HTPC Advice needed: integration with other A/V components

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TBM328

HTPC Advice needed: integration with other A/V components

Post by TBM328 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:28 pm

Dear all,
my next project is a HTPC. This is my preliminary parts list:
  • Antec NSK2480 Black/Silver case
    2 Scythe S-Flex E case fans
    CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX
    ASUS P5E-VM HDMI LGA 775 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU
    Mini Ninja CPU Heatsink
    CORSAIR XMS2 4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 - TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX
    EVGA 512-P3-N841-AR GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB Video Card
    Zalman VF1000 + Ram Heatsink ZM-RHS88
    HT OMEGA CLARO 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card
    WD Caviar GP 750 GB Hard Disk
    ASUS Black 20X DVD Burner
    ADESSO WKB-3000UB Wireless Keyboard
    Vista Ultimate 64 bits
My many doubts are related to the remaining A/V components. I've already set my mind in a Sony KDL-46XBR4 as my new TV (not cheap, but these things last many, many years). I also intend to reuse my faithful Yamaha NS-1000 speakers (I've had them for 27 years) because they still sound great and I don't really care about surround sound.

The problem is: I'm not sure what to use to hook up the HTPC to the speakers. Most people use an A/V receiver but this does not seem to be necessary in my case, anytime I plan to use stereo speakers and I don't plan to connect anything else. So a stereo power amplifier seems to be a better choice, assuming that the output of the sound card is enough to drive such an amplifier (not sure if this is the case).

In addition, I'm not sure what to use in order to ensure a seamless integration between the TV and the HTPC. I would like to control them both with the same remote control (whenever using the HTPC as a DVD player). I don't know what accessory (if any exists) I need to add to my parts list to make this happen.

All advice is welcome! Thank you for your assistance.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:14 pm

The added benefit of a A/V receiver is that you can use it to do video switching, provided it has the proper inputs/outputs. This means that all source devices are hooked to the A/V receiver and then the only outputs are from the receiver to the TV and speakers. Therefore, when you switch from, say, the cable box to the HTPC , the A/V receiver will not only switch the audio inputs but the video as well, so you won't have to mess with input settings on the TV and receiver separately.

A/V Receivers will also provide you with some "surround modes" that can give you a little bit of audio trickery with only two speakers.

nitram_tpr

Post by nitram_tpr » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:24 am

Remote wise you could try the Logitech Harmony

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:42 am

How can you not care about surround sound? The difference to overall experience between 5.1 and stereo is arguably bigger than the difference between HD and SD video. Unless those DVDs you are going to be watching are all from before 1995, you are really missing out by not having surround sound.

Also, what's with the Vista Ultimate? There are no additional features in that version that are applicable to HTPC use. Furthermore, 64 bit is probably the way to go long term, but for right now it may give you grief in terms of driver support for A/V related peripherals. I anticipate driver issues with that sound card, being as it is a somewhat old model. Remote control drivers might also be an issue, if you go with something like the Harmony.

Avalanche

Post by Avalanche » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:05 pm

What will you be doing with your HTPC besides watching DVDs? Because your computer is 100x overkill for playing DVDs. And what other A/V equipment are you trying to incorporate? Do you have a Cable Box like jhhoffma mentioned? It'd be helpful to know what else you need to hook up.

TBM328

Post by TBM328 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:41 pm

Well, I plan to do all the things that you usually do with a HTPC, such as recording TV programs to the hard Disk, storing/displaying/photoshopping the family pictures, etc. In addition this will be the kids' PC, so it will be used also for gaming and (hopefully) homework.

As far as the complete setup is concerned. At this time I don't have neither cable nor satellite (open air is just fine for me).

It sounds like the trend is using an A/V receiver, if nothing else for future-proofing. What I have realized is that a good sound card plus a stereo receiver can easily cost around $ 350, so with little more than that I could buy an entry level A/V receiver, which would allow me to expand to a true surround sound system, just by adding speakers and wiring.

Is this a better approach? Any advice regarding which receiver to get?

TBM328

Post by TBM328 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:44 pm

jessekopelman wrote:How can you not care about surround sound? The difference to overall experience between 5.1 and stereo is arguably bigger than the difference between HD and SD video. Unless those DVDs you are going to be watching are all from before 1995, you are really missing out by not having surround sound.

Also, what's with the Vista Ultimate? There are no additional features in that version that are applicable to HTPC use. Furthermore, 64 bit is probably the way to go long term, but for right now it may give you grief in terms of driver support for A/V related peripherals. I anticipate driver issues with that sound card, being as it is a somewhat old model. Remote control drivers might also be an issue, if you go with something like the Harmony.
What version of Windows do you recommend? Vista Home Premium 32 bits is a better choice?

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:06 pm

Personally, I'd go with the 64-bit version of Vista, especially if you are running 4GB RAM or more. I'm running 64-bit Vista on my main computer, my HTPC/file server, secondary computer and on my laptop. I'd avoid any hardware device that is not 64-bit compatible. So far the only device I own that isn't 64-bit compatible is my old scanner, not a big deal.

Vista Home Premium should be good for an HTPC. I chose Ultimate for mine so I can control it with Remote Desktop.

Delta_42
-- Vendor --

Post by Delta_42 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:28 am

I have to disagree with the last post to an extent.

I'd avoid 64bit like the plague for a HTPC. Especially for a machine thats also going to be used for gaming.

2Gb is plenty of memory for a pc like that, and sticking with 32 bit means you won't have to worry about finding device drivers, video codecs or anything else you might need. 4Gb for DVD playback and a few games is massive overkill and certainly wouldn't give benefits worth the added hassle of going to 64bit windows.

Vista Home Premium 32bit would be ideal.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:57 pm

Delta_42 wrote: 2Gb is plenty of memory for a pc like that, and sticking with 32 bit means you won't have to worry about finding device drivers, video codecs or anything else you might need. 4Gb for DVD playback and a few games is massive overkill and certainly wouldn't give benefits worth the added hassle of going to 64bit windows.
I agree with all of that. However, RAM is now so cheap that it's hard to argue against buying 4 GB. After all, even under 32-bit OS, you still get to use most of it. The day of 64-bit OS being mainstream is definitely coming, but I think it is still 2-3 years away.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:32 pm

TBM328 wrote:It sounds like the trend is using an A/V receiver, if nothing else for future-proofing. What I have realized is that a good sound card plus a stereo receiver can easily cost around $ 350, so with little more than that I could buy an entry level A/V receiver, which would allow me to expand to a true surround sound system, just by adding speakers and wiring.

Is this a better approach? Any advice regarding which receiver to get?
If you shop around, $350 will get you a lot better than entry level. Harman-Kardon sells refurbished models (with a 3-yr warranty) on eBay and they go for great prices. I got a $1,300 list price model for $353, including shipping.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Panasonic's SA-XR receivers. Their "full digital" amplification system results in a much smaller, lighter, and cooler running device that sounds as good as traditional systems. Unfortunately, Panasonic skimps of on ports and features to keep prices low. The current top model, the SA-XR700, seems to be the only one with 1080p HDMI switching and it only has 2 HDMI inputs. Still, how many such inputs do you need? I went with my H-K instead of a Pana just to get some extra features that it turns out I never use . . . Unfortunately, this device seems hard to find for much under $600 (and hard to find period, as Panasonic USA doesn't even acknowledge its existance). If you don't care about size/heat or just need more features, Onkyo's tend to have excellent price/performance ratios. Also, it is hard to beat the eBay deals on refurbished Harman-Kardon.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:13 pm

Delta_42 wrote:2Gb is plenty of memory for a pc like that, and sticking with 32 bit means you won't have to worry about finding device drivers, video codecs or anything else you might need. 4Gb for DVD playback and a few games is massive overkill and certainly wouldn't give benefits worth the added hassle of going to 64bit windows.
Based on the original poster's preliminary parts list, I don't see any of this being a problem at all.

The only question remaining would be the choice of video hardware for TV recording - but why bother with a recorder that won't get with the times.

Schroinx

Re: HTPC Advice needed: integration with other A/V component

Post by Schroinx » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:07 pm

TBM328 wrote: ...I've already set my mind in a Sony KDL-46XBR4 as my new TV (not cheap, but these things last many, many years)..
You might want to reconsider that statement. In the past with CRT being a mature technology and beamers not falling dramatically in price, it was true. However for the plasmas and LCDs, we have entered a period where a new generation of panels hit the market every 6-8 months. They ar stille fighting black levels and getting the panels resolution up to full hd as well as raising the size (compared to price), and with the evolution seen in the past few years they will get there. Basically it means that the prices of used screens fall at almost the same rate as computer hardware, and that they are outdated just as quick. This leads me to the conclusion that they will not last many years, nor retain their value, unless they are branded B&O and maybe not even so.

I bought a cheap 37" last year, as I then can justify to upgrade the thing to a new 50" or 60" (or even a 70") with full hd resolution in a couple of years. The 37" can then be retired to the bed room....

My 5c

/Schr