Feedback on parts for a new quiet PC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

robinhat

Feedback on parts for a new quiet PC

Post by robinhat » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:14 am

Hello SPCR folks,

I am new to the forum but have read most of the recommended section, some of the product reviews and a lot of the sticky posts.

I am about to build a new PC and I would like to make it as quiet as I can.

I am going to use the PC for everyday work: mail, web, office applications plus watching movies. I am also going to do video encoding (primarily dvd to divx or h.264) which will put the CPU under a lot of stress for prolonged periods.

System speed is not very important to me. Neither is graphics - I do not game at all. I do not overclock. I imagine that an onboard graphics controller will be fine - it will produce less heat than a dedicated graphics card and it will hopefully be enough for my video viewing.

I am going to need WiFi and maybe also Bluetooth. I will also fit in a DVD-burner and connect an external HDD.

Based on the above and what I have read on SPCR I have thought about the following components:

Case: Antec P182
PSU: Not quite sure. A fanless PSU would be nice, but I don´t know if it is realistic. Otherwise maybe a Corsair VX450W, a Seasonic S12-330 or a Seasonic S12-430. Hopefully my system will not draw a lot of power (unless maybe when I encode video).
CPU: An Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz or something similar. Low power consumption / heat dissipation is key. Thought about the E4400 (Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz). Or should I go for a mobile version of the Core 2 Duo?
Motherboard: Not quite sure. Depends on CPU choice. Overclocking capabilities irrelevant. Onboard graphics and audio would be fine (and also WiFi and Bluetooth if possible, but not important).
HDD: Have thought about the Western Digital Caviar Green Power 500 GB. I have mounted my current HDD in brackets with rubber things in a 5,25" drive bay, and I plan to transfer this mounting solution to the new computer (with the new HDD).
Fans: I don´t know if I need new "custom" fans for the case and PSU, or if the original fans are ok. Would like to run with as few fans as possible.
Heatsink for CPU: Thought about the Scythe Ninja. Would like to run it fanless if possible.
Heatsinks for motherboard: is it necessary to cool components on mobo with heatsinks (would like to avoid small aggressive fans)?
DVD-burner: doesn´t seem important which one I choose. Will only be used from time to time.

If some of you have any comments or suggestions to these thoughts, I would be very happy to hear them. I am particularly interested in input about CPU, motherboard and PSU.

Thanks in advance,

Lars

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:23 am

For CPU I'd go new Wolfendale, E8200, E8400 or E8500. They're not that much more expensive and consume less power. Corsair VX 450W is solid choice.

For HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green Power WD7500AACS or Samsung T-166 HD501LJ would be your best choices.

For Ninja get Bolt-thru kit.

Stickem

Post by Stickem » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:58 am

I understand that the new 45 nm Intels run very efficiently and have very
low idle wattages, so they should be a good choice.

The motherboard recommendation I will leave to the Intel folk.

You may want to have a look at the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 HSF series.
There was a review of them at AnandTech last week.
PLUS they provides some air flow to the passive components.

I don't see the benefit of "the power supply on the bottom" business, but th e P182 is popular around here, and the top-rear fan should do the job.
That case may also require you to buy an extension cable to get power from the PSU to the MB connector. Plan ahead.

I have become addicted to the modular Corsair HX520 PSUs, but they
are overkill for a HTPC.

robinhat

Post by robinhat » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:48 am

Hi thejamppa and Stickem. Thank you both for your quick comments.
thejamppa wrote:For CPU I'd go new Wolfendale, E8200, E8400 or E8500. They're not that much more expensive and consume less power. Corsair VX 450W is solid choice.

For HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green Power WD7500AACS or Samsung T-166 HD501LJ would be your best choices.

For Ninja get Bolt-thru kit.
Sounds nice with those new Intel CPU's. I've decided to go for the E8200 - that should be plenty for my needs. I also think I will stick with Corsair VX450 PSU and the WD Caviar GP HDD.

Now I just need a hint about a good motherboard - I think it is difficult to get an overview. Onboard graphics would be nice as I said earlier. And decent passive cooling of chipsets is also important. Any ideas, anybody? :)

BTW, why is it necessary with the Bolt-Thru kit for the Scythe Ninja? Won't it fit otherwise?

Oh, and I totally forgot about RAM. I need 2 GB. People in here seem to like Corsair. Is that the thing to get, or are there better choices?

Best regards,
Lars

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:33 pm

I like Corsair, but Mushkin, Kingston Value, G.Skill are in my experience very good and solid memories. I got 2gb kingston Value in main system, 2gb Mushkin in game rig and 1 gb Corsair xms in 3rd system.

Strid

Post by Strid » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:47 pm

Hey fellow dane!

If you're keen on the Antec P182 get it. It does look good. But any case is a quiet case if you put the right components in it. I consider it to be a little price compare to other cases.

PSU: Ideally, I would (personally) get the SilverStone ST50EF+ and perform a fanswap. It boasts an impressive 87% efficiency. The Cosair PSUs are supposed to be quality. My own PSU is a (Danish built, woot!) NorthQ with 140 mm bottom fan, which I fanswapped for a low RPM Yate Loon. I don't think that an active cooled PSU can get more quiet than this. If you're keen on modular PSUs, I guess Cosair HX52, though it is probably overkill for a HTPC. Just throwing in ideas here. The VX450 looks great too. Anyway, just get an efficient PSU with only one big fan. And get a lot more watts than you need so the fan won't ever need to run at full speed.

CPU: Any Wolfdale. Hands down. Low power, fast, cheap.

Motherboard: If you want to have onboard graphics, get one with G33 or G35 chipset. My personal choice would be Gigabyte GA-G33-DS3R or ASUS P5E-V HDMI with the latter being my favourite.
Keep in mind that a quality PCIe card Like an ASUS Silent 8600GT is only roughly 30 watts extra and you can get a cheaper motherboard and is so much faster.

http://www.edbpriser.dk/Products/Listpr ... ?ID=380740
http://www.edbpriser.dk/Products/Listpr ... ?ID=417537

If you go with PCIe graphics, I suggest one of the three:

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3, new energy efficient m/b from gigabyte the EP35 is their new line and the DS3 model is the modest one without all the extras like raid and such.

ABit IP35-E or IP35 Pro. Great boards great reputation IP35-E is like 650 kr.

ASUS P5K Pro great motherboard with super quality components. Also without all the extra features, but still quality components.

HDD: WD Green Power, good ide.

Fans: You need aftermarket fans, no doubt in my mind. Get the low RPM version of a respected brand and you'll be very happy! Fan swap is the best upgrade I've ever done on my computers ever! Such a difference between stock fans and low RPM quality ones.

HSF: I couldn't be happier with my Ninja, though mounting could be a little better, but again, how often are you going to take that thing off again? Arctic Silver 5 lowered my CPU temp by a couple of degrees compared to some cheap stuff I used to put on.

You won't need extra cooling for the chipset. As for RAM, get any PC2-6400 that runs at 1.8-1.9V and is CL5. These run fairly cool.

EDIT: Did a quick search. I think this one is hard to beat, according to my standards!
http://www.edbpriser.dk/Products/Listpr ... ?ID=206436

robinhat

Post by robinhat » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:48 pm

Strid wrote:Motherboard: If you want to have onboard graphics, get one with G33 or G35 chipset. My personal choice would be Gigabyte GA-G33-DS3R or ASUS P5E-V HDMI with the latter being my favourite.
Keep in mind that a quality PCIe card Like an ASUS Silent 8600GT is only roughly 30 watts extra and you can get a cheaper motherboard and is so much faster.

http://www.edbpriser.dk/Products/Listpr ... ?ID=380740
http://www.edbpriser.dk/Products/Listpr ... ?ID=417537

If you go with PCIe graphics, I suggest one of the three:

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3, new energy efficient m/b from gigabyte the EP35 is their new line and the DS3 model is the modest one without all the extras like raid and such.

ABit IP35-E or IP35 Pro. Great boards great reputation IP35-E is like 650 kr.

ASUS P5K Pro great motherboard with super quality components. Also without all the extra features, but still quality components.
Thanks for all the good info, Strid. Still, I find the motherboard issue difficult. You say that "an ASUS Silent 8600GT is only roughly 30 watts extra" - I think that is a lot! The review of this card isn't too good either. And the price of the card is around 125 euro whereas the ASUS P5E-V HDMI motherboard with integrated graphics is only 40 euro more expensive than the ASUS P5K Pro motherboard without integrated graphics.

Is it possible to buy "simpler" graphic adapters (still passive cooling) than the 8600GT for less money? If not, it seems to me that the onboard graphics solution is best suited for me. Remember, no gaming, only playing MPEG4/H.264-videos on my small 15" monitor.

BTW, does anybody know anything about a supposedly upcoming Gigabyte motherboard with the G35 chipset?

Best regards,
Lars

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:30 pm

Maybe you should put some money into upgrading that 15" monitor?-) You can get even 24" panels with decent price these days, that would boost your productivity.

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:50 pm

radeon hd3450 = exactly what you want. complete offloading of HD content to GPU, and support for big monitors (i think 2650x1600)

edit: and it's available for 50 at newegg.

robinhat

Post by robinhat » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:43 am

Fayd wrote:radeon hd3450 = exactly what you want. complete offloading of HD content to GPU, and support for big monitors (i think 2650x1600)
Seems like something for me. But what about an Asus HD 2400 Pro instead? From what I have read in here it uses little power and I assume it will still be plenty powerful for my needs (I suppose it beats the performance of the G35 chipset, anyway?)? The two cards cost about the same here in Denmark (the ASUS HD 2400, 256 MB is a little cheaper than a Sapphire RADEON HD 3450, 512 MB)

charonme

power draw of hd3450

Post by charonme » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:59 am

robinhat wrote:
Fayd wrote:radeon hd3450 = exactly what you want...
...what about an Asus HD 2400 Pro instead? ... it uses little power...
I'm especially interested in the exact power draw of both cards. And what is the performance difference between them?