Custom system build: Would this work[?]

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Asulc

Custom system build: Would this work[?]

Post by Asulc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:39 pm

Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128072

CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115037

Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820146726

GPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814102720

HDD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136151

The computer will be built in sections, so this is all that will be in this part of the computer. The CPU is cooled with a scythe Ninja, with no fan attached. There is one fan blowing into the case from the front (down the graphics card) and one fan pulling out just above the Ninja (like in the P182). The Fans are these ones ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835185058 ), controlled by this controller ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811998041 ).

Would just these fans be enough to keep the system in reasonable temps?

Asulc

Post by Asulc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:46 pm

Thank you in advance for all the help!

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:40 am

It's hard to tell from such a brief description of the case....custom made completely? Two fans, with one blowing out, another in, and the case with mesh openings all over?

Having multiple passive openings all over the case, assures a part of the airflow will by-pass the hot spots completely.....which means you will need more airflow than necessary. And that means more noise than necessary. A better drawing of the proposed setup may be more helpful.

Asulc

Post by Asulc » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:07 pm

Sorry for taking so long. Here is a sketchup of my design. Mind you, it is very rough.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:27 pm

Hello,

What would this case gain for you? What advantages would it have, over a purchased case?

Asulc

Post by Asulc » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:03 pm

The only part of the computer that will be on the desk is the DVD drive and a few USB ports. My reasoning with this project is that I will be able to put the computer and the power supply under my desk (there still is open airflow, so that is not a problem). My desk will be kept very clean. Also with this case, it is smaller, and there isn't a prebuilt case that would fit in the area that I have available. Custom built cases can also be made to look however the builder wants them to look.

Asulc

Post by Asulc » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:38 pm

Bluefront wrote:It's hard to tell from such a brief description of the case....custom made completely?
Yes, the case will be custom built. I will be using 2mm aluminum for the panels. I redesigned the case so that the only openings are at the fans. I think that that should provide enough ventilation to cool the parts. If you don't think so, please let me know.
Also, I made a thread under quiet VGA about the sapphire ultimate (the fanless cards) 3870 and the 3850. I was wondering mainly what the difference in heat put off by the two cards was, and how much of a performance boost there would be between them when gaming.

Thank you all so much for all the responses. Please keep them coming so that I can build my computer in a few weeks (if all goes well financially)!

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:04 am

Bluefront wrote:Having multiple passive openings all over the case, assures a part of the airflow will by-pass the hot spots completely.....which means you will need more airflow than necessary. And that means more noise than necessary. A better drawing of the proposed setup may be more helpful.
I agree. Mesh is usually helpful if the fan sit's in some distance and can pull air through the whole meshed area, therefore reducing resistance - very much like Bluefront's huge airfilters.

I would try to keep the airflow as straight as possible. Is there a specific reason why the exhaust is on the right side?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:36 am

With optical drives, power supplies, various ports, completely outside the case, you have a big airflow advantage. And you can come up with a design much different from the norm.

Two fanless hot video cards in your proposed drawing.....problematic. Never having tried such a setup, I can only guess. They'll probably run very hot. Remove the problem, and the setup should cool ok, but at what noise level?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:19 am

Hello,

How do you propose to connect the motherboard to the optical drives?

Asulc

Post by Asulc » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:45 am

Cistron wrote:I would try to keep the airflow as straight as possible. Is there a specific reason why the exhaust is on the right side?
On the left side of the case is a wall. The back exhausts to the wall behind the case. The front and the right have no walls, and a direct airflow. I could build the case to exhaust to the back, but then the case would have to be built bigger and it would not fit in the space I have available. I will measure the area that I have when I get home (I am at school right now).
I modified the case in the second drawing so that the only openings are right at the fans (one in the front and one on the right side).

Asulc

Post by Asulc » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:48 am

Bluefront wrote:Two fanless hot video cards in your proposed drawing.....problematic. Never having tried such a setup, I can only guess. They'll probably run very hot. Remove the problem, and the setup should cool ok, but at what noise level?
There is actually only one video card. The other square that is next to the sapphire 3850 ultimate is a western digital one terabyte green power hard drive.

Asulc

Post by Asulc » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:50 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,

How do you propose to connect the motherboard to the optical drives?
There will be one small hole in the back of the case that the wires will feed through. The cables will be lengthened so that they reach the parts that they need to be connected to.

Asulc

Post by Asulc » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:50 pm

Any other comments or suggestions? I really want this to work well.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:06 am

Your design is similar to my last SFF from last fall. The PSU is external, the Ninja is right next to the outer wall. If I would lay this over on it's side, it would perform about the same as your drawing. The difference....my setup has no intake fans. And my exhaust fan (the only fan), is in the middle of the case, blowing outward through the Ninja.

I'm using an A-Open board that runs on Pentium M......plenty cool. A hotter-running setup would require more airflow than the single 92mm Nexus in there right now. The external PSU is a fan-less Zen, but a PICO would work as well. That setup has an internal laptop optical drive, but would work the same with an external optical drive.

There's no doubt your proposed setup will work.....how quiet and how hot it runs is the question.

Asulc

Post by Asulc » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:56 pm

Looks like it will work for me! Thank you all for the help!