New (hopefully) quiet build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jeff Cutsinger

New (hopefully) quiet build

Post by Jeff Cutsinger » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:34 am

This is my first new build since 1999, so I'm pretty excited, since it should be a leap up in terms of, well, everything.

Goals: I'm going to use this as a development workstation and gaming machine. I'll do my development on a 64-bit linux and gaming on 32-bit XP. I want it to be quiet, but it doesn't have to be completely inaudible.

Parts:
  • Case: none. I'm going to reuse my existing case. I might budget some tin snips :wink:
  • Power Supply: Seasonic SS300ES. Since my case is from 1999, I'll need a new power supply. This one should get the job done for a reasonable price.
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P.
  • Processor: C2D E8x00. I originally planned on an 8200, but I might get an 8400 since they're the only ones in stock right now. I wants me some 45nm action.
  • Memory: 4 gigs of whatever I can find for cheap.
  • OS Disk: WD1600BEVS (160 gig, 2.5" HDD) + an eSATA enclosure. Any recommendations? I'm planning on a Vantec NST260SU, but that's just because it looks decent and cheap.
  • Storage Disks: 2x WD7500AACS + an Antec MX-1. I'm using one for backup.
  • Video Card: Radeon HD 3870 + An Accelero S1
  • Sound Card: Creative X-Fi xtremegamer
OK, now for the question: What CPU heatsink? My case measures about 19cm wide in total. The distance from the backing where the motherboard is mounted is about 18cm. Would a Thermalright Ultra 120 fit in there, do you think? Looks like a Solo is 20cm wide, and they fit in there. If not, I'll get an Ultra/Ultima 90, I think, or maybe an HR-01+. Any suggestions? I'm not buying a Scythe-- while the mounting problem doesn't bother me terribly, their lack of response to the problem does.

Any other feedback is welcome, as well.[/list]

yaler

Post by yaler » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:20 am

Maybe think about getting a faster OS/programs disk. I mean, if you're getting an enclosure regardless then why not...

You're probably going to be spinning your wheels a lot more than you'd like with that 8*00.

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:15 am

There are no linux drivers for the creative x-fi and linux.
There are only some creative closed source beta drivers, built in sept 07, which only 50% of the people can get working after a lot of hassle.
Just informing you ;)

Jeff Cutsinger

Post by Jeff Cutsinger » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:36 am

sjoukew wrote:There are no linux drivers for the creative x-fi and linux.
There are only some creative closed source beta drivers, built in sept 07, which only 50% of the people can get working after a lot of hassle.
Just informing you ;)
Thanks. I admit I am quite troubled by this-- I'm not a huge fan of creative, and I'm really only planning on getting the card for the 3d acceleration in games. It looks like I could use the integrated audio from the motherboard in linux, though I wasn't able to find a definitive "Yes, this works in linux". More to the point, however, is that I'm not sure I want to support a company that won't release its hardware specs to support development of an open driver. I'll have to think about it.

Jeff Cutsinger

Post by Jeff Cutsinger » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:37 am

yaler wrote:Maybe think about getting a faster OS/programs disk. I mean, if you're getting an enclosure regardless then why not...

You're probably going to be spinning your wheels a lot more than you'd like with that 8*00.
The idea behind getting a 2.5" was so that I could bring it to work and use it to carry files back and forth with just a usb cable to power the drive. I have most definitely considered getting something a little beefier, though.

Ikshaar

Post by Ikshaar » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:01 pm

You can also look into the Audigy2NX USB... I like it. It frees some space in my case and usually cheap (~$40-50).

I get full surround sound in games under XP with EAX and it works under Linux (stereo only by default and emulated surround if setup correctly).

Also used to have a PCI Audigy2. Works also under linux and XP if you can still find one.

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:00 pm

You should really consider getting a new case! I don't see how you can cool those components quietly in a case from 1999, unless you plan on cutting holes for 120mm fans yourself. You will also lose out on those handy phones/mic/usb/firewire front connectors.

Can you post a pic of your case or tell us the brand/model?

Jeff Cutsinger

Post by Jeff Cutsinger » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:08 am

Well, the TRUE did fit. Just barely! If someone had a case 18cm wide, I would tell them that it probably won't fit. But in case anyone's curious, it turns out that they've changed the way PSUs mount since 1999. My old PSU is exactly the same size, but the screws go in different places. Additionally, the place where plug goes in is made of plastic that extrudes about half a cm, and part of it bumps into the back of the case (so it looks like new cases have bigger holes in the back for the PSU).

I don't have a drill, and I'm not too keen on getting one, really (I can't imagine what else I'd use it for). I was planning on getting tin snips and opening up the back of the case (the front is open enough for me). Now, I'm not sure. I might just get a new case. If I keep my old one, I can get the tin snips and borrow a drill and try to make it work. That way I'll save money and get a pair of tin snips. I think the benefits of getting a new case are pretty obvious, but I dunno, it'd be kind of boring to just buy a new case.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Jeff Cutsinger

Post by Jeff Cutsinger » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:09 am

Shaman wrote:You should really consider getting a new case! I don't see how you can cool those components quietly in a case from 1999, unless you plan on cutting holes for 120mm fans yourself. You will also lose out on those handy phones/mic/usb/firewire front connectors.

Can you post a pic of your case or tell us the brand/model?
Pics coming sometime.

K9-Cop

Post by K9-Cop » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:26 am

In terms of external harddrive enclosures, I got a CoolerMaster XCraft RX-3SB. It works fine but seemed a little loud with the active cooling. Then again, I've never owned an enclosure so I don't really know what to expect.

Installation, however, was a PAIN IN THE A**. The lid is supposed to slide on and off, but slide it did NOT. I think this was caused by a very poor quality mechanism that failed to unlock properly when I depressed the button. Result? A 45 minute struggle of endurance to get the drive installed.

Hopefully I won't need to remove it any time soon, lol.