Antec Fusion 430, GeminII Cooler

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tensai

Antec Fusion 430, GeminII Cooler

Post by Tensai » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:33 pm

Hi all,

I've been lurking around reading on the forums for a while and am just now getting ready to build my first HTPC. First of all, I have to say thanks for everyone who contributes and helps out noobs like me who are just getting into this area.

I'm getting ready to order parts for my first system. I'm looking at using the following components...

CASE: Antec Fusion 430
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H
CPU: AMD X2 BE-2400
Tuner: WinTV-PVR 150 (hauppauge)

I originally wanted to use the new Athlon X2 4850e, but I haven't been able to find it for sale anywhere. So I may just end up going with the BE-2400.

Either way, I'm thinking that I will probably switch out the stock cooler for a Cooler Master GeminII. I've read some people saying there was no way to fit it into a case as small as the Fusion, but TomsHardware seems to have done it (see next post)...

They were able to run an Athlon 4000+ with no problems, so I figured a 45W BE-2400 should be ok.

I'd definitely be grateful for comments or suggestions. If anyone knows where to pick up a 4850e that would be awesome too!
Last edited by Tensai on Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tensai

TomsHardware Link

Post by Tensai » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:33 pm

TomsHardware using the GeminII cooler in an Antec Fusion 430 to passively cool an Athlon 64 4000+

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/01/17/ ... page9.html

nitram_tpr

Post by nitram_tpr » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:42 am

I built a system for my Brother very similar to yours last week.
i used the same case, same mobo, but a BE2350 instead of the 2400.
I used a Mini Ninja Heatsink and discarded the fan and it cools the CPU excellently in passive mode.
I also changed the 2 case fans to AKASA amber series ultra quiets. I plugged these into the 2 fan headers on the motherboard and the case is practically silent. The fans that come with the case are fairly quiet on the low speed setting but they are not as quiet as the AKASA ones I have replaced them with.

Tensai

Thanks

Post by Tensai » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:36 pm

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks a bunch.