My firt silent HTPC - Help me choosing the components please

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rvb3n

My firt silent HTPC - Help me choosing the components please

Post by rvb3n » Wed May 07, 2008 9:18 am

Hy everybody!

I write here for the first time because I need help. I regular read the news on this site but I decided to register only today because I need your help to build a silent HTPC.

First of all an important things:you have to know that english it's not my mother language so sorry for the mistake (I hope you will help me anyway).

Now let's starts...

My idea it's to build a HTPC for my parents to play:

with Windows Media Center:
- DVD;
- video (xvid, dvix,...);

with iTunes
- music (mp3 files).

As you can see the idea it's very simple!

STATUS AT 09.05.2008
The components:
1. Case: Lian Li PC-A36 MUSE or Lian Li PC-A37 MUSE wich one?
2. Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H
3. CPU: Athlon X2 4850e
4. CPU Fan: wich silent CPU Fan do yuo suggest me for the Lian-Li case?
5. RAM: 2x1GB
6: Optical drive: the most silent DVD player (I don't even need a writer).
7: Hard-disk: 2 hard-disk, 1 for the SO and iTunes and the other for the storage (I need many GB: minimum 500 GB for the storage).
8: Graphic card: GigaByte RX3450, 256MB

with

9: TV card: I need a card for the FM radia via cable, I don't know if maybe it's better an USB one (for better internal air circulation)
10. Controller: Logitech diNovo mini
11. Accessory: 3.5mm to RCA cable

I hope I have wrote in a clear way what I need and I hope that you can help me to build this gift.

I will wait for you answer and suggestion.

The two store:

Drako: http://www.drako.it
STEGPC: http://www.stegcomputer.ch/shop.asp
Last edited by rvb3n on Tue May 13, 2008 5:21 am, edited 8 times in total.

Nighthog

Post by Nighthog » Wed May 07, 2008 9:58 am

I maybe could sugest a case that Lian Li has put upp on their site. They haven't shown upp in shops yet or haven't found any reviews off them yet but taking a look they are kinda LOVELY! :)

Lian Li PC-A36 MUSE http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pr ... s_index=64
or
Lian Li PC-A37 MUSE
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pr ... s_index=64

Sadly it may take quite some time before one can buy them.

But to other maters, what kind of budget do you have? Thit is usually quite important aswell when you ask others to give sugestions.

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Wed May 07, 2008 2:32 pm

Hi and Welcome to SPCR!!

You haven't specified a budget. So I will use parts that are reasonably priced. Posting links is ok after your first post. And your english is fine. :)

Case: Antec NSK2400, its decently sized and uses 120mm fans, which can be replaced for quieter ones.
Motherboard:Any one with the AMD 780G chipset. The 780G chipset has the best video acceleration options on the market. The GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H seems to be popular, but decide based on features and price.
CPU: Any dual core CPU will do. The AMD Athlon X2 4450e seems like a good choice. The 4450e also has a 45W TDP, so it will surly run cool and be very efficient.
RAM: 1GBx2 is essentially the same as 2GBx1. Using only one module won't improve airflow much. Either choice is ok.
Optical: ANY optical drive will be loud at full speed. However, there is software availible to slow it down. So any DVD-ROM drive is ok.
Hard Drive: I would recommend only using one drive. Hard drives are often the loudest parts of a computer. Using two of them isn't advised. I would recommend the following drives to you: WD5000AACS, WD7500AACS, WD6400AAKS, and the HD753LJ. All are quiet drives between 500 and 750GB.
TV card: I don't know enough about TV cards to recommend one.

I hope this has been helpful and at least a place to start. :)

Modo

Re: My firt silent HTPC - Help me choosing the components pl

Post by Modo » Wed May 07, 2008 9:47 pm

rvb3n wrote: The components:
1. Case: I'm looking for a silent micro ATX case horizontal placed.
Antec NSK 2400/2480. It has perfect airflow, allowing for quiet operation with low-rpm fans. You'll want to swap the stock fans for some low-noise ones, like S-FLEX, and run them below 700rpm, which is inaudible for most people. The case versions differ—one comes without a PSU, one with an Antec EarthWatts. If you pick the 2400, add a low-wattage PSU from the recommended list (you want to go below 400W), or even get a Pico PSU.
rvb3n wrote: 2. Motherboard: a micro ATX motherboard (or mini ITX) with integrated graphic card (this point it's very important. I doesn't want to add another graphic card so that inside the little case there will be very few component).
The integrated graphic card must be able to let the HTPC play DVD and video (but nothing in High definition, my parents have a old cathodic tube-TV).
I'd pick a versatile solution, going with an AMD chipset for Intel processors. Abit F-I90HD looks good, although you can find cheaper solutions with the Radeon XPress 1250 chipset. It's good enough for your needs, and it lets you pick a more energy-efficient CPU.
rvb3n wrote: 3. CPU: it's not important if Intel or AMD, i just want a CPU that doesn't consume much energy and that doesn't become hot!
Intel E2xx series. Any model should do for this task. If you want power for later (i.e. HD codecs), go with a Core 2 Duo E8200.

To make things really quiet, put a Ninja Mini heatsink on the CPU. It needs no fan in this enclosure, since case fans will pull air directly through it.
rvb3n wrote: 4. RAM: 2 GB for Windows Vista Home Premium but I don't know if it's better 2x1GB or 1x2Gb (maybe it can improve the air circulation only 1 module?)
Having just one RAM stick won't improve airflow significantly. Plus, RAM is not running very hot, so no danger anyway. It's better to run memory in dual-channel mode to improve performance.
rvb3n wrote: 5: optical drive: the most silent DVD player (I don't even need a writer).
I doubt any DVD drive can be called "silent" when operating. What you do is pick any, and use a tool like Nero Drivespeed to both reduce the maximum speed (thus improving error correction!), and to make the drive spin down quicker after reads (it will be quiet when it's not spinning, that's for sure ;)).
rvb3n wrote: 6: hard-disk: 2 hard-disk, 1 for the SO and iTunes and the other for the storage (I need many GB: minimum 500 GB for the storage).
WD Green Power, 640GB model preferred. If you need more space, pick the 1TB one. I'd recommend making a small (32GB or 64GB) partition for system files and programs. The way this PC will be used doesn't really require a second hard disk—you won't see big improvements in performance. If you really feel that one is needed, look for a SSD drive as the system disk (good ones performance-wise are very expensive, though).

Don't know about TV cards, as I've never used one. Don't worry about keeping it inside, not with this enclosure.

rvb3n

Post by rvb3n » Thu May 08, 2008 3:18 am

First of all thx a lot for your answer, you've help me very much!

Now let's anality your suggestion...

1. Case:

Lian Li PC-A36 MUSE & Lian Li PC-A37 MUSE seem to be a very good solution because they are not so big as the Antec NSK2400.
I think that the Antec is really to big (my parent will be scared with this case over the television). Can you suggest me other good case or tell me your opinion about the two Lian Li?

2. Motherboard: if it's true that the AMD 780G "has the best video acceleration options on the market" I will buy this one, can you suggest me some micro ATX motherboard with this chipset?

3. CPU: i think that this one is the best AMD for me: AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400, what do you think about it? Well if the mothernboard that you suggest me it's for Intel CPU I will take this one: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200.

with Ninja Mini heatsink

4. Optical Drive: it doesn't matter.

5. RAM: ok, let's make the Dual Channel with 2x1GB.

6. Hard-disk: if you suggest me to buy only one HD can you please suggest silent 750 GB/ 1 TB model?

7. TV: ?

8. I need something more?

P.S. The store is this one: Drako.it

NOTE 1: I've wrote this post thanks to your suggest but without look at the store that I linked so please if you find in that store similar component can you suggest them instead?

NOTE 2: I've to connect this media center to an old TV. The only method I found it's to use this Apple adapter:

So the output on the motherboard must be DVI-I and not DVI-D, or do you know other method?

rvb3n

Post by rvb3n » Thu May 08, 2008 4:19 am

I just pust this image to ask you if there are motherboard with this RCA audio output:

Modo

Post by Modo » Thu May 08, 2008 4:22 am

rvb3n wrote: Lian Li PC-A36 MUSE & Lian Li PC-A37 MUSE seem to be a very good solution because they are not so big as the Antec NSK2400.
I suggested the Antec case because I use it, and it works very well for my purposes (quiet with enough power for gaming), but I agree it is big. In your case, with no dedicated graphics card planned, the Lian Li models should provide sufficient cooling.
rvb3n wrote: 2. Motherboard: if it's true that the AMD 780G "has the best video acceleration options on the market" I will buy this one, can you suggest me some micro ATX motherboard with this chipset?
That is the best chipset with integrated graphics at the moment. It should have no problems with any multimedia content. I'd suggest the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H. Boards from Asus and MSI should work well, too.
rvb3n wrote: 3. CPU: i think that this one is the best AMD for me: AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400, what do you think about it? Well if the mothernboard that you suggest me it's for Intel CPU I will take this one: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200.
It looks good. The less power it needs, the better.

As to the heatsink, you need to check the enclosure height with the heatsink height to ensure compatibility. The Ninja Mini fits just right into the Antec case, so lower ones will require lower heatsinks, probably under 10cm height.
rvb3n wrote: 6. Hard-disk: if you suggest me to buy only one HD can you please suggest silent 750 GB/ 1 TB model?
WD Green Power or Samsung F1 come to mind. The Samsungs have slightly better performance, while WD should be a tad less noisy.

rvb3n

Post by rvb3n » Thu May 08, 2008 4:45 am

Uhm I think that I've a problem: every motherboard that I found doen't have the DVI-I output but only the DVI-D: that mean that I cannot use the Apple adaptor, so how can I connect the PC to the TV?

Ursa

Post by Ursa » Thu May 08, 2008 9:55 am

I'm kinda bumping this post since I'm 99% finished with my own HTPC build, and uses 99% the same parts.

However I don't know of any solution for the DVI-I problem.

I'd also like to know if there are other, smaller cases available

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Thu May 08, 2008 12:28 pm

Case: The Lian Li looks ok. However, I have two concerns. First, it is an aluminun case, so hard drive vibrations may not be dampened very well. It comes with rubber grommets, but they might not be enough. Second, I don't know how the fan on the PSU will be. Luckily, it is 80mm, which gives it some potential to be quiet.

Motherboard: The GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H looks like a good choice.

CPU: The BE-2400 is a good choice. :!: :!: The ninja mini, does not fit into the Lian Li PC-A36! My advice would be to just use the stock AMD cooler and see how it is. I've heard that its pretty quiet. If it's too loud, you can always replace it later.

Optical & RAM: Ok, OK.

Hard Drive: The Drako.it store is extremely limited. :( The only hard drive 750GB or bigger I can recommend is the WD10EACS
rv3n wrote:Uhm I think that I've a problem: every motherboard that I found doen't have the DVI-I output but only the DVI-D: that mean that I cannot use the Apple adaptor, so how can I connect the PC to the TV?
I've thought about this too. Unfortunately, I think you can't. :cry: You're looking for composite video out. (The yellow cable) Nearly all motherboards only have DVI-D and VGA. Both are not easily converted to composite. That apple adapter may be the simplest solution IF you can find a DVI-I 780G motherboard, which is unlikely.

With that said, I think the next best option would be to use a graphics card which has a TV-Out, which can easily be converted to composite for your TV. I would use an ATI 3450, which is a low power graphics card with the same video capabilities of the 780G chipset. The card must use passive cooling. Even though this is not the most desireable method, it will definately work with your TV.

As for the audio, you need a 3.5mm to RCA adapter. Like this.

Finally, Drako.it is extremely limited in terms of component choice. They only offer four AMD motherboards! (Three 790FX, one 590 SLI) Are there any other site you can purchase from?

amyhughes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by amyhughes » Thu May 08, 2008 12:40 pm

rvb3n wrote:i think that this one is the best AMD for me: AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400, what do you think about it?
Don't the 4050E, 4450E and 4850E replace the BE-2300, BE-2350 and BE-2400?

McCrum

Post by McCrum » Thu May 08, 2008 5:06 pm

Modo wrote:That is the best chipset with integrated graphics at the moment. It should have no problems with any multimedia content. I'd suggest the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H. Boards from Asus and MSI should work well, too.
I second the Gigabyte, it's got a few more ports than the Asus (Firewire for example) and is only ten bucks cheaper.

Amy is correct on the new processor naming swap (thanks for adding clarity to things, AMD!), and I believe the 4850 is only 45w as well, saving you 20 watts for the same processing speed.

rvb3n

Post by rvb3n » Fri May 09, 2008 5:01 am

Ok, thx a lot to every one, we (well YOU) are making a good job.

I've edited the first post so that you can see what I still need.

I've also added another store wich has more stuff (many passsive GPU).

Can you continue with your suggestion?

rvb3n

Post by rvb3n » Fri May 09, 2008 5:14 am

I just found this case: what do you think about it?

http://www.sffclub.com/index.php?option ... d=99999999

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Mon May 12, 2008 11:23 pm

McCrum wrote:and I believe the 4850 is only 45w as well, saving you 20 watts for the same processing speed.
In theory. Real world savings are nowhere near 20W.
angelkiller wrote:The ninja mini, does not fit into the Lian Li PC-A36! My advice would be to just use the stock AMD cooler and see how it is. I've heard that its pretty quiet. If it's too loud, you can always replace it later.
But you can't replace it with Mini Ninja later, if you go with the Lian-Li. I'd strongly reconsider getting Lian-Li, but if the OP is already fixed on it, then this is a solid advice.

I'd recommend you visit this HTPC guide at MissingRemote.com. it's a site that specializes on HTPC stuff. Their forums can also be useful.

rvb3n

Post by rvb3n » Tue May 13, 2008 5:18 am

I found this video card, I think it's perfect for me: what do you say?

GigaByte RX3450, 256MB

Do you think I will be able to use this bracket?

It's easy to remove the standard bracket or it's not possible?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue May 13, 2008 7:59 am

rvb3n wrote:I found this video card, I think it's perfect for me: what do you say?

GigaByte RX3450, 256MB

Do you think I will be able to use this bracket?

It's easy to remove the standard bracket or it's not possible?
That's very good card. Changing bracket is like 1-2-3. You just unscrew the attachment screws next to to ports and bracket comes off like that.