ABIT IP35 Pro and fans

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Monolith

ABIT IP35 Pro and fans

Post by Monolith » Wed May 07, 2008 11:09 pm

In building my new system, I'm planning on getting the ABIT IP35 Pro motherboard. I also plan on getting three fans: 120mm fan for the CPU heatsink, 120mm fan for the rear exhaust, and 92mm fan for the front intake. In choosing the fans I was simply going to go with ones that seemed to be recommended such as the Scythe S-FLEX 120mm, and the Scythe Kama 92mm (as just a guess). But then something caught my eye that the power connectors might not work between the fans and the motherboards.

I don't know too much about this, but could someone assist me in picking fans that will actually work with this motherboard? The motherboard apparently has one 4-pin fan header for the CPU fan, and then 5 other 3-pin fan headers.

And I was looking at the Scythe fans as opposed to the Nexus fans because the Scythe fan bearings seemed to be better for longevity, which is important to me.

roadie

Post by roadie » Thu May 08, 2008 1:09 am

Any 3 pin fans will work with the mobo. I am running 3 fans from the motherboard headers: a Yate Loon off the 4 pin CPU header, another Yate Loon from the System fan header and an Arctic Cooling Turbo Module from the Aux 1 fan header.

I am not sure about the more feature rich IP35 Pro, but my board is only able to control the RPM of the System and CPU fans. However, this is perfectly adequate for me.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Thu May 08, 2008 1:50 am

All 6 headers on the IP35 Pro are BIOS/uGuru controllable and will work with any 3 or 4 pin fan (4 pin fans are backwards compatible with 3 pin headers and 4 pin headers are backwards compatible with 3 pin fans).

AFAIK Speedfan will read temps/speeds but can't control fans (yet). The thing is, Abit's BIOS/uGuru are so good you won't need Speedfan anyway.

You might want to check this thread: viewtopic.php?t=47601

Edit - another link re. 3/4 pin fan/header compatibility: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboar ... 012074.htm

toki_c
Patron of SPCR

Post by toki_c » Thu May 08, 2008 4:33 am

Why did you open a new thread while there's the same with all the information you need in the forum?!

Monolith

Post by Monolith » Thu May 08, 2008 7:50 am

blackworx wrote:All 6 headers on the IP35 Pro are BIOS/uGuru controllable and will work with any 3 or 4 pin fan (4 pin fans are backwards compatible with 3 pin headers and 4 pin headers are backwards compatible with 3 pin fans).
Ah, thank you. That was something I didn't know. So in other words, I could get any fan and not have to worry about how it connects to the motherboard? And I'm assuming from that, the fans that I mentioned would be able to work for this motherboard. The only minor potential issue I can see is with trying to connect a 4-pin fan to a tightly spaced 3-pin header on the motherboard, but looking at the layout of this board I don't think that'll be a problem.
toki_c wrote:Why did you open a new thread while there's the same with all the information you need in the forum?!
I made sure to search for "ABIT IP35 Pro" on the forum and scanned through those topics (which included the topic linked to above) before posting this one. I did not find answers to what I was unsure about in the other topics I read, so I started this thread.

toki_c
Patron of SPCR

Post by toki_c » Thu May 08, 2008 8:54 am

Monolith wrote:I made sure to search for "ABIT IP35 Pro" on the forum and scanned through those topics (which included the topic linked to above) before posting this one. I did not find answers to what I was unsure about in the other topics I read, so I started this thread.
Here is the link: viewtopic.php?t=47601&highlight=ip35+pro+fan
You're saying you actually looked for... right?

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Thu May 08, 2008 10:54 am

So in other words, I could get any fan and not have to worry about how it connects to the motherboard?
Absolutely
The only minor potential issue I can see is with trying to connect a 4-pin fan to a tightly spaced 3-pin header on the motherboard, but looking at the layout of this board I don't think that'll be a problem.
You wouldn't be able to put a 4-pin fan on AUXFAN1 as AUXFAN2 is right next to it, but that's hardly likely to be a worry.
Why did you open a new thread while there's the same with all the information you need in the forum?!
To be fair, the other thread only answers the OQ in a round about way. A quick scan wouldn't necessarily reveal that fact, especially when looking for info on compatibility with specific fans.