Need help on my ultra silent PC config!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Post Reply
karkee
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: belgium

Need help on my ultra silent PC config!

Post by karkee » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:21 am

Hello all on SPCR :)

I need some help on building my ultra silent PC :) atm I already have this:

Case : Antec Sonata ||| 500

CPU : Intel 2duo E8400

Mobo: Asus P5k

Ram : OCZ 2x2g vista performance

At the moment I am using every standard cooler + PSU, I would like to ask what is the best to use in a very silent config?

I need a really silent CPU cooler / 1x casefan / PSU

Also what is the easyst way to let both the CPU fan AND casefan run at 5v? ( and on how much RPM do they run then ) ?

Also is my case good enough to build a silent computer or are there better cases to even make it more silent?

Thanks ! :)

toki_c
Patron of SPCR
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Earth

Post by toki_c » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:30 am

here are some pics and comments of what i've done with a sonata 3:

viewtopic.php?t=47488
viewtopic.php?t=47480

With two annoying hard drives, seek-idl noises and vibrations are really unbearable with the stock gourmets.
You need:
- firstly suspend your hard drives: when it's done you will notice immediatly a decrease of the level noises;
- swap the psu: the "buzz" is really enough strong to be really annoying in night time. otherwise, it's bearable in day time.

- once those two steps are done assuing that quiet fans for case/cpu/gpu are installed you will get a very quiet rig but not enough to be unnoticeable in quiet night time.

both hard drive spinning and seek noises go through the case easily and come up with air turbulance too. the global level of noises is not unbearable at all, but you notice the computer running in quiet night time (i'm pretty close too my computer, my legs is really near to the computer).

- So the final touch will be adding more quiet drive and/or case insullation.

My dampping material is pretty effective, after a hard work doing so (a very neat insullation as you could see in the first link pics), my rig go through very quiet to a silent one.
i put two, three... layers of dampping material where i could and finished with 3-layers of the front bays: 1layer dampping material -- 1layer of thick foam -- 1layer of dampping material.
Now, I can barelly hear a slight air turbulance noise with the little "buzz" from the 425W Pro82+ PSU whenn I'm close ~5cm from the case in night time. Even the annoying high frequencies seek noises disappeared...
I'm waiting 2x750GB WD GPp hard drives to put the final touch of my silent rig.

I whish I help you giving enough info of each step. You can pm me if you need help.

PS: if you speak French I could give the name, in French, of my dampping material. i got 5mx0.5mx7mm for 21€ with absorption band: 21% -1kHz, 69%-2kHz, 89%-3kHz...
[size=75]Sonta 3 - 425W Pro82+, 3x120mm Noctua S12 fans @6-6.5V, NH-U12F, Abit IP35Pro, Zotac 8800GT512 AMP! Edition 700/1700/2000-Accelero-S1-Rev.2, E4300 @2.43GHz, 4x1GB G.Skill 6400CL4PK @810MHz-1.8V-tRD6, Vista x64 + XP 32bit on 2x750GB WD GP, Club3D Theadron 7.1DTS - CMI8788, Logitech Z5400, Plextor PX-760A, Dell 2007WFP-IPS, MX518, SpeedLink Al-Flat Keyboard[/size]

karkee
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: belgium

Post by karkee » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:39 am

Than u very much on helping me toxic :) I also could get that other case would I get it even more silent with the 182

And what do u suggest as CPU fan / PSU / casefan? and how can I easily let them run at for example 5V.

Thanks again

MikeC
Site Admin
Posts: 12283
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Contact:

Post by MikeC » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:21 am

karkee --

Rather than asking questions helter skelter, I suggest you start by reading through the Reference/Recommended articles on specific components, some of the DIY system articles on the main site, and maybe the General Gallery in the forum. You'll gain a much fuller understanding of what's needed to make a computer quiet and why.

Don't forget the FAQ for newbies.
Mike Chin, SPCR Editor/Publisher
Support SPCR by buying your gear through this link: Amazon

toki_c
Patron of SPCR
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Earth

Post by toki_c » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:23 am

karkee wrote:Than u very much on helping me toxic :) I also could get that other case would I get it even more silent with the 182
Sure you can get a P182... but if you can starting buying fans and damping material to level down noises. And yes, a more quieter PSU is necessary too before bothering buying a P182. But you can buy a P182 at the same time if you don't mind about budget level. That's up to you.
karkee wrote: And what do u suggest as CPU fan / PSU / casefan? and how can I easily let them run at for example 5V.
As you live in Belgium, you can get easily Noctua's fans or Nexus' fans. But if your MB do not let you manage fan voltage as you pleased, you should get Noctua S12 fans because there two adaptors: ULNA (Ultra Low Noise -- 5V-600rpm) LNA (Low Noise Adaptor -- 7V -- 800rpm) which should be enough for your needs. And get Noctua P12 for the CPU.

PS: And yes, MikeC is right. You sould have read the recommended before asking any questions.
Last edited by toki_c on Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
[size=75]Sonta 3 - 425W Pro82+, 3x120mm Noctua S12 fans @6-6.5V, NH-U12F, Abit IP35Pro, Zotac 8800GT512 AMP! Edition 700/1700/2000-Accelero-S1-Rev.2, E4300 @2.43GHz, 4x1GB G.Skill 6400CL4PK @810MHz-1.8V-tRD6, Vista x64 + XP 32bit on 2x750GB WD GP, Club3D Theadron 7.1DTS - CMI8788, Logitech Z5400, Plextor PX-760A, Dell 2007WFP-IPS, MX518, SpeedLink Al-Flat Keyboard[/size]

karkee
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: belgium

Post by karkee » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:25 am

Ok sorry but I readed all that stuff but I still dont get what I should buy cuz theres so many damn stuff out there...

And the biggest thing of all is how to let the fans run slow .. do I need to let them run at 5v or ?

karkee
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: belgium

Post by karkee » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:32 am

toki_c wrote:
karkee wrote:Than u very much on helping me toxic :) I also could get that other case would I get it even more silent with the 182
Sure you can get a P182... but if you can starting buying fans and damping material to level down noises. And yes, a more quieter PSU is necessary too before bothering buying a P182. But you can buy a P182 at the same time if you don't mind about budget level. That's up to you.
karkee wrote: And what do u suggest as CPU fan / PSU / casefan? and how can I easily let them run at for example 5V.
As you live in Belgium, you can get easily Noctua's fans or Nexus' fans. But if your MB do not let you manage fan voltage as you pleased, you should get Noctua S12 fans because there two adaptors: ULNA (Ultra Low Noise -- 5V-600rpm) LNA (Low Noise Adaptor -- 7V -- 800rpm) which should be enough for your needs. And get Noctua P12 for the CPU.

PS: And yes, MikeC is right. You sould have read the recommended before asking any questions.
I have a ASUS P5K mobo I have no idea if its possible to do case voltages there? :o

karkee
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: belgium

Post by karkee » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:48 am

Hmmm yea I live in belgium but do u know a really good site to buy those fans? I seen those on this site but is there any in belgium u know of or so?

toki_c
Patron of SPCR
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Earth

Post by toki_c » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:00 am

karkee wrote:Hmmm yea I live in belgium but do u know a really good site to buy those fans? I seen those on this site but is there any in belgium u know of or so?
I'm not living in Belgium, so I do not know where you can get those fans. But I checked out computermsa.be, ldlc.be... and it's kinda expensive. i advice you to buy in Germany if it doesn't bother you.
Otherwise you can use price omparison.
And don't tell me that i have to advice for even... where to buy do you? D:
[size=75]Sonta 3 - 425W Pro82+, 3x120mm Noctua S12 fans @6-6.5V, NH-U12F, Abit IP35Pro, Zotac 8800GT512 AMP! Edition 700/1700/2000-Accelero-S1-Rev.2, E4300 @2.43GHz, 4x1GB G.Skill 6400CL4PK @810MHz-1.8V-tRD6, Vista x64 + XP 32bit on 2x750GB WD GP, Club3D Theadron 7.1DTS - CMI8788, Logitech Z5400, Plextor PX-760A, Dell 2007WFP-IPS, MX518, SpeedLink Al-Flat Keyboard[/size]

Post Reply