Creating HTPC/NAS/Media Server - should I wait to build?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tbessie

Creating HTPC/NAS/Media Server - should I wait to build?

Post by tbessie » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:16 pm

Hi all!

I want to put together an HTPC/NAS/Media Server (running SlimServer for my Squeezebox, and possibly other devices around the house), and am looking for the first time for this. I'm thinking of using something along these lines (posted in my next post) with probably one of the Jetway J7F5 boards (either w/fan or fanless).

I'd *like* something that will be able to handle 1080p decoding/streaming in the future, and from what I've read, the VIA chipsets can't really keep up. The thing is, I want to use a 3.5" hard drive in it, and for it to be as quiet and cool as possible. I see there are some Core Duo models out there, but they all run much hotter, are more power-hungry, and larger than I really would like (I'd like something around 12"x12"x3" if possible).

I've read about VIA's upcoming Isaiha CPU, and am wondering if I should wait for that, just get the above configuration (about $500), or if someone can point me at the form-factor and temperature range I'm looking at but with more oomph to it for decoding and other tasks.

I hope that's not too general -- any suggestions out there?

- Tim

tbessie

Here's the link for the above post

Post by tbessie » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:16 pm

Here's the link for the system I was thinking of...

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/system2699

- Tim

Spare Tire

Post by Spare Tire » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:49 am

I'm in the exact same dilema as you mate, and i'm just gonna let one of my other computer do the job in the mean time. There are other mitx intel or amd boards out there but ofthen the heatsink is proprietary and it's just a bit too much to be run passive.

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:52 am

i'd personally go with the asus intel matx board that has hdmi and an e8200 for proc. it's gonna be relatively low power, and relatively high performance.

scdr

Post by scdr » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:22 pm

Unfortunately, the link you gave just gives their general configuration/order form (doesn't indicate which mainboard/etc. you were considering).
(Probably have to copy and paste it into a message, or something.)

One thought that comes to mind.
Mac Mini
Idle for the older (CoreDuo) was like 20w
Somebody posted that at load (Folding) newer (Core2Duo) was using about 35w (See PPDPW discussion in folding forum on SPCR)
Fits your size constraints.

Don't know if it will do 1080p, and no idea about expansion, drivers/etc.
They do appear popular in car PC applications (size, low power)

Disclaimer - Not a Mac addict myself, haven't used one, don't know how loud/hot they get, just impressed by the power efficiency I have read about.

tbessie

Yes, but...

Post by tbessie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:41 pm

scdr wrote:Unfortunately, the link you gave just gives their general configuration/order form (doesn't indicate which mainboard/etc. you were considering).

Mac Mini
I'd thought of that, but they only take 2.5" hard drives, and I want everything contained in a single box, unfortunately.

- Tim

plympton

Re: Yes, but...

Post by plympton » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:32 pm

tbessie wrote:
scdr wrote:Unfortunately, the link you gave just gives their general configuration/order form (doesn't indicate which mainboard/etc. you were considering).

Mac Mini
I'd thought of that, but they only take 2.5" hard drives, and I want everything contained in a single box, unfortunately.

- Tim
Just get a Newer Tech base for it - firewire converter for a 3.5" HD that stacks below it. Not too expensive. The 2.5" drive makes a great silent boot drive, too. That's the combo I have in my HTPC - 2.5" boot, 3.5" storage.

A 1 TB GP drive would rock, too.

-Dan

scdr

Re: Yes, but...

Post by scdr » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:36 pm

tbessie wrote:
scdr wrote: One thought that comes to mind.
Mac Mini

- Tim
:oops: Oops sorry, didn't realize that. (Like I said, I am not really up on Macs.)

tbessie

Thanks!

Post by tbessie » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:07 pm

Fayd wrote:i'd personally go with the asus intel matx board that has hdmi and an e8200 for proc. it's gonna be relatively low power, and relatively high performance.
This is what I've decided to eventually do -- slightly more future-proof, will be able to do everything I want it to pretty much, although it doesn't look like it'll be able to handle HD decoding very well without a separate graphics board.

So it's more than I need, but less than I might want in a year. But it'll do -- thanks for the recommendation!

- Tim