New HTPC Build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Rate this HTPC Config

Awesome!
50%
OK
No votes
Needs work
50%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 2

HTPCnz

New HTPC Build

Post by HTPCnz » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:22 am

This is my potential HTPC build, what do you guys think? any suggestions?

- Case: Silverstone SST-LC16S-MR
- Motherboard: abit IP35 Pro
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66 GHz
- CPU Heatsink: Scythe Ninja Mini
- TV Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T-500 (dual DVB-T tuner)
- Video Card: WinFast PX8500 GT TDH HDMI (Low Profile)
- Hard drive: 2 x Western Digital Caviar GP WD7500AACS, 750GB, 5400rpm, 16384kb cache, sata-2
- RAM: 2 x Corsair XMS2, TWIN2X2048-6400, 2x1GB, DDR2-800, PC2-6400, CL5, DIMM (4GB total)
- PSU: Corsair 520HX, 520W ATX (SLI Ready, Modular)
- Fans: 2 x Nexus 80mm Real Silent Case Fan & 2 x Nexus 92mm Real Silent Case Fan
- DVD drive: Sony DRU840A, DVD 16R/18W/8RW, CD 48R/48W/32RW, Internal, IDE, Silver, Nero Express
- Keyboard: Microsoft Media Centre Edition Keyboard (wireless, black, 3 pack)

What you good people think?
Last edited by HTPCnz on Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HTPCnz

Post by HTPCnz » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:23 am

I have revised this setup many times, but am always refining, as I dont plan to start my purchases until next month

nitram_tpr

Post by nitram_tpr » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:13 am

Why pick a low profile gfx card? Doesn't the LC16 accept full height cards?
It certainly looks like it will accept a full height card.
It seems strange to me that you are fitting a powerhouse of a CPU and are limiting the graphics potential. Is it because the card has a HDMi port?
Gainward do a 9600GT with HDMI output:
http://www.gainward.net/product/product ... cts_id=153

Delta_42
-- Vendor --

Post by Delta_42 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:25 am

I'd question the Quad Core CPU given the rest of the spec. My HTPC runs fine upscaling DivX with a T7200 mobile C2D

What do you plan on doing with it? HTPC covers a wide range of things. Mine is just used for DVD and DivX playback. Some people want to stream stuff to several different devices and record a couple of TV channels all at the same time.

The 8500 GT is plenty just for media playback, unless you plan on gaming the 9600 isn't necessary.

Also, do you really need a three-pack of keyboards? ;-)

Edited again...

For a HTPC I wouldn't bother with 4Gb Ram, 2Gb will be plenty and 64bit windows on a HTPC can be a nightmare, all sorts of drivers and codecs don't have decent 64bit versions.

HTPCnz

Post by HTPCnz » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:38 pm

nitram_tpr wrote:Why pick a low profile gfx card? Doesn't the LC16 accept full height cards?
It certainly looks like it will accept a full height card.
It seems strange to me that you are fitting a powerhouse of a CPU and are limiting the graphics potential. Is it because the card has a HDMi port?
Gainward do a 9600GT with HDMI output:
http://www.gainward.net/product/product ... cts_id=153
It does accept full height cards, but not full length...
This is a restriction of the Silverstone LC16M case, having the optical drive in the middle restricts the length of graphics cards that can be fitted.

The card I choose does not need to be a powerhouse, as this system is not going to be used for gaming...
This card met a couple of requirements though:
-It fits into the Silverstone LC16M case
-It uses passive cooling via the heatsink
-It has HDMI connectivity with full 8ch HD sound

I choose this card based on those requirements.

HTPCnz

Post by HTPCnz » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:56 pm

Delta_42 wrote:I'd question the Quad Core CPU given the rest of the spec. My HTPC runs fine upscaling DivX with a T7200 mobile C2D
I am just preparing for the future, future-proofing as much as I can.
Delta_42 wrote:What do you plan on doing with it? HTPC covers a wide range of things. Mine is just used for DVD and DivX playback. Some people want to stream stuff to several different devices and record a couple of TV channels all at the same time.
The main activities of this machine will be:
-Watch movies in SD & HD
-Record SD & HD freeview Tv
-Possibly record several channels at the same time
-Watch and record Tv at the same time
-Rip DVD's
-Play music
-Internet
-IM & email

There may be other activities, but they are the main ones.
Delta_42 wrote:The 8500 GT is plenty just for media playback, unless you plan on gaming the 9600 isn't necessary.
I agree with that, and as I am not planning on gaming, thats what I am going with.
Delta_42 wrote:Also, do you really need a three-pack of keyboards? ;-)
LOL, its just marketing talk, included in the keyboard specs...it means the device performs the functions of 3 devices...a mouse, a keyboard and a remote (hence 3 pack).
Delta_42 wrote:For a HTPC I wouldn't bother with 4Gb Ram, 2Gb will be plenty and 64bit windows on a HTPC can be a nightmare, all sorts of drivers and codecs don't have decent 64bit versions.
I may cut down to 2GB, but I wont be installing 64 bit version of Vista, I was planning on the 32 bit version, as to what I read, all versions of Vista allow increased RAM? (I could be mistaken here)