Keyboard for HTPC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gadgetzilla

Keyboard for HTPC

Post by gadgetzilla » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:00 pm

Just wondering what keyboard everyone is using with their HTPC ???

The ideal keyboard (wireless, of course) would let you do most everything while you were sitting on the couch. I can't see using a separate mouse (LOL).

In researching, the logitech DiNovo Edge seems an ideal one.

-Gadgetzilla

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:00 pm

I'm using a Logitech DiNovo Edge for my main HTPC and I really like it. The only downside from me is I'm too scared to scratch it... It's a pretty nice piece.

For the bedroom HTPC, I use a Microsoft IR MCE keyboard since I found it for only $8 last month. I REALLY wanted to have the mouse to be apart of the keyboard, but didn't want to fork out the money for second Edge.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:19 am

I've a bluetooth iFrog from www.frogpad.com

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:37 am

I use a first generation diNovo, waiting for the perfect device: diNovo Mini!

Big Pimp Daddy

Post by Big Pimp Daddy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:39 am

I don't use a keyboard for my HTPC, never need to type anything, just play/pause, up/down/left/right/enter etc to chose files to play. Hence I just use my mobile phone (sony ericsson k800i) over bluetooth. I get 15 programmable buttons, mouse pointer and left/right click, what more could you need for an HTPC?

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:42 am

MS Wireless Entertainment Desktop 8000. Granted, it's a tad pricey, but the mouse on the keyboard works good. The bluetooth can be a bit dodgey sometimes.

I have to give props to MS support though. The bluetooth adapter went bad and I had to call them for support last week. I got a whole new set sent to me by them and it arrived in 3 days.

oncoming

Post by oncoming » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:11 am

Wow that diNovo mini looks very cool. I would have to definitely try one out before buying for an HTPC app though. Glad to see it doesn't include the useless F1-F12 keys.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:18 am

I use an Adesso notebook-style wireless for mine. (I forget the exact model, I'm not at home at the moment, but Newegg carries it if you wanted to go hunting) It's basically a 12" laptop keyboard and trackpad, just without the screen. All the usual buttons, in the usual (for laptops) places. I actually like its trackpad better than the DiNovo mouse thing, plus it's smaller, and like 1/3rd the price.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:38 am

I use a Gyration mouse/keyboard combo.

It's nice, but the range isn't the best (interference makes placing the receiver tricky). If I had to do it again now, I'd go with the diNovo edge or mini.

gadgetzilla

Post by gadgetzilla » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:41 pm

Excellent feedback - Thank you !!

With the listed choices, it will be hard to make a decision. I was originally leaning towards the sleek Logitech DiNovo Edge but the 'mini' gives something else to think about.

For a lot of folks, the ability to play movies from their HTPC and using the remote to control DVD's or play MP3s could be enough. For me, I'd like the ability to surf the net as well and do basic/general PC usage. Afterall, it IS a full fledge PC ;-). In order to do that, a full keyboard will be necessary (in my case).

For the full size keyboards, the Microsoft and Logitech's DiNovo Edge seem to lead the way, for looks, and the sleekness. Between the two, the Edge wins for me.

From a practical standpoint, the ADESSO keyboard with the built in touchpad, and as quoted to be 1/3 the size of a regular keyboard - it sounds appealing. I'll have to give that a very serious consideration. I certainly like the way it looks but wondering if being on the small side, could it be 'too' small and unable to be used while keeping in it in your lap ??

Last but not least, the bluethooth connectivity using the Sony cellphone, now that gets the cake for an innovative solution.

LBadvance

Post by LBadvance » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:51 pm

dinovo edge here too.

Very nice keyboard.

maarten77

Post by maarten77 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:01 am

apart from this one:
http://www.adesso.com/products_detail.asp?productid=281

you may also want to check these out:
http://countfilipp.blogspot.com/2008/01/keyboard.html
http://countfilipp.blogspot.com/2007/07/keyboard.html

I have the last one. It is very cheap, but the joystick is somewhat annoying if you use it a lot.

theycallmebruce

Post by theycallmebruce » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:56 am

wiimote!

gadgetzilla

Post by gadgetzilla » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:50 pm

Folks - I found the DiNovo Edge keyboard at the absolute lowest price and bought it.

regular price $167 - $28 mwave instant discount = $139, while supplies last!

THEN...on top of that, there the $45 Mail-In Manufacturer Rebate Available from 02/01/08 till 03/27/08)

The final price is unbeatable on the web, anywhere ..

www.mwave.com - check it out.

Gadgetzilla :shock: