New Build Advice : Intel or AMD? M8N-E any good?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jubei

New Build Advice : Intel or AMD? M8N-E any good?

Post by Jubei » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:09 am

Background : last week, the SATA controller on my motherboard (Asus A8N-E) got fried (freak accident, no idea what caused it) and it can no longer access any SATA device. I have decided to build a new rig as my main system and hopefully salvage my current one as a backup system. I have not been actively looking at hardware for nearly 2 years, so am not up to date with current developments. So I am going to begin with a few questions as I am still undecided about whether I should go with AMD or Intel.

I understand that current Intel Core2Duo CPUs are supposed to be better than AMDs current crop of models. But since I am not really complaining about my previous AMD 64 3200+, I assume any modern CPU should be good enough for my purposes (web browsing, word processing, minor image processing, loads of MP3 ripping and light gaming). Which one is better : AMD 64 X2 5000 compare or Intel E4500?

Seems like I have more motherboard choices with Intel system than AMD. The AMD motherboards I found were considerably cheaper than Intel based motherboards. I am basically looking at an Asus M8N-E for the AMD system or one of the Gigabyte (GA-P35-DS3L or GA-P35-DS3R) motherboards for the Intel based one. Is the M8N-E good and stable? I have read some negative things about it (but that was quite a while ago) so am wondering whether it is worth it - I do not intend to overclock.

I am also looking at some passively cooled video cards - might want the new rig to be able to deal with high definition video decoding (not likely to rip so encoding should be a non-issue). We just got high definition digital terrestrial broadcast in Hong Kong, and I was thinking about adding a TV card to take advantage of this. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:18 am

I checked tomshardware: X2 5000+ seems to kick E4XXX series pretty heavily.
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007. ... &chart=422
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007. ... &chart=425
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007. ... &chart=419

However E4xxx runs cooler and overclocks very well. But in stock speed X2 5000+ seems to be better choice. And Cool 'N' Quiet is still strong with cheaper prices.

For passively cooled HD card? Ati HD 34x0, HD 2600 pro / XT or HD 3650 if you're on budget. Then there is HD 3850.

for nVidia: 8400 GS, 8500 GT, 8600 GT or 9600 GT. However for multimedia thing nVidia's HD decoder is not as good as Ati UVD. 9600GT got great improvement over previous models.

With HD 2600, 3650 and HD 3850 you can do decent gaming. As you can do decent gaming 8600 GT/S and 9600 GT.

Jubei

Post by Jubei » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:34 am

Thanks for the info!! Great seems like AMD CPU is way to go at budget price range . . . only thing is less mobo choices. I am looking at M8N-E as stated before, but am abit worried about comments that it is less than stable when tweaked. I don't really intend to overclock so I should be OK??

In terms of video card, I am looking at HD 3450 series, but if HD 3650 does not cost that much more might consider it as well.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:35 am

MSI and Gigabyte have 690G Chipset Full ATX motherboards ( and of course MicroATX variation). They're good and low powered choices. New AMD 780G is also in market now. Albeit very new and not fully matured worth of consideration. With HD 3450 you can even put Hybrid Crossfire with 780G when drivers mature bit more.

Only real draw back in 780G ( with more power consumption over 690G ) is that SB 700 is not full proof and have some problems with Vista. 780G's should be soon equipped with SB750 which should fix those problems.

690G is mature and solid chipset. I've used one for month's without problems or crashing in MSI K9AG-Neo2-Digital ( MSI's FullATX 690G Motherboard ) And you can put Ninja on that Motherboard and I haven't had any coil whine in this main system.

Blood
Friend of SPCR

Post by Blood » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:02 pm

I would take a more serious look at the intel options. The e4400 and e4500 easily push 3ghz (though tops at 3.3) with no or minimum voltage increase.

You can also get an abit ip35-e for around 70 dollars shipped these days.

I wouldn't consider hybrid crossfire a real option yet as the technology hasn't matured.

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:13 am

Yeah, e4400 are viable options but not all peoples are comfortable overclocking. Also considering e4400 costs here 120 € and x2 5000+ costs 100 - 110€ its more viable option if you do not want to go OC'ing.

X2 5000+ is fater out of the box and I think that was the question. AMD is still cheaper...

Jubei

Post by Jubei » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:49 am

It is good to know that AMD is faster out of the box at the price range . . . but one of my key problems is lack of choice for AMD based boards. So far, I have seen Asus and Gigabyte boards but have not found any AM2 socket MSI boards.