Critique my WHS Build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Predator6sic6

Critique my WHS Build

Post by Predator6sic6 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:17 pm

Tell me what you think of the parts I have chosen for windows home server build.

I'm going to be using it for streaming media files to my HTPC (mostly 720p H.264) and backing up my main computer.

I want this server to be cheap, quiet, and energy efficient.

Case:
Antec NSK6580 - $109.95
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129033

CPU:
AMD Sempron LE-1100 - $32.99
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6819103197

Mobo:
GIGABYTE GA-MA69VM-S2 - $64.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128043

RAM:
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) - $44.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231098

Hard Drives:
x4 Western Digital Caviar GP WD7500AACS 750GB - $149.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136150

Total: $852.88 + shipping + Tax

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. :D
Last edited by Predator6sic6 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:41 pm

my only question is the need for 3TB.

1TB, 1.5TB, maybe 2TB i could understand, but 3TB is somewhat ridiculous. I struggle to put together systems with 1TB of storage that's active, and i have a multi-track DAW which is used at least 2 days a week, 5 hours each day, but its normally left on.

i can understand streaming videos, but i've used H.264 before, for what it is, its a fairly compressed file format. its your WHS, but thats just my opinion.

the drives are nice though, worth the money. would they be in RAID, or just individual?

Predator6sic6

Post by Predator6sic6 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:03 pm

Right now I have over 500GB in high def movies on an external hard drive that I want to move on to the server plus I'm always downloading something :D

I'm also a avid semi-pro photographer I almost have 1TB of photos on my main computer which I would like to be able to backup onto the server.

I will be using WHS's built in software RAID-like thing.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:58 pm

:shock:

i didn't expect all that.

well, the only thing that i want to point out for advice (because it happened to one of my friends not too long ago). Software RAID (IMHO) is not half as good as hardware RAID. if you get a massive trojan, and you're running software RAID, windows wont boot without the full array (so i've heard, i don't trust that though). with hardware RAID, just disable the RAID in BIOS, boot up, clean the virus, and now you don't have to worry about the array.

i just tried to set up my old workstation in RAID 1 and the primary drive now refuses to boot, but meh, next time around array comes first, OS later.

if you had something with even more storage, i'd say JBOD would be better, but with four drives, i suppose RAID whatever would work, i'm not very familiar with every type and what it does, so that's for someone else.

just curious about one thing though...does the fact that WHS always formats a drive when you put it in bug you too? it made me forget about the OS entirely, and that was back when it was still in development.

Predator6sic6

Post by Predator6sic6 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:59 pm

From what I've read on the WHS forums hardware RAID doesn't play well with WHS.

Mabey I should look into a Linux solution.

I think I just install the WHS trial and see if I like it.

nitram_tpr

Post by nitram_tpr » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:36 am

If it were me I would raid 5 those 4 drives, have them as storage only and have another single drive as the OS drive. At least then if the

Palindroman

Post by Palindroman » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:03 am

It looks like a very good configuration. You might opt for a different mobo though:

As you can see the Gigabyte nVidia 7025 board is already a bit more efficient than the 690V. Asrock has an even more efficient board but I'm not sure if the quality is high enough for a server. You could go for the Abit AN-M2 (if I remember correctly). By undervolting you could shave off almost 10W compared to the 690V. In the Netherlands this would amount to 20 euros a year. That's 100 euros after a lifespan of 5 years.

hyuga

Post by hyuga » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:42 am

Predator6sic6 wrote:From what I've read on the WHS forums hardware RAID doesn't play well with WHS.

Maeby I should look into a Linux solution.

I was considering WHS to migrate from my Linux file server. Linux (Gentoo) ran without reboot or problems for 2 years. I was using 500GB x 4 on a software RAID5 array. No problems at all.

Migrating the data was going to be difficult because of NTFS vs. other file systems in Linux. Especially when doing an "in-place" migration using the same hardware.

After reading how WHS mirrors files across different drives, the way it does not allow you to have a separate OS drive that is separate from the data drives, no support for Windows Vista Home Premium and (obviously) no support for Mac OS X, I decided to save myself the $170 for WHS and continue to use Linux.

I am now running Linux (Ubuntu), which immediately recognized my existing 500GB x 4 array. I added a new 1TB x 3 RAID5 array and using LVM I now have both arrays under 1 3.5TB logical volume. It is easy, fast , low cost, very reliable and rock solid.

As nitram_tpr stated, it is best to have the OS on separate disks. I use RAID1 + LVM on the system volume.

If you are starting from scratch on the target system, then migration should not be a problem if you decide to go with WHS. But I would seriously consider Linux, especially since Ubuntu has a very large user base and you can find almost any scenario already discussed.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:49 pm

Predator6sic6 wrote:
WHS (particularly the drive pooling feature) is very nice in principle, but I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot bargepole until they've fixed the data corruption issues that are being reported all over the web. It started off with supposedly just a few apps affected, but the list seems to be growing by the day - I don't think it's safe to assume that *any* files can be edited in situ on the server, with any application, without risk of corruption.

Apparently you *should* be OK if you don't actually edit files on the server - you can copy them to your workstation, edit them, and copy them back, but it's a horribly clumsy and awkward way of doing things.

Quite how Microsoft managed to release the OS with such a monumental fault is beyond me - as far as I'm concerned, WHS is completely broken in its current state and not fit for the purpose... :(

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:28 pm

nick705 wrote:Quite how Microsoft managed to release the OS with such a monumental fault is beyond me - as far as I'm concerned, WHS is completely broken in its current state and not fit for the purpose... :(
Ditto that...I would love to build a WHS unit, but this error is completely unacceptable and makes the whole purpose of the system useless. I can use an external hard drive to do the same thing for 1/5 the price.

Delta_42
-- Vendor --

Post by Delta_42 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:02 am

for tech-savvy users with large storage requirements I wouldn't recommend WHS.

I had WHS running on a server at home, with around 1Tb of data. Not only does the somewhat limiting drive management system mean you need double the amount of storage, but the storage management cripples performance (not to mention the fact that it seems to be almost constantly trying to re-balance the storage).

I was only getting 5Mb/sec transfer between the server and a PC.

I've taken WHS off the server and put pre-release Windows 2008 on there instead.

Add-in strange problems with videos stalling during playback to the media PC and I'd had enough.

WHS is great for what its designed for, families who want a central storage point for some music and a few bits and pieces, but for enthusiasts with terabytes of data its just not up to the job.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:11 am

Delta_42 wrote: I had WHS running on a server at home, with around 1Tb of data. Not only does the somewhat limiting drive management system mean you need double the amount of storage, but the storage management cripples performance (not to mention the fact that it seems to be almost constantly trying to re-balance the storage).
The drive management was actually what attracted me most about WHS - the ability to add/remove drives of any capacity at any time, and they'll be incorporated into the general storage pool (correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK you don't actually *need* double the storage - you can replicate individual folders or shares if you want, but it's not obligatory).

It's a nice idea in theory - you just have a single unified storage space and let the OS worry about where the files are actually physically located, but it's a moot point given that it doesn't seem to work properly anyway.
Delta_42 wrote:I was only getting 5Mb/sec transfer between the server and a PC.
As I understand it, you can normally max out your network speed using WHS until it starts shifting data from the "landing zone" on the second partition of the boot drive, which is when transfer speeds take a dramatic tumble.

The whole thing needs a radical overhaul before it's worth considering IMHO, but I can see what they were trying to do, and I do think it'll be quite nice when it's finished.

I guess the obvious alternative would be BSD 7.0 or Sun Solaris, using ZFS (the "one filesystem to rule them all"), but I don't really feel inclined to learn the vagaries of yet another OS, Linux gives me enough of a headache as it is...

hyuga

Post by hyuga » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:31 pm

I read about all those issues with WHS. The concept in WHS is nice, but the design seems flawed.

If you are computer savvy, the right choice is to build a Linux file server, in my opinion. There are guides from start to finish and once it is set, it requires very little intervention. The server was up for over 18 months. I only had to power it down to move it to a new location.