent?

For instance, the CM690..would it would be quiet with some padding and new fans? (ie dont mind about HDD suspension as i have scythe enclosers).

I just want a reasonably priced, easy to use QUIETISH case!

Dodgexander

Post by Dodgexander » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:14 pm

What do you guys think of this case? I can get it for about 80 EUR.

http://www.nzxt.com/products/hush/

It has padding and removeable drive bays.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:22 pm

Lian Li's have excellent quality but are pretty hard to make quiet... and they cost your arm and leg...

Pauli

Post by Pauli » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:27 pm

Am I the only one on these boards who doesn't give a crap what my computer looks like? Some of you guys really need to get a life...

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:57 pm

Im in the same boat with not wanting another P180x / solo / Antec build.

namely because ive already invested a considerable amount in my cases ($600 between 2 cases). And as ive discovered - applying the concepts outlined here on these forums, just about any case can be made quiet. silent? thats more a matter of perspective IMO. im just after quiet enough.

I have this case for my main PC http://www.supermicro.com/products/chas ... 2i-420.cfm
and this case for my fileserver: http://www.supermicro.com/products/chas ... P4-400.cfm

And I DO care what the case looks like - it sits in my computer room and I have to look at it a lot, but neither am I willing to pay large sums for spiffy looking lights, windowed cases or fancy paint jobs.

Dodgexander

Post by Dodgexander » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:42 am

Caring about how your pc looks depends on how visible your pc is.

When a pc is in the living room it becomes part of your furniture and your amp, tv etc.

This is why it is important that it ATLEAST looks decent.

LAThierry

Post by LAThierry » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:54 am

Ok, so I get it, you're a contrarian. You want to be different, for no other reason than to be different. You, sir, are a rebel. Didn't do enough of that during your teenage years?

The homework has been done. The question has been settled. You know what's good for you: suspended drives, silicon grommets, decent 120mm fans on low... In brief, one of the recommended Antec can become as quiet as you need with the least modifications. So why waste your precious time speaking like a heathen. You need the attention?

I mean, who do you think you are reinventing the wheel? Do you think you're Bluefront? We have one Bluefront already, and we appreciate him as our "brand diversity" consultant, do-it-yourself expert and political whack-a-mole from time to time, but we firmly believe he's a good person inside who'll see the light one day.

If you don't join our side, you'll be damned in hell, where your ears will be subjected to Thermaltake's idea of silent computing, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365.24219 days a year for eternity!

So for all that is good and holy, join us. Join the dark, I mean the Antec side. We want you to conform. You will join our Church... of Antec. Resistance is cliche.

;-)

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:28 am

Heh....sounds like you're telling him to be the computer building equivalent to my own Dick Gephardt. Every morning when he left home, he stuck his finger in the air......"oh, the wind is blowing this way, that's the way to go."

Pooh.... :lol:

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:51 am

Excellent post!
LAThierry wrote:Ok, so I get it, you're a contrarian. You want to be different, for no other reason than to be different. You, sir, are a rebel. Didn't do enough of that during your teenage years?

The homework has been done. The question has been settled. You know what's good for you: suspended drives, silicon grommets, decent 120mm fans on low... In brief, one of the recommended Antec can become as quiet as you need with the least modifications. So why waste your precious time speaking like a heathen. You need the attention?

I mean, who do you think you are reinventing the wheel? Do you think you're Bluefront? We have one Bluefront already, and we appreciate him as our "brand diversity" consultant, do-it-yourself expert and political whack-a-mole from time to time, but we firmly believe he's a good person inside who'll see the light one day.

If you don't join our side, you'll be damned in hell, where your ears will be subjected to Thermaltake's idea of silent computing, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365.24219 days a year for eternity!

So for all that is good and holy, join us. Join the dark, I mean the Antec side. We want you to conform. You will join our Church... of Antec. Resistance is cliche.

;-)
:lol:

Dodgexander

Post by Dodgexander » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:23 am

So what if a prefer to keep my green lightsabre?

(funny post btw)

But realisticly, do i HAVE to get an Antec on the basis that they beat the opposition to a pulp?

walle

Post by walle » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:50 am

LAThierry wrote:Ok, so I get it, you're a contrarian. You want to be different, for no other reason than to be different. You, sir, are a rebel. Didn't do enough of that during your teenage years?

;-)
Brilliant, just brilliant :lol:

LAThierry

Post by LAThierry » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:57 am

Dodgexander wrote:But realisticly, do i HAVE to get an Antec on the basis that they beat the opposition to a pulp?
No, you don't HAVE to.

Just like you don't HAVE to buy a Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki or Ducati to have a sport bike. What you CAN do is buy a 50cc moped instead and TRY to make it as good as the aforementioned sport bikes. My guess is that, after spending a lot of time and money on modifications, you'll be disappointed with the final result's look, performance, safety and durability.

You're welcome to view this as a challenge, decide that the only way to redeem your lost honor is to prove me wrong by handicapping yourself. And that is why you'll clench your fist and say "Darn that Thierry, I'll show him! I'll do it! I'll buy a moped and make it better, faster than a Hayabusa!"

Until then the ball's in your camp, mister.

p.s.: No moped was harmed during the making of this post.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:17 pm

Gawd....didn't know these Antec fan-boys could get so mean. Dodgexander....don't let them get to you. Practically every one of them mods his P180. The airflow from the front bezel area is poor.....more mods. The front door and the case sides warp.... RMA or order a new part. I could go on.....

Unlike the sport motorcycle thing, this computer case is only a sort-of box, holding a bunch of parts. The box is easy to mod....everybody does it. Some just like to say "my box is better than your box", and refuse to admit the time it took to make it better. :lol:

walle

Post by walle » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:03 pm

This is not the time for you to be led astray brother. :shock:

Remember, If in doubt, repeat what you once were taught: The Solo is the crème de la crème, the jewel, the truth and the light, I shall the Solo honour and for the Solo… I shall fight. :wink:

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:33 pm

good read LAThierry 8)

Like bluefront said -- its a box to hold the parts of your PC.

IMO the internals count much more than whatever cover you choose to put on them. me personally, the antec P18x stuff wont fit the motherboards I use, so its a moot point.

Arvo

Post by Arvo » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:45 pm

I've assisted in building not very noisy PCs, based on next cases (no links, sorry):

NEXUS BREEZE
NEXUS CATERPILLAR
COMPUCASE MIDI SERVER CASE 6920BS-UG
COOLERMASTER CAVALIER 3 CAV-T03

All these cases need hard drive suspending (esp Nexus ones) and fan control.
Compucase and Coolermaster ones need additional side panel dampening.
Caterpillar and Compucase allow only one side panel to take off, thereby you need to be more creative while applying foam pads or similar :)
Compucase is most comfortable to assemble, there's even free air between ATX sized PSU and motherboard.
Nexus cases have weird airflow paths.
Nexus Breeze includes PSU, what I can not recommend. I've the Breeze under my desk, I must be know :) I won't buy another one though.

All these cases can be made quiet with less or more DIY work. Well, this is true for almost all normal sized PC cases.

Dodgexander

Post by Dodgexander » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:30 am

Thanks Guys, I think its funny that some people support there case brands like a football team(as such).

I already noted that i have an Antec case (the Man UTD of cases)and i purchased it for a good reason, my question also does not relate to why i dont want Antec as i have already specified that.

Anyways,

Arvo, thanks for the great response!

I looked at these case and they all look reasonable nice(and cheap).

Supposing i wanted to spend EUR 150.

Would the Coolermaster COSMOS 1000 be just as nice as the cavalier?It just looks so easy to use and also has padding and options for several 120mm fans.

HDD Suspention isnt something that i am worried about as i have both my HDD's in a Scythe silent enclosure:)

Anyone see anything wrong wit the COSMOS 1000?

http://www.coolermaster.com/products/pr ... 36&id=2590

walle

Post by walle » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:59 am

Dodgexander wrote:Anyone see anything wrong wit the COSMOS 1000?
Well, I would be somewhat concerned about the hard drives getting ample cooling, apart from that, and the chassis being made out of aluminium, I see no major flaws really. I actually like parts of the internal design, such as the way the PSU gets cooled, I should point out though that I’ve never used or having set up a system in this premium puppy, so there might very well be more cons as well as pros with this one…

neon joe

Post by neon joe » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:12 am

How about this one?

Interesting layout - note the position for the power supply. The case would need to be modded for power supplies with 120mm fans (to have a bottom intake).

I've been looking at this case for a while, wondering if I could get away with running fanless (or one fan on the cpu) with this case... probably would have to open up the top to get temps low enough, though.

Arvo

Post by Arvo » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:32 am

You don't need bottom intake - you just have to install PSU bottom up. (Same for Nexus Caterpillar, BTW.) This way it even cools front side devices (HDDs).

neon joe

Post by neon joe » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:44 am

Arvo wrote:You don't need bottom intake - you just have to install PSU bottom up. (Same for Nexus Caterpillar, BTW.) This way it even cools front side devices (HDDs).
I would worry that pulling air in from above the psu would 'short-circuit' the airflow in other parts of the case.
Also, there's not much room between the bottom hd cage and the top of the psu.

A vent under the psu wouldn't be very difficult to add, and would give the psu it's own intake and exhaust. You'd need to give the case taller feet, though :D

walle

Post by walle » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:38 pm

(Apologizing fort hijacking your thread Dodgexander, but its not like anyone of us ever does that nor derail the threads or anything now :shock:)

Speaking of chassis…

I ordered one of these NXT for my missus build after she had picked it out; based on its looks I might add. Well, I think this one could turn out just fine after a few a "minor" modifications, which are required IMO.

1. Sound insulate the front around the stock 120mm fan area.

2. Modifying the HDD cage as to accommodate one suspended Scythe Quiet drive.

3. Taking up a bottom vent adding a 120mm fan for cooling and a removable dust filter.

I think that should do the trick, some work involved of course, but she liked this one and if she wants it quiet these modifications are needed.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:20 pm

;-)
I admit, that I smiled and laughed.

But you guys tempt me, for selling my Antec and join Dodgexander and Bluefront !

And yes, my P180 is modded :lol:

Dodgexander, are you aware of the Arctic Cooling Silentiums?

The T2 looks pretty cool, and the previous version got a quite good review here on SPCR. It includes a HDD muffler, which is suspended and a front bezel, which is closed = no noise escape paths. Beat that Antec !

It also includes a nice PSU. Price is reasonably.

But if you insists on a two disk setup, the Silentium probably will be a challenge. But then again, you can get pretty large and quiet disks these days, so maybe one disk will do...

www.arctic-cooling.com

walle

Post by walle » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:57 pm

Great tip Thomas,

I had totally forgotten about these ones myself, to many products to keep track on. Well, I like the improvements; better power supply, different placement of the (suspended?) HDD cage. In the previous versions the hard drive was enclosed in a 5mm suspended aluminium “boxâ€

Dodgexander

Post by Dodgexander » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:19 am

Hey guys.

i STILL havent been brave enough to lash out for a case..

So far my favourite has to be this case from Sharkoon:

http://www.sharkoon.com/html/produkte/p ... ex_en.html

There is also a value range, which has a 250mm fan installed on the side and an extra 120mm.

I think im going to get this case- the drawback being it will need to be imported from a German retailer(and they expect stock in two weeks)

So if anyone can change my mind let me know!

In regards to Artic Cooling, i like the cases, however they have a psu installed and i dont need that(i already have a corsair hw620).

So if i cant be bothered to wait, its either going to be Antec, Nexus or Hush.. has anyone also had any experience in Tagan's aPlus cases?Especially the one with the speed adjustable 250mm fan?